What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Estate Agents

So I am thinking of selling my house in the middle of the year and I am going to start getting market appraisals.

I have 3 Real Estate Agents lined up for next week.

Any tips or questions on what to ask them etc and anything to look out for ?.

I know they will all go the hard sell but I am really just after a potential sale price at this stage.

Cheers

Parra

Referee
I have only read this.

The scale of commission does you no favours. It does not provide sufficient incentive for the agent to get top dollar for your property.

Lets say you want $520k. The agent gets an offer for $500k. A this point they might get $10k for selling your place. What is the incentive for them to spend more time and money to get you an extra $10k? Will they work hard for a couple of hundred bucks more (for them)? But the difference to you is thousands.

So do home owners ever say "Here is the deal - normal commission to $510k, but I will give you 50% of everything you get over that".

It is an interesting way to think of it. Now the agent has a $5k incentive to get you $520k. Otherwise he will recommend you take the $500k offer. It is not worth his time or effort to do otherwise.

They are all a bunch of merkins. Don't take any of their best mates antics. Just keep your cards close to your chest.

If one agent gives you an appraisal significantly higher then the others put a cross through their name, they are just trying to secure ur business.

Always remember they are salesmen and are only ever in it for themselves matter how nice they may be.

They are all a bunch of merkins. Don't take any of their best mates antics. Just keep your cards close to your chest.

If one agent gives you an appraisal significantly higher then the others put a cross through their name, they are just trying to secure ur business.

Always remember they are salesmen and are only ever in it for themselves matter how nice they may be.

I will have the poker face on...only going to tell them that I will be selling mid year and nothing more.

As chicken hunter said , be wary of high appraisals.

Get an indepedent valuation if you can.

I sold my place last year and picked from 3 agents. I ended up going with the agent I thought would be the best communicator with the buyers.

The place I was selling was a 2 bed apt. Close to the city. Given the type of buyers I felt would be coming through I went with the younger agent who I thought would be a better match for the buyers.

I also had the standard 2% commission but gave the agent a 10% commision for the amount over a certain value.

stuke

Bench
Be realistic with price, ideally have an idea what your place is worth already enforce they start telling you. Ask them for comparable sales for the area - they should be able to provide details of similar properties close to you and what they sold for.

At the end of the day choose the one that you feel best with - first impressions are normally pretty spot on and in the real estate game they are very important.

gordsy

Juniors
Don't choose the one you feel best with. Who cares if he is your best mate or not, all you need to be sure of is, can they can get the job done. If you can give me an idea of where you live I may be able to recommend people to talk or and stay away from.

My best tip is , go to opens of all the agents you were thinking of calling in and see how they operate, how they follow up, what info they do and don't give. If they are rubbish then that's how they will probably be for you when selling your place.

_Johnsy

Referee
Agree 100% with HH & Gordsy IIndependent appraisal is the way to go. For the cost of getting it done it will take all the guess work out of the equation for you. When in Townsville & had to sell, I actually went to a few open houses to get a feel for how varying agents worked. Ended up going with a "flat fee" agent. From memory was about 6-7k. We thought long & hard about the price, had it valued & got 5k less than asking price & signed contract within 40minutes of the 1st open house.

One thing is constant in real estate houses priced well to meet the market, always sell.

Last edited:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
So I am thinking of selling my house in the middle of the year and I am going to start getting market appraisals.

I have 3 Real Estate Agents lined up for next week.

Any tips or questions on what to ask them etc and anything to look out for ?.

I know they will all go the hard sell but I am really just after a potential sale price at this stage.

Cheers

I Will give you a tip on sales prices for your suburb. Go to realestate.com.au then select against 'sold' prices for your suburb. Pick what you think is a reasonable range. Hypothetical example being $600-$700k. Then do a sort in the drop down menu to view the results based on price, either low to high or vice verca. Whilst many properties do not display the sold price, some do and therefore you can pretty much verify the prices of properties that do not display the sold price as the sort works for all properties shown regardless of whether the price is displayed. I have validated for my suburb against official sales data for all properties and it works 100%.

Be mindful of the sold dates which are shown so you can get an idea of the more recently sold properties and the location and characteristics similar to your own.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You selling in Melbourne? Which suburb?

I've bought and sold a few places in different suburbs around town through various agents with mixed performances.. I can let you know who is good to speak with and who to watch out for..

Ha! I don't envy you being in this position.
It can be a difficult and stressful time.
But it can also be a very rewarding time.
Sometimes you get lucky - except if you're Eddy O. Then you don't need luck.

Some Questions to ask the Agents - some info summarised from other posters:
1) What is my property worth and WHY?
When they answer this with $XXX to $YYY, ask them to justify this figure, by showing you "equivalent recently sold properties", in your suburb/locale.

You can also do your own appraisal, using the RealEstate.com.au and Domain.com.au sites as described by CockaDoodleDo.
This may take a day of your time, but is generally worthwhile.

You can also engage a Valuer, to do an appraisal - as other posters have said.
But this may cost you $300 or so and property valuation is not an EXACT science anyway.
So you may need TWO valuers to give YOU a "more accurate" range of prices.
IMO, it is partly objective but also partly subjective. Say 70/30??

