What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

lucablight

First Grade
Despite losing RCG we made 1.6m more per set and they had over 160m more in kick returns, which I assume gets added as well. So obviously there was a lot of crap out there tonight but it wasn't spreading the ball.
Our set plays in the opposition 20m zone are too slow and predictable. Apart from Gutherson no one really seems to know how to create overlaps.

Our set plays in the opposition 20m zone are too slow and predictable. Apart from Gutherson no one really seems to know how to create overlaps.
Agreed. But from our tryline to their 20, we did okay. Probably above average. More metres and less getting bashed. Just don't want to go back to the same old thing because we lost tonight for different reasons.

emjaycee

Coach
I want MJC to make some comments. Come on mate, have a go.
What do you want me to say mate, that the coach is great?
Never have and never will because never thought he was.

But like any coach he can only work with what he's got and I reckon we have a 6th placed team and have for the last few years. If we don't get some strike in attack, we will continue to have game plans that are limited to the skills we have on the field and we will continue to panic when we things don't go our way.

Avenger

Immortal

But like any coach he can only work with what he's got and I reckon we have a 6th placed team and have for the last few years. If we don't get some strike in attack, we will continue to have game plans that are limited to the skills we have on the field and we will continue to panic when we things don't go our way.
I think I predicted us to come 6th. Anyway, would you sack BA if he didn't win another game this season?

emjaycee

Coach
I think I predicted us to come 6th. Anyway, would you sack BA if he didn't win another game this season?
Nope. He has one more year on his contract and I would give him half a season next year before telling him he isnt needed in 2023.

But I would force some new assistants onto him for 2022. We need some fresh ideas and they definitely aren't coming from the current coaching team. I would also be going all out for a superstar strike player, even if it meant signing some park nuft to spot 30 on minimum wage and blowing a squad position. With Development players the squad you can use is actually 33 after June or whatever and we normally only use 27-29 anyway.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sack Gutherson!
Sack Opacic!
Sack Dylan, and Nathan, Brown!
Sack Paulo!
Sack Waqa!
Sack Sivo!
Sack Jake!
Sack BA!

Tbh we don't really need massive changes in our playing roster: Moses back will be a HUGE plus, I would probably go for Penisini over Opacic (I like Opacic, but he always makes several errors per game), and maybe shake up our pack a bit (imo, Paulo, Matterson, and Papali'i look buggered).

I can't believe some people want Gutherson gone...it's like all the good will he has earned has been eroded because of a form slump he's in (and he still made several huge plays tonight).

I'm as passed off as most of you, but to be honest, with our coaching staff the way it is, and the way we play, the writing has been on the wall for some time...

lucablight

First Grade

We have Gutherson, Sivo and Ferguson in the backs. How is that not having strike?

Happy MEel

First Grade
So did I, but that was based on our squad and coaching. I think with better coaching we more than capable and a good signing or two and we become contenders.

emjaycee

Coach
If he loses most of the games for the rest of the season he has to go. How the f**k can you stick with a merkin that in 8 years has won nothing but a wooden spoon?
What if it's the players?

Sivo
Opacic
Smith
Jarthur
Fergo

That's 5 of tonight's backs who wouldn't make Penrith, Melbourne or Souths 2021 top 17 (maybe Melbourne would pick Sivo for Gennings at the start of the year).

Happy MEel

First Grade
Nope. He has one more year on his contract and I would give him half a season next year before telling him he isnt needed in 2023.

But I would force some new assistants onto him for 2022. We need some fresh ideas and they definitely aren't coming from the current coaching team. I would also be going all out for a superstar strike player, even if it meant signing some park nuft to spot 30 on minimum wage and blowing a squad position. With Development players the squad you can use is actually 33 after June or whatever and we normally only use 27-29 anyway.
Hynes would have been perfect. Not sure why we weren’t in the frame to be honest.

Avenger

Immortal

As long as there are coaches like Wayne Bennett still out there I'd be enquiring on him and letting BA know that his position is under review. You can't say no to a coach like him. I don't care if he 's 80 he is still better than the bumbling stubborn fool that we have now.

I've heard the chances of Flanagan ever coming to Parra is next to zero, but then again that source is somewhat biased.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What if it's the players?

Sivo
Opacic
Smith
Jarthur
Fergo

That's 5 of tonight's backs who wouldn't make Penrith, Melbourne or Souths 2021 top 17 (maybe Melbourne would pick Sivo for Gennings at the start of the year).

To be honest, Melbourne and Penrith could pick all those players, and still be competitive, because:

Brandon Smith
Harry Grant
Ryan Papenhuyzen
Josh Addo-Carr
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Cameron Munster

And

Api Koirosau
Nathan Cleary
Jerome Luai
Viliame Kikau
James Fisher-Harris