What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebels reveal five-point survival plan

spiderdan

Bench
Sorry guys, not that simple at this point in time. I could be wrong, but I am led to believe that any income that comes into the FC means that the grant from the LC is lowered by that same amount. E.G, The new boys pull $100k from new sponsor, automatically, $100k is decreased from LC grant. Could be wrong, but I think that is how it works. We would rather wait until taking the LC. After that, the grant would become fixed each year so that whatever additional money the FC brought in, that would be a bonus that they could utilise in whatever other areas they see fit. The LC would still support the FC 1000%, but would not punish it by making money on its own.
i may be wrong but i thought the leagues club was losing money ($4mil last year i think was the figure i heard).

if
any income that comes into the FC means that the grant from the LC is lowered by that same amount.
is how it works right now then surely it would make more sense to reduce how much money the leagues club is pouring into the football club gradually until the football club can operate as a profitable or stable venture on its own (like many afl clubs) and the leagues club being left to fix itself up in the wake of pokie taxes/smoking laws and then used by the football club only when needed.

strider

Post Whore
because the FC don't do the NRL team atm, isn't the actual LC grant to the FC relatively small atm?

forward pass

Coach
Sorry guys, not that simple at this point in time. I could be wrong, but I am led to believe that any income that comes into the FC means that the grant from the LC is lowered by that same amount. E.G, The new boys pull $100k from new sponsor, automatically, $100k is decreased from LC grant. Could be wrong, but I think that is how it works. We would rather wait until taking the LC. After that, the grant would become fixed each year so that whatever additional money the FC brought in, that would be a bonus that they could utilise in whatever other areas they see fit. The LC would still support the FC 1000%, but would not punish it by making money on its own.

Point taken - but I would have thought that the less reliance on the Leagues club - the better.

Parra Future - I would like to pose a question. Now that you have 4 members on the board, what is the role of the non-board members of 3P - such as yourself, Terry Leabeater etc. Does this mean that 3P will continue to meet as a group to propose ideas for the guys to to take to the board etc.

The problem to me, is that whatever is discussed at Board meetings would be confidential, as they should be, so I am not sure how information could be relayed back to 3P without breaching that confidentiality?

Have I got this wrong or is that how things will function?

fish eel

Immortal
Point taken - but I would have thought that the less reliance on the Leagues club - the better.

Parra Future - I would like to pose a question. Now that you have 4 members on the board, what is the role of the non-board members of 3P - such as yourself, Terry Leabeater etc. Does this mean that 3P will continue to meet as a group to propose ideas for the guys to to take to the board etc.

The problem to me, is that whatever is discussed at Board meetings would be confidential, as they should be, so I am not sure how information could be relayed back to 3P without breaching that confidentiality?

Have I got this wrong or is that how things will function?

What is discussed at board meetings does not necessarily have to be confidential.

Gronk

Staff member
What is discussed at board meetings does not necessarily have to be confidential.

It's only confidential if they lower the cone of silence.

csilence1.jpg

fish eel

Immortal
So you have no problem with a board member calling up a journo and telling them what was discussed at the meeting??

That would depend on the context of the call.

Not everything that is discussed at a board level should or needs to be confidential.

Obviously, there are some matters, whether they be commercial discussions or otherwise that need to be kept in house - but if a board was keeping everything they discussed a secret, you have to ask what they are hiding from?

TheRam

Coach
Parra Future,

Col, I know that you are still in the process of fighting to get a ticket elected on the Leagues Club board, but it does not make sense to me why you would be holding back possible sponsorship funds to the Football Club if they are there to be taken and used right now.

Surely the LC & FC should be working together no matter who is on either board at any given time? A loss of any amount of money is still ultimately damaging to the organization as a whole.

And if we were to follow that logic then does that mean that if the new 3P ticket lose the up coming election, the FC board will then decide to abandon any efforts to bring in new money from outside so as the leagues club will always maintain its current level of contribution?

Cheers

forward pass

Coach
Obviously, there are some matters, whether they be commercial discussions or otherwise that need to be kept in house - but if a board was keeping everything they discussed a secret, you have to ask what they are hiding from?

I would just assume they are confidential, but agreement would be reached on anything they feel should be made public and in what form.

bazza

Immortal
Question for you Parra supporters.

Are there any concerns at all about a lack of real business acumen and fresh ideas on the board.

I think there were concerns about that and so the new guys were voted in

emjaycee

Coach
Parra Future,

Col, I know that you are still in the process of fighting to get a ticket elected on the Leagues Club board, but it does not make sense to me why you would be holding back possible sponsorship funds to the Football Club if they are there to be taken and used right now.

Surely the LC & FC should be working together no matter who is on either board at any given time? A loss of any amount of money is still ultimately damaging to the organization as a whole.

And if we were to follow that logic then does that mean that if the new 3P ticket lose the up coming election, the FC board will then decide to abandon any efforts to bring in new money from outside so as the leagues club will always maintain its current level of contribution?

Cheers
Ram, I wouldnt be suprised if these potential sponsors are holding out on handing over any cash until they see what happens with some of the Senior Management positions. Afterall, there might be different boards now but there are still some common LC/FC management that some people want to see changed.

bartman

Immortal
I would just assume they are confidential, but agreement would be reached on anything they feel should be made public and in what form.
My experience is the opposite, and that Boards move "in camera" for discussion of confidential items, where no minutes are taken down and only the barest reference to any actions is noted.

Most discussions aren't confidential unless noted, although the general nature of Boards tends to be secretive and exclusive and not wanting others/members/shareholders to necessarily know the information that is held by those around the table. A habit of secrecy can be easily confused with an obligation to confidentiality.

TheRam

Coach
Ram, I wouldnt be suprised if these potential sponsors are holding out on handing over any cash until they see what happens with some of the Senior Management positions. Afterall, there might be different boards now but there are still some common LC/FC management that some people want to see changed.

Thanks emjaycee, it would not surprise me if you are close to being right, but I just want some clarification on that.

emjaycee

Coach
Thanks emjaycee, it would not surprise me if you are close to being right, but I just want some clarification on that.

Mate, don't hold your breath expecting clarification from 3P in this forum (or any other). There are libel and/or slander laws to consider when making assertions on the ability of people and this would cut very close to the wind IMO.

Sorry, but I have only just read this article today.

Brett Kenny said:
We want former players back at the club too. There are a lot of corporate boxes at Parramatta Stadium and it would be great if we could get guys like Mick Cronin back and visiting those boxes."

Now that is funny stuff, considering Cronin and O'Reily already do that, I have seen them do it when ever I was lucky enough to be in a corporate box.

junior009

Juniors
Sorry, but I have only just read this article today.

Now that is funny stuff, considering Cronin and O'Reily already do that, I have seen them do it when ever I was lucky enough to be in a corporate box.
Maybe they dont do it enough? I've been up there a couple of times and the only former player I've seen was Sterlo and he was there working for nine.
I'm sure they do it but maybe others need to be involved too.

Maybe they dont do it enough? I've been up there a couple of times and the only former player I've seen was Sterlo and he was there working for nine.

Maybe we don't do it enough, but the intimation of the line was that we as a club don't do it at all which is as far as I have seen plainly wrong.

The Colonel

Immortal

I've probably been luckier than most to have spent a good amount of time upstairs and in the four plus years I did it was a regular occurence to see Cronin, Grothe, Wynn, Ella, O'Reilly along with Hilditch and a few other old faces coming through to watch games.