What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys

rabbitohs95

Bench
Very disappointing considering we were winning. Didn't think the refs helped us though. In the first half we get penalised for a blocker on the kicks and then Linnett deliberately takes Reddy out of a try scoring opportunity and nothing.

Need to improve our long kicking and marker defence.

alien

Referee
just got back from the game. 1st half was OK. 2nd half was bad from the start. some of those line breaks that allowed cowboys to score was because of shocking defense. hopefully sutton and walker come back next monday against the sharks

Rabbits20

Immortal
Very disappointing considering we were winning. Didn't think the refs helped us though. In the first half we get penalised for a blocker on the kicks and then Linnett deliberately takes Reddy out of a try scoring opportunity and nothing.

Need to improve our long kicking and marker defence.

Agreed.

Also another minor one with Johnston trying to take the ball up for a 20m tap. Did you see a Cowboys player tugging at Johnston's Jersey and pushing him backwards? It was a blatant penalty.

Did you also see the ref flapping his arms when Cowboys were offside? Ah ref, your not meant to constantly coach them you must penalise them, lol!

I'm not blaming the refs at all. Souths lost that game fully by ourselves with bad defence in the forwards too.

But in all games in general the refs just annoy me like the Raiders v Storm match the other day.

Oh Oh! Here is another video ref it's time to flip a coin again! I just hope a big mistake from them doesn't affect big matches later on this year.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Get rid of Millard and/or Reddy ASAP.

Must be Millard 1st.

Reddy played well tonight. In our top 5-6 best players. Credit where credit is due.

When Dylan is back it should be:

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Dylan
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

That's how we started in WCC and Round 1 and it should go back to that.

AceAv

Juniors
Shocking ref calls left right and center. That no try on half time was pathetic. Stewart did a complete dive and the refs lapped it up.

I really think you guys are going to struggle for points without Reynolds. A lot of occasions in there where Souths had the momentum, the speed and the opposition on the back foot, but no good play to follow up.

doyen

Bench
Must be Millard 1st.

Reddy played well tonight. In our top 5-6 best players. Credit where credit is due.

When Dylan is back it should be:

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Dylan
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

That's how we started in WCC and Round 1 and it should go back to that.

This is probably the best combo.

I think Goodwin is a good,solid performer & is in his best posse.

Reddy is Reddy--never quite ready--but I,too,thought he did pretty well last night in not so easy circumstances.

doyen

Bench
Shocking ref calls left right and center. That no try on half time was pathetic. Stewart did a complete dive and the refs lapped it up.

I really think you guys are going to struggle for points without Reynolds. A lot of occasions in there where Souths had the momentum, the speed and the opposition on the back foot, but no good play to follow up.

The video ref made the correct call.

From my point of view,Stewart was still in a position to attempt a diving tackle when a Cowboy's player blocked that opportunity---a fair call!!

Stewart: Eighty-Minute Performance Required

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan
Tue 14th April, 12:05PM
Glenn Stewart spoke of the need to put in 80 minute performances following last night’s defeat at the hands of the North Queensland Cowboys at ANZ Stadium.
After dominating proceedings early in the clash and going to the break leading, the Cowboys came out in the second half and scored 26 unanswered points to down the Rabbitohs at home.
“It was a disappointing finish for us,” said Stewart.
“We started off really well and that second half, our completions were right down and we paid the price against a very good team.”
While Stewart admitted that the loss of Adam Reynolds was a blow to his side, the representative player insisted that his reshuffled Rabbitohs outfit was capable of getting the job done.
“Those things happen but in this game,” said Stewart of injuries.
“It’s physical and it’s a long year and you’ve got to adjust to those sort of things. But in saying that, we put out a team that was more than competitive like we showed in the first half.
“We could have got the job done but they played better than us in the second half and that was the end result.
“There is obviously things we can work on, but there’s no excuses. Everyone does a role here and like I said, we were good enough to do all our roles in the first half but we just need to do it for 80 minutes.”
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/04/14/stewart_eighty_minut_0.html

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade

I thought it was a try.

These times when a team has injuries is when other players get a chance to step up and it can make the side stronger later in the season, provided that the side can still make it to the finals.

Rabbits20

Immortal

That GI try which was disallowed by video ref when on field ref said we have a try was a pathetic decision.

GI had control of the ball still when he grounded it. Any other team in the same situation as that I'd be saying the same, clearly a fair try.

The try disallowed to Cowboys was also a try, but that was a square up call as they realised they had stuffed up only 1 minute before that.

I'm hoping that Sutto makes a difference when he returns at 6. His calm head will be good for the team. Souths kicking game needs improvement too. Keary needs to find the grass a lot more than he did last night.

Imo Cowboys overall were a lot more hungry for the win than what Souths were.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I thought it was a try.

These times when a team has injuries is when other players get a chance to step up and it can make the side stronger later in the season, provided that the side can still make it to the finals.

Yeah it's good to see that Brown is starting to get opportunities.

Also good to see Grevsmuhl getting good game and stepping up and starting last night.

Also a good test to see how Keary performs at 7 with Adam not there.

We want Madge to have good selection headaches later in the year.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
CONTROVERSIAL DECISIONS.
For all intents & purposes the ref had to make the decision in favour of Stewart who was still in a position to make a desperate,last ditch attempt to tackle the Cowboy attacking player.
Lowe blocked that opportunity,as slim as it was!!
Stewart has admitted he dived but the ref can't assume that at the time ,& can only go on what he witnesses.

The video ref could clearly see that position too, & so can I.

The refs,both on-field,& in the video box, interpreted the same way.

My gut feeling with the GI episode was a fair try scored by him.

The on field ref saw it as a try & he should have had the final call--the video evidence seemed inconclusive!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
the video ref should watch stuff like that at normal speed

I agree fully. The video refs just tend to keep slowing it down more. When it's a try they just keep slowing it down further looking for any excuse to say no try. In that GI decision it was a definite try, so I'm not sure what they were watching in the video refs box.

Latest posts