If you have the time and can assess the differences between YOUR property and the SOLD properties, you may do as good a job as the Valuers (in coming up with a market value).

You can't beat recent sales for giving you a market value. It's what the valuers use.

2) Also ask the Agents for THEIR sales record over the past 6 months (say):
If needs be, you can verify their sales record, using the Real Estate sites mentioned in (1), above.

Like Chicken Hunter and Gordsy say - "don't take any of their best mates antics".
And don't be conned by an Agent who gives an overly optimistic valuation, to try and get you to sign with them.
Again, this is why YOU should do your own market appraisal, before they turn up. But keep it to yourself.

Like CH and G imply - the Agent is NOT your mate.
Sure, you need someone you are comfortable with, but predominantly you want an Agent who will be EFFECTIVE. You don't want a "mate".
Assess the Agent on their record.

3) Ask them for their Fees:
Agents may quote different %s, as commission for the sale.

Ask if there are any other charges - like advertising. Some charge you. Some don't.

Ask if there will be any charges if you decide to take it off the market (without selling), after the sale period has finished.

4) Advertising - Newspapers or On Line.
Sometimes an Agent may want to use a series of glossy ads, in the newspaper - at high cost.
It sounds cynical of me, but this can simply be a form of advertising for their Agency - THAT YOU PAY FOR.

These days most prospective buyers just use on-line Real Estate sites.
In the main, I think newspapers are "old school" - not required.

OTHER COMMENTS:
Parra described the "incentive" approach.
I agree with Parra, in that something like that should ideally get you the BEST sale price.
As the Agent then has an incentive to try and push the price up by $5K or $10K.

I did use this once, but the "base price" I set was too high and we only just reached that level - even though the Agent had initially agreed to the base price and the incentive %.

This is the difficulty with this approach - setting a realistic Base Price.
Sounds cliched, but it (the Base Price) needs to create opportunity for a WIN WIN situation.

Set a Realistic Sale price:
Like Johnsy says - "houses priced well ...... will sell".
You do not want to get too GREEDY and set TOO high a sale price.
That may scare off the potential buyters and you then get into a downward spiral of lowering your price.
And the sharks will circle.

Sell by Auction or Private Treaty:
Depends on a number of factors that include your property (is it unsusal?) and the suburb.
Look around your suburb.
Discuss with Agent.

Do you NEED to sell the property, or do you simply think it is "time to sell":
Only you need to know this.
Don't tell the Agent.
Or this forum LOL.
This will effect how you set the Sale Price and how you respond to offers.
If you have a mortgage that you want to be rid of, sometimes a quick sale (for a reasonable price), is better than "hanging out for" an extra $20K or $50K.
That you may not get.
Remember the dog with the bone.

Depends, among other things, on the number of buyers out there.

>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Best of Luck.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Happy old Dragon is Neil Jennings? $300 per 'valuation' appears to be cheap in my opinion.
If you want a qualified valuation from a registered property valuer, be prepared for them to suggest a lower than current market value estimation. Be prepared to pay for professional fees as you would with any other qualified profession.
Why?....well if a registered property valuer is asked for his professional opinion on a particular property and asked to put his estimation in writing and be prepared to back this up in court, I can assure you it will be below any local real estate agents market assessment for very good reasons.
This I know....:)

Guys...thanks so much for your advice. I have had 3 valuations and it played out exactly as you all said. One was way over market value, one in the middle and one was low.

I have a good gut feeling about 2 of them and have not selected one yet.

Muzby - will PM you.

Cocka - good advice re Realestate.com

Western_Eel

Juniors
I am a real estate agent, the only way to pick the best one is to pick the one with the most sold signs or the one that has the most homes for sale in your area because he will have the most buyers on his books

Western_Eel

Juniors
Happy dragon you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area you may be an agent? Your point with the Internet I agree on most of the buyers that call in are calling from domain and realestate but I wouldn't scrap the paper to save money, most of our buyers that come to open homes come from the open home page on the back of the press
Stick to the basics web and press don't worry about those stupid magazines only real estate agents read them not buyers

_Johnsy

Referee
Went to an couple open houses on the weekend. Only one out of the 3 were priced well IMO. There were at least 15 couples there at opening time. It was the first open home, made an offer, as did 2 other couples. Missed out by $5000. Vendors received $5000 below asking price. If it's priced well it sells. Be very wary of agents & promises they have no control over. People buying have done their homework & know what the market value is. Always have always will as they are the ones who determine what the market is.

The brutal honesty is, all the agent wants is to sell it as soon as they can, they will do all they can to squeeze every cent out of the buyer because it impacts on their pocket.

On a side note the other 2 open homes were like a ghost town. One In particular I am interested in, they are asking about 80k too much. Prices are continuing to fall & are approximately 10-13% lower than when they vendors purchased this house. 2 bigger houses on bigger blocks with views sold for 30k than these clowns want (on the same street) at the same time the vendor purchased the house I am looking at. They had the hide to say urgent sale required then ask way overs, this can o ly lead to disappointment for the vendors IMO.

Last edited:

Western_Eel

Juniors
What area are you in johnsy? because we have had only growth in western Sydney no prices are falling here