What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Estate Agents

Lambretta

First Grade
Yeah I'm gonna get quotes and appraisals from all three, in terms of the appraisals, do the other agencies just contact the agency who is currently managing my property to organise access?

Yeah I've got a really good broker that I've used numerous times in Parkes so I'm gonna ask her for local advice on which agency is best.

In terms of the independent boutique agencies, is the general gist that they take on less properties, hence they charge more but get you more?

If the property is tenanted then you will need to use the managing agent to show the others round unless you can arrange to be there yourself. I would probably suggest it's a good idea for you to go there if it's feasible

Sold my house approx 2 months ago...my best advice...get to some auctions of similar houses in your area and do your research so that you know your reserve.

I then got 5 agents through to give me an appraisal...one had good results in the area but came across as a derp and would not provide an appraisal in writing until 2 weeks after he visited and I had to ask him !.

Go with an agent that you can connect with and go and see him in action at an auction...any auction will do.

Remember also that they are working for you...I hassled the crap out of them during the campaign prior to the auction day. Also make it clear that if you want to accept an offer prior to auction then make it clear or else they will push to auction.

It ended well for me but you just have to be prepared.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
a bit of a tip, when you go to realestate.com.au to find a property, look beyond the first few pages.

The properties that have been on the market longest won't be on the front page.

These are the properties where the seller is starting to get desperate and are more likely to consider negotiating the price down to meet with your expectations.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
FYI just discovered this website called Sell My Castle - http://www.sellmycastle.com.au/

Pretty awesome, I signed up and today and they've already emailed me a free market appraisal plus some questions to ask potential agents. They're gonna email me a list of all agents in the area, their fees and recent performance

All free
some free websites tend to be less accurate with their details, so don't take them as gospel.

onthehouse.com.au are quite open about their property valuations, as they call them guesstimates, but tend to undervalue properties a fair bit with their guesstimations, as they are essentially working off a price per sqm compared to other properties nearby, as they don't have much other data about the property etc

Lambretta

First Grade
Good advice from Kia Ora Storm to visit some auctions prior to committing to an agent
That is if they run auctions in Parkes. Homes in regional areas do tend to sell by a negotiated price

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rural property sales rely more on local advertising and word of mouth, less so on online advertising (as the population tends to be older and less inclined to use new media, they'll prefer to use old media (newspapers etc) and local knowledge, when compared to property sales in a major city.

that alone makes the task of finding the right agent so much more important.

gords

Juniors
If the guy you got out for an m/a was Steinwede I'd be telling you to pick him. My advice is a sliding scale comm, x commission for this price, y for a higher price etc etc.

Good advice from Kia Ora Storm to visit some auctions prior to committing to an agent
That is if they run auctions in Parkes. Homes in regional areas do tend to sell by a negotiated price

By the time I was ready to sell I was 100% sure of my approach and was not going to be hoodwinked by Real Estate Agents...you need to spend time as it is one of the biggest financial decisions of your life.

Sold my house 150k over reserve....

Latest posts