What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

Gazzamatta

Coach
At full strength and in top form, how do we play? Forwards domination, quick play the balls and the points come. As a result, defence is easier other teams become gassed due to our forwards keeping them on the back foot.

So what happens when this doesn't go to plan? Well, that depends on how well we are playing. After that second try, you could see that was it for us.

Do you see the Storm or Roosters give up? Very, very rarely if not at all.

I think talent wise, our squad is ok, up there with the best. It is the difference in coaching, mental strength (which TBH has been an issue for decades) that separates us from the top sides. Rarely have we played to the best of our ability in a final or a Grand Final. The next six weeks defines us - will we fold and become easybeats or do we stand up and make a challenge for the Premiership?

Every team will have injuries, but smart teams have contingencies in place. Will we pick up another forward today to plug the hole of RCG and Nuikore? The last two games have shown that we have a major issue in attack - just like the second half of last year. OK so Moses has been out, but does that mean we have no structure for the replacement to fit into?

We have most members of this squad locked in for next year. Without major changes to the coaching approach can we expect any difference next year?
Re options at 6 or 7, we refused to use Rankin and we released Salmon after providing him zero chances. Probably a predictable situation given some horrible decisions.

TheRam

Coach
So if we go back to our boring game plan for the rest of the year you'll be OK with that?

Yes and no. We need to start training them now to have a plan B. Nothing over the top, just simple stuff that players like Moses, Mahoney and Gutho can adjust the team to when we are getting belted up the middle. I have posted it all before and couldn't be F'ed going through it all again.

But next recruit should be for speed and the offseason should be with new assistant coaches and game plans.

Rockafella

Juniors
All of a sudden you have two big wingers still but Waqa gives speed.
2 x centres who can run and create.
2 x halves who can create and a full back with speed.
I absolutely love that backline this is the best post I’ve seen for ages Hindu but super coach would never do it I agree brown and Penisini should be our centres!!!!! Ray

Gazzamatta

Coach
Sivo is strong and great 10mtrs out from line. And also gives you 2 or 3 strong carries a game.
But the rest of his game isn't NRL level. It's just he is so good 10mtrs out. And those odd big runs that keeps you wanting him in the side..
Hes even stopped scoring from 10 meters out. Way too lazy. Greg the break dancer was better. I do love The Sivo Chant at Bankwest though.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Arthur implied at the presser that it wasn't his idea to throw the ball around. They went away from the gameplan. Yes, if it keeps happening it means there's a problem, but in nearly every game this year our discipline and patience have been good. I hope we get back to what works next week. It worked when we put five tries past Easts earlier this year. Hopefully we can make it work against Souths. If Moses is out I don't like our chances, regardless of who wears 7.
I didnt think we were believing what BA said at pressers?
The spreading of the ball happened from tackle 1. Liar, liar, pants on fire BA. It was your response to criticism from those "entitled to their opinion". Immature, non confident coaching. Little wonder the players were snapping at each other. I think the love is being exhausted quickly.

eel01s

Bench
It's one thing to throw the ball around, it's another to give it to someone in a better position to advance the ball. The problem with our guys is just that - lack of support/flat footed/out of position.

We could have Cleary and Luai in the halves but if the outside backs aren't running the right lines the attack will still be shit. That is why I am unhappy as a fan. I can see we aren't training enough to get our attack into that resembling a top four side.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The past two weeks we have tried two very different game plans. One was the predictable. Easily countered by an enthusiastic defence.
Defence that enthusiastic isn't easy or every team would do it every week. And we still nearly stole it in the last ten minutes. If Moses played we surely would have won it much sooner.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We needed tweaks at this stage, not what we got last night. He rattled the players and they responded in kind.
The media rattled the players. Arthur said in the presser he didn't want them playing like that. The media and fans wanted them playing like that, until they did. Now you're admitting it wasn't the way to go.

Is it Arthur's fault they played poorly? Is it Bennett's fault Souths conceded 100 points in two games this year? Shit happens.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't say that Avenger..you will be shot down saying we have the 4th best attack in the comp.
Coincendentally we are 6th in attack and sliding...
The teams with better attack all have more current Origin players. Massive coincidence.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Offloads will tire defenses. It is something we should persist with and it will start to come more naturally.
We still lead the NRL in offloads: https://www.nrl.com/stats/teams/?competition=111&season=2021&stat=28
This is not to say we won't drop a lot of ball and get flogged.
We also still lead the NRL in errors: https://www.nrl.com/stats/teams/?competition=111&season=2021&stat=37
Our problem was we did it at the wrong times.
Agreed, decision making is our biggest weakness, which is why we need a simple game plan until we recruit or develop smarter players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Did you stop for lunch? I had a Portuguese chicken burger
East coast merkins wanted to have lunch at 10:30 my time, when I had only just finished breakfast, and then they wanted to push through until finish. Now I'm eating beers.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree with all those points.

All this season, I have held hope the we might possibly be contenders, although I always had my doubts.
Last week vs the Raiders convinced me that we aren't even close.
The one game where we needed to start standing up and prove our worth.
We failed dismally tbh. Last night just doubly confirmed my thoughts.
It's time for change. We are currently going nowhere.
It just confirmed for me that we are f**ked without Moses. I'm sure there's other clubs that would be in the same boat without their halfback.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, need to keep using the ball like we did last night. Updated stats show each team had 50% possession, they had slightly more run metres at 1767m to 1704m, and their completion rate was 76% and ours 74%. But we made a heap more passes than them, with 275 to 215. The errors were mostly inside their 20.
If we had held the ball and kicked better they would have had less opportunity to score against us and their defence would've been more fatigued at the back end of the game. Against a tired defence we might even have scored a try or two late in each half, like when we beat them in round 9.