What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22 2023: Non Parra games

Bandwagon

Staff member
Manly and Newcastle are still behind us on wins, which is what will matter come end of the regular season.

King-Gutho94

Coach
but they're ahead of us on points because of their draw
how fkd are we there are two teams with a point from a draw and they're both above us
They have had 3 byes.

Technically we are half a point ahead of both of wins.

They have an extra game up there sleeve though.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Knights are playing some decent footy right now, if they keep it up They'll make the eight. But they'll take points off the Bunnies and or the Sharks getting there ( 33 points ) They have a decent draw for them

Manly aren't at all convincing, they lose last night against the Dragons but for that call of no try for grounded but not over the line ( it was for mine ) The refs call was held up, not short, the bunker called grounded, but short and supported the onfield decision?

Manly have Roosters, Panthers, Warriors the next three weeks, they'll need to win two of those to make the eight I reckon. Their draw with the Knights cancels out their poor PD against us, but It doesn't cancel their PD against the Knights, If they both win 3 or 4 from here, Knights still finish above them on PD.

the phantom menace

First Grade
We're still 4 competition points behind the Raiders. They face Tigers, Storm, Bulldogs, Broncos and Sharks. Let's say they win the two gimmes (lose against Storm and Broncos), and should win a third against the Sharks.

Let's say we'll win two (losing against the Broncos and Panthers) plus our bye - it's not enough to finish ahead of them - regardless of heir final round result against the Sharks.

Knights are three points ahead of us and face Dolphins, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Sharks and Dragons. I'm thinking four wins (loss to Rabbitohs) - not enough for us to realistically catch.

That's your top eight there - even without the Sea Eagles, who have Roosters, Panthers, Warriors, Bulldogs, Tigers. They're looking at two or three wins there (losing to Panthers and Warriors, and a tough game on form against the Roosters). Maybe we eventually jump them if they lose to the Roosters (even though I've unfairly given us a win against the Roosters), but as above on form it's not enough to get us into the eight.

All power to BA for talking up that we are still "in control", but it's clear to most beyond blind hope that our 2023 ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yes, we are shit and they are not........... based on comparative form.

Can you quantify that?

For example, since the halfway point of the season ( round 14 on )

Knights B L L L W B W W W ( wins, Dogs, Tigers, Storm Canberra )

Manly B W L L W B L W W ( wins Dolphins, Roosters, Sharks, Dragons )

Parra B W W W B L W L L ( wins, Dogs, Manly, Dolphins, Titans )

Looks pretty similar, admittedly our form has dipped, theirs has improved, moreso the Knights, but the number of wins / Losses / byes is identical. I'd hardly say that supports our form is shit and theirs is not.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Can you quantify that?

For example, since the halfway point of the season ( round 14 on )

Knights B L L L W B W W W ( wins, Dogs, Tigers, Storm Canberra )

Manly B W L L W B L W W ( wins Dolphins, Roosters, Sharks, Dragons )

Parra B W W W B L W L L ( wins, Dogs, Manly, Dolphins, Titans )

Looks pretty similar, admittedly our form has dipped, theirs has improved, moreso the Knights, but the number of wins / Losses / byes is identical. I'd hardly say that supports our form is shit and theirs is not.
Your acknowledgement our form has dipped and theirs has improved is key. Momentum at the right time of year is everything, in terms of heightening chances to snag wins that would otherwise be unexpected. They've got it in them at present, we don't. I'd rely more on momentum of form than historical number of wins/losses/byes as a predictor.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Let's say we'll win two (losing against the Broncos and Panthers) plus our bye - it's not enough to finish ahead of them - regardless of heir final round result against the Sharks.

Yes, we will need to win three games, two won't cut it.

Knights are three points ahead of us and face Dolphins, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Sharks and Dragons. I'm thinking four wins (loss to Rabbitohs) - not enough for us to realistically catch.

Knights are on 25, we're on 24, that's not a three point difference.

We're still 4 competition points behind the Raiders. They face Tigers, Storm, Bulldogs, Broncos and Sharks. Let's say they win the two gimmes (lose against Storm and Broncos), and should win a third against the Sharks.

Canberra beat the Tigers by 1 point in round 14 via a 77th minute penalty, and only beat the Dogs 34 - 30 in round 10, whilst I'd agree they'll likely win those games, form says they aren't gimmes.

Their form since round 14, W L B W W W B L L. ( wins, Tigers, Roosters, Titans, Dragons )

Bandwagon

Staff member
Your acknowledgement our form has dipped and theirs has improved is key. Momentum at the right time of year is everything, in terms of heightening chances to snag wins that would otherwise be unexpected. They've got it in them at present, we don't. I'd rely more on momentum of form than historical number of wins/losses/byes as a predictor.

The change in form is thus far short lived, particularly for us and for Manly, not so much for the Knights. With five rounds to go that could change as easily as it remains the same. Not so long ago we put five wins in a row together to keep our season alive.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Knights are on 25, we're on 24, that's not a three point difference.
True
Canberra beat the Tigers by 1 point in round 14 via a 77th minute penalty, and only beat the Dogs 34 - 30 in round 10, whilst I'd agree they'll likely win those games, form says they aren't gimmes.

Their form since round 14, W L B W W W B L L. ( wins, Tigers, Roosters, Titans, Dragons )
Canberra are playing shit, but Ricky will be apoplectic if they drop games against the two lowest placed teams - given they are currently still well placed in the 8. Our coaching staff seem much more forgiving of the plod we sometimes dish up in place of proper team effort.

Bandwagon

Staff member
True

Canberra are playing shit, but Ricky will be apoplectic if they drop games against the two lowest placed teams - given they are currently still well placed in the 8. Our coaching staff seem much more forgiving of the plod we sometimes dish up in place of proper team effort.

Are they playing any "shitter" than they've played all season? Obviously there's a reason why their PD is -78, it was -50 end of round 13, so in that regard it's a continuation of form.

Their cumulative points differential from 11 wins is 53, meaning when they've won on average it's been by 4.8 points.

Their largest margin was against us by a whole 8 points with them at full strength and us missing Moses and Reg. Hardly convincing.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Raiders? Yeah, I haven't been impressed they're a premiership threat at all - despite their high standing on the table.

I gues with a PD like that, it just signals that they can be good at the scramble - winning some games by small margins that by rights they shouldn't, but getting smashed by big margins on more than a few occasions.

Kind of like us, but with better scramble to put results on the board (particularly earlier in the season).