What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd10: Non Parra games - Magic Round Suncorp Stadium

strider

Post Whore
I didn't see all of Ricky's presser .... but I'm gonna give him a big hooray for part of it .... tho no doubt he was aiming to defend his players

He said something along the lines of .... the game is built on being a collission sport - that is the spectacle - if the league wants to take away that then so be it, but he needs some notice so he can sign some different merkins ... lol

I think its actually a fair point ..... they suddenly go all, oh don't hurt eachother, mid f**kin season ...... bring on "tip 1,2,3"

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's right about one thing though, no one goes out there meaning to do a head high tackle and these rules wont change that

TheParraboy

Staff member
I didn't see all of Ricky's presser .... but I'm gonna give him a big hooray for part of it .... tho no doubt he was aiming to defend his players

He said something along the lines of .... the game is built on being a collission sport - that is the spectacle - if the league wants to take away that then so be it, but he needs some notice so he can sign some different merkins ... lol

I think its actually a fair point ..... they suddenly go all, oh don't hurt eachother, mid f**kin season ...... bring on "tip 1,2,3"

I like what Trent Robinson said, made the best sense from anyone

He blatantly said in so many words, that coaches have been teaching players systematically to tackle high for years, and we need to get back to tackling around the legs . He also said you need a full off season to train for it, which is fair too

Uncle Wayne also made a good point, if ref misses a head high so be it, will get picked up the review committee iand appropriate suspension. Was saying loss of momentum throughout the game is ruining the game

eels_fan

First Grade
10 players charged by the MRC from 3 games yesterday

papalii - 3 games with early plea - misses origin 1

wighton and Hodgson with miss 1 game with early plea.

All others just fines

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

He blatantly said in so many words, that coaches have been teaching players systematically to tackle high for years, and we need to get back to tackling around the legs . He also said you need a full off season to train for it, which is fair too
If they want merkins tackling around the legs they need to slow the game down to give defenders time to get onside. Otherwise they'll just get endless dummy half running and penalties for markers not square.

A major change would be to eliminate markers altogether and make explicit the expectation that there would be one or more defenders offside on every play. To avoid one out shit up the middle they could make it against the rules to target those offside defenders but then you're just layering more ref judgements on the game.

Noise

Coach

I reckon just as many merkins get concussed from attempting a low tackle (due to knees, hips in the head) as guys do by getting hit high.

strider

Post Whore
If they want merkins tackling around the legs they need to slow the game down to give defenders time to get onside. Otherwise they'll just get endless dummy half running and penalties for markers not square.

A major change would be to eliminate markers altogether and make explicit the expectation that there would be one or more defenders offside on every play. To avoid one out shit up the middle they could make it against the rules to target those offside defenders but then you're just layering more ref judgements on the game.
it will be six agains until one team scores ..... repeat, repeat, repeat

strider

Post Whore
I reckon just as many merkins get concussed from attempting a low tackle (due to knees, hips in the head) as guys do by getting hit high.
tackle em by the dick .... it won't hurt you .... they can't run without dicks

TheParraboy

Staff member

Possibly

A lot would come down to technique, and the responsibility of the ball carrier not to raise the knees or do crazy shit

Maybe its the speed of the game and they are so much fitter these days, but cant recall as many guys concussed senseless in the 80s by tackling low than these days them going high.

Ray Price used to get concussed and groggy quite a bit, but that was foul play most part, not his defensive style

Noise

Coach

Could the ref maybe class a legs tackle as dominant and let them hold on longer and/or let 1 player flop on a legs tackle?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well it’s not specifically in the rules that you can’t.
That's a fair point actually. You're not allowed to make high contact but is there anything stopping the defender from delivering an aggressive cock punch? Other than, y'know, common human decency?

TheParraboy

Staff member
LOL

Dragons making sure the sin binnings are still working

Down to 11 after about 11 min

One off one sin bin

Wonder if Tyrell gets sent off if Papenhuyzen doesn’t go off on stretcher ?

Latest posts