What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd18: Parra v Manly LIVE GAME DAY thread 21/7/19

Bandwagon

Staff member
It just boils down to not getting them on their backs, it really is that simple.

Tbh I reckon we need to commit more numbers to the tackle so we can dictate the the speed of the play the ball. if it means we leave a few more gaps out wide so be it, at least it'll take 'em a little time to get it out there

Eelementary

Post Whore
61% vs 39%

We get a fair share and we can match them.

You can’t compete when the other team gets 5 penalties in a row.

Even the most one-eyed, blue-and-gold-blooded Eels tragic should be able to see that the brief now will not be to win (as it is probably not an achievable outcome now), but to close the gap, and show some pride...

No way we are matching them today. The damage is done.

Wally21

Bench
If that appeases you, then that's cool.

However, several other people (probably myself included) don't accept that; our defensive attitude has been absolutely disgusting.
I don’t disagree, and the defensive attitude has no doubt made it so much easier for Manly, I’m just saying that most of not all teams would struggle against this type of game Manly is playing

Eelementary

Post Whore
It just boils down to not getting them on their backs, it really is that simple.

Tbh I reckon we need to commit more numbers to the tackle so we can dictate the the speed of the play the ball. if it means we leave a few more gaps out wide so be it, at least it'll take 'em a little time to get it out there

I think we were doing that - and we didn't have the intelligence to wral the ball up, and Fonua Blake (in particular) tore us a new one with his offloads.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Manly are only playing as well as we are letting them, the penalty count doesn't help, but they are winning that because they are dominating the ruck.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think we were doing that - and we didn't have the intelligence to wral the ball up, and Fonua Blake (in particular) tore us a new one with his offloads.

Yeah, but the second man in has to f**king hit hard and stick, the then you can wrap up the ball

We are playing like we just don't wanna hurt anyone, f**k that shits eyes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don’t disagree, and the defensive attitude has no doubt made it so much easier for Manly, I’m just saying that most of not all teams would struggle against this type of game Manly is playing

I don't disagree with your assessment - Manly are playing very well.

But I believe a winners' mentality comes from a sort of "we will beat anyone" arrogance, and we, as an organisation (from the fans, to the coach, and the players) seem to frequently resort to good sportsmanship, and pay kudos to our opponents - when the "winners" are filthy that they didn't complete at 75%+.

The Storm demolished the Titans, and Martina was still spewing about their completion rate...

Soto

Bench
Well, I don't know if I can agree with that...

I just think we have a pack of:

(1) dumb
(2) lazy
(3) ruck-challenged

forwards.
The most concernin thing is knowing what they will do and doing FA to stop it..our ruck defence once again is fkn awful. Get Welch and Jai Arrow in asap. Mahoney will get better each year but gets dominated too frequently at the moment..i dont he has been looked after well enough by the club this year

Tooooks

Bench
Why haven’t we addressed our ruck defence. Surely if a nuff nuff like me can see it, why can’t the coaching staff? Why has there been no improvement? Every smart coach knows exactly how to beat us.

I’d we don’t recruit well for next year, it will be more of the same.

Kornstar

Coach
Well, I don't know if I can agree with that...

I just think we have a pack of:

(1) dumb
(2) lazy
(3) ruck-challenged

forwards.

Yes we do and we have had that for a very long time.

We are unfit and have been as a club for a very long time, in fact a majority of this century. We have always won games with skilful players, not hard running and hard hitting forwards. Sure we have had small periods where the forwards seem "on" but for the most part the Tim Smith's, Hayne's, Inu's, Semi's etc. have won us games.

We don't appear to be the 1%er type team where the forwards are big and strong and know their job and just need to execute the simple stuff so the skilful players can play off the back of that simple play.

Both our tries have come from kicking today, no great team play........and defence this year has been abysmal the entire time.......

BA better recruit some decent forwards for next year or it will be more of the same!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes we do and we have had that for a very long time.

We are unfit and have been as a club for a very long time, in fact a majority of this century. We have always won games with skilful players, not hard running and hard hitting forwards. Sure we have had small periods where the forwards seem "on" but for the most part the Tim Smith's, Hayne's, Inu's, Semi's etc. have won us games.

We don't appear to be the 1%er type team where the forwards are big and strong and know their job and just need to execute the simple stuff so the skilful players can play off the back of that simple play.

Both our tries have come from kicking today, no great team play........and defence this year has been abysmal the entire time.......

BA better recruit some decent forwards for next year or it will be more of the same!

I agree - our issues have been predominantly the same for almost two decades, now, and we've had coaching, and team, changes, so I'm not sure what the answer is...