What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recap of Manly loss

Big Sam

First Grade
Clearly the worst we've played in two months given the result. I thought we really missed GI especially in attack where it seems we simply ran out of ideas. Glad he's back next week.

Poor completion rate was finally punished by a classier side too. I thought some of Maguire's subs were a touch curious. I expected Issac to play the rest of the game once he came on but didn't and I thought Taylor should've returned earlier to help out the right-side defense.

On the other hand, it's not a bad loss to have. Takes some of the pressure the media's put on us and it's a reality check for the players. With GI back we should win the next 2 which will guarantee Top 4.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Argh...

Spoiler alert man..

It's halftime in the game for those of us watching down here in Victoria..

Big Sam

First Grade
Sorry Muzby. But plenty of threads in the past regarding our result in the 7.30 NSW game have been started whilst the game is on 9.30 delay into Queensland and there hasn't been an issue.

And it's not like I posted in the main NRL forum. By the time you scroll down to the Souths forum, the result is there on the right hand side in the results tab.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Clearly the worst we've played in two months given the result. I thought we really missed GI especially in attack where it seems we simply ran out of ideas. Glad he's back next week.

Poor completion rate was finally punished by a classier side too. I thought some of Maguire's subs were a touch curious. I expected Issac to play the rest of the game once he came on but didn't and I thought Taylor should've returned earlier to help out the right-side defense.

On the other hand, it's not a bad loss to have. Takes some of the pressure the media's put on us and it's a reality check for the players. With GI back we should win the next 2 which will guarantee Top 4.

I think you will find that souths 6 wins in a row were against teams well outside the top 8 !
The last loss was against the broncos, who were in the top 8.
Tonight they got flogged by manly, also in the top 8. The score would have been 30+ if Lyon didn't miss 4 conversions.
Coincidence ?

BlueEyes

Juniors
Well really, Manly are always up against the opposition and the wankers in pink and guess what you were found out.!!

DC_fan

Coach
We weren't going to go undefeated for the remainder of the season. For that to have happened, winning the grand final would have ment 13 straight wins. That was never going to happen.

Last nights loss is not the end of the world. What is important is how the team copes with the loss. One loss is not going to destroy our season, but two straight losses could create problems. The team needs to get back on the winning track next Saturday against the Sharks.

For me that game is highly important.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Simply, Manly too good for us, and thoroughly deserved the win.
They showed us how to play, and they are not the defending Premiers for nothing.

Now we can go back to people talking about them, Dogs, Melbourne etc for the title.

We get GI and Roy back into the team, and go from there.

KKW

Juniors
First time I've seen souffs play this year. Pack looked pretty average and some of the outside backs had no idea. Might have been an off night but can't see them challenging for the title this year.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
You guys have a good team (don't get me wrong!), but it takes a great team to beat the other top 8 sides to get the title.
I'm thinking it will be a manly vs bulldogs grand final.

Galeforce

Bench
If we had to lose a game between now and the finals , then no better to lose to defending premiers . They held us in the forwards and made more ground then us and their backs clearly outpointed ours to win.
I do not think we could have played much worse and we should have some great learning material to take us into the finals.
All in all , hurts to lose , however this could be the game we had to lose to prepare us for the finals.
Forget minor premiers now , we need ONE win from next three to ensure top 4. We should now be flying under the radar until our first finals win.
Playing Bulldogs in first finals ensures we play at ANZ stadium.The ideal first finals game.

gUt

Coach
I didn't think you guys looked all that bad, just a little nervous and jittery.

rabbitohs95

Bench
First time I've seen souffs play this year. Pack looked pretty average and some of the outside backs had no idea. Might have been an off night but can't see them challenging for the title this year.

Definitely an off night. I think it's right to say in a sense we can be top 4 material, but we just struggle to play against other top 4 teams. Other teams in the finals are beatable, and the rest of the teams we demolish.

We just need to step up to the plate along with Manly and Melbourne (Personally i think we have the goods to beat the Bulldogs) It's really just those two who have enough finals experience throughout the squad that really step up against the top teams.

With a lesson learnt, i hope the boys are fired up against Cronulla next Saturday, especially with GI back. Cannot wait.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I was at the game last night, we were flat, showed less desperation and we did not handle the conditions well. Full credit to Manly they did what they had to come up with the cash.its how the boys respond next week, that I'm interested in. I would like to see Asotassi on the bench to give us some go forward. We really missed GI. I'm also surprised Taylor did not play the full 80 mins as well.

grandorient

Bench
Don't worry too much guys, you have both the coach and the cattle to get to the GF.

Last night was just a hiccup and a loss at this point isn't too bad anyway.

Souths, Saints GF.

GO

Bumble

First Grade
Really, really flat from us. Everingham and Sutton had stinkers and Manly were excellent.

Can't do much when a good team is at their best.