What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reality Check

newmanj

Juniors
Whilst i am extemely pleased with the results of the past 5 weeks, the reality is that our 8 wins so far, have come against the following teams

Warriors x 2
Tigers x 2
Souths
Canberra
Newcastle
Roosters

The only team amongs that list currently in the top 8, is Newcastle, in 8th Position. The top 6 have all beaten us, and the 7th team, Cronulla, we havent played.

Whilst i am hopeful that the next 3 weeks will see us play well, the reality is that we really must lift a level this week against Manly. We are more than capable of beating them.

dio

Juniors
the form that ALL of the teams we are still to play is not the best while i dont think we will win all the games all are winable.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Knights were going OK till we played them, and when you look at how much we are now winning by, I'm sure we can be competitive against anyone.

Manly will be a good indication this weekend.

Nickeel

Juniors
newmanj said:
The only team amongs that list currently in the top 8, is Newcastle, in 8th Position. The top 6 have all beaten us, and the 7th team, Cronulla, we havent played.

Whilst i am hopeful that the next 3 weeks will see us play well, the reality is that we really must life a level this week against Manly. We are more than capable of beating them.

I agree with what you're saying, and that we must continue to take it a week at a time and rise to each new challenge. However:

- We should have beat St George.
- We matched it for a half with Brisbane.
- We should have beat the Cowboys.
- We should have beat Manly.
- We came very close against the Bulldogs.
- But for a 20 min lapse we could have upset the Storm.

...and all this when we were travelling like busteds that only played 50-60 mins out of 80. Coulda, shoulda, woulda... but it does demonstrate that we have been close all year while playing well below our best.

(In addition, we haven't yet played Cronulla, another side in the eight).

I believe we've improved significantly since those times and will account for Manly this Saturday. That's all I'm thinking about right now. I'd be lying if part of me wasn't excitedly looking ahead at the moment, but the reality is we are still not in the top 8 and until we are we can't get too upbeat. Let's just hope an early season of close calls won't cruel us now.

Nick

bartman

Immortal
Good post. We really competed with Manly last time, and were unlucky not to get a result. But we need to turn up like that or better this time, if the guys want to try and make the 8.

newmanj

Juniors
I feel really excited about our form, but i am trying to temper it all a little, until we really go well against some of the top sides. I am not going to allow myself to think about the top eight, until i feel we are a genuine semi final chance.

Nickeel

Juniors
newmanj said:
I feel really excited about our form, but i am trying to temper it all a little, until we really go well against some of the top sides. I am not going to allow myself to think about the top eight, until i feel we are a genuine semi final chance.

Same way I feel. The next two weeks, in fact, are big ones for the club. A win against Manly into a win against St George would both sure up the 'wins needed to make finals' equation and also give a real impetus to the team. But, as with every week in the last month or so, this week shapes as our most important game of the season so far.

Nick

newmanj

Juniors
The really pleasing aspect for us is that Parra have had 5 weeks of MUST WIN games, and have come UP for every one. Momentum and confidence can mean the difference between winning and losing. We have both.

newmanj is spot on.......... Who have we played Souths, Warriors twice, The Bradbury's twice.

Even though our attitude has lifted we still have a fair way to go. Manly will be a tough ask this Staurday.

We don't have a half back that is dominant so most of our trys will have to be coming from Individual efforts through Forwards or backs.
If we had Smith and Tahu I'd back us but without those 2 we will have grinding wins.

Attitude from the players will need to be 100%

Glenn

First Grade
You can only play the opposition that is put against you, and in that regard Parramatta has done very well.
The pleasing thing about the past few games has been the defence, the goal line defence against Wests was something not seen for years at Parramatta.
The confidence seems to be returning so there is no reason to doubt Parramatta can more than match it with the other sides over the coming weeks :)

newmanj said:
The really pleasing aspect for us is that Parra have had 5 weeks of MUST WIN games, and have come UP for every one. Momentum and confidence can mean the difference between winning and losing. We have both.

Jase...this is the post where you summed it up for me. Prior to the Souths game we could have turned it up and just won enough to make sure we stayed ahead of them not to get the spoon but the effort and commitment have been there.

Not to say we will beat any sides ahead of us over the next 6 rounds but I feel a lot more confident than I did 2months ago.

the_eel

Juniors
Nickeel said:
Same way I feel. The next two weeks, in fact, are big ones for the club. A win against Manly into a win against St George would both sure up the 'wins needed to make finals' equation and also give a real impetus to the team. But, as with every week in the last month or so, this week shapes as our most important game of the season so far.

Nick

Agreed Nick. If we can get wins up against Manly and the dragons then i think i might start to allow myself to believe that we can actually make the Top 8....until then i'm a bit like Newmanj......impressed but still a bit sceptical.

All in all I am just sitting back an enjoying that Winning feeling, and hoping, (not expecting) to feel it again this weekend.

Warriors would be on the verge of the 8 if not for deducted points.

Canberra have been killing it over thelast two months and I think we're the only team to beat them at home recently.

But yes, you are right. We haven't beaten any of the BIG teams yet. But that's ok, cause all I care about is being in peak form at the end of Round 26. It's probably the right time now to start playing those teams, and we have Manly and St. George in the next fortnight so it's perfect timing.

The situation is the same as it has been for the last month - if we are good enough, we will make the 8. If we make the 8, other teams should watch out cause we will be one of the form teams of the comp.

yy_cheng

Coach
Goal Line Defence - Excellent

General Defence - Above Average (except for the Knights game where we were in their faces all night.) If we can get back to that "IN YOUR FACE" Defence + a Goal Line defence ala Tiges, then I would give us an excellent.

Go Forward - Average. When Fuifui comes off, we struggle with go forward. Against the tiges, it was due to breaks or intercepts that gave us field position in the opposition quarter. We only make it to the 30-40m line when
rucking it out, where as the opposition can make nearly 50 against us.

Outside Backs - Very Good

Short Kicking Game - Good.

Long Kicking Game - Poor.

Goal Kicking - Average.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Last night on NRL Scoreboard the panel compared our current defence to the Bulldogs (in a round about way). As much as I hate the dogs I consider this to be a massive wrap.

They also said that our current form and position reminds them of a club from last year that went on to win the comp. I think at this stage last year the Tigers were on a winning streak and just outside the 8 after a fairly ordinary year to that stage. By saying this I am not trying to get ahead of ourselves but it made me think of the possibilities.

Latest posts