What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent Premiers

In-goal

Bench
2003: Penrith
2002: Easts
2001: Newcastle
2000: Brisbane
1999: Melbourne

From this picture we can all see that we have one of the best sporting competitions in the world, not only do we see a whole range of premiers over the years but unpredictable results such as Penrith and Melbourne.

AFL:
2003: Brisbane
2002: Brisbane
2001: Brisbane
2000: Essendon
1999: North Melbourne

If you look back futher in time you will see the same constant with sides winning multiple premierships, surley when we make competitive assesments of Rugby League we see that we have one of the most open season every year of any sport.

IMO we could very well see another new champion this coming season in either Canberra or the Warriors, even Canterbury will be hard to toss.

To put it simply i'm getting very excited about 2004 already.

I wouldnt be suprised if the cowboys or tigers or manly win the comp. I dont even know if it will be worth entering tipping comps this year with the unpredictability.

In-goal said:
2003: Penrith
2002: Easts
2001: Newcastle
2000: Brisbane
1999: Melbourne

From this picture we can all see that we have one of the best sporting competitions in the world, not only do we see a whole range of premiers over the years but unpredictable results such as Penrith and Melbourne.

AFL:
2003: Brisbane
2002: Brisbane
2001: Brisbane
2000: Essendon
1999: North Melbourne

If you look back futher in time you will see the same constant with sides winning multiple premierships, surley when we make competitive assesments of Rugby League we see that we have one of the most open season every year of any sport.

IMO we could very well see another new champion this coming season in either Canberra or the Warriors, even Canterbury will be hard to toss.

To put it simply i'm getting very excited about 2004 already.

While this might be true of recent seasons. The AFL have had every club with the exception of Fremantle make at least 1 prelim final in the last 12 years. We might get different premiers but we get a group of regulars to the finals. Brisbane are dominating the AFL at the moment becasue quite simply they might very be the best ever AFL side of all time.

Both comps are pretty damn good at the present.

The Vern

Juniors
The current Brisbane Lions team is one of the best of all time. They have been able to win 3 in a row beacuse of a great groups of core players a fantastic coach and of cause some help with the salary cap. It very uncommon for a team in AFL to dominate for that long and add that to the fact that every year there have been several teams that were more than capable of winning the flag. If you looked at the AFL ladder over the past 5 years you will see that there has been a much larger fluctuation between teams (teams like Melbourne who go from bottom 4 one year to top 4 the next year and then back to the bottom 4 the next) than in the NRL with things like priority draft picks, the trade period which helps teams get adequate replacement for losing players and the list system which all help the talent to be spread around the teams. This means every year there are atleast 6 teams that have a good chance of a flag which is atleast as many if not more as in the NRL and the top eight is much more open than the NRLs.

*Paul*

Juniors
5 on the trot - there's only been one streak of 6 non-repeating premiers - 1939-44.

Raider_69

Post Whore
at the moment in AFL they are witnessing a dort of Dragons type situation, they are just about the best side to ever grace that game, like St george in their 11 premiership run

In-goal

Bench
p.s. this was not aimed at degrading the AFL, it was simply stating that we have had many different premiers in comparison to other competitions.

English P.L. it's been the same 2 over the last 5 years.

OVP

Coach
It may be great to see 5 different premiers to you, but i think its overly-manufactured as a whole. Every premier is FORCED to shed players so that another can take its place.

The last system that did that died in the arse ... im sure you know what that system was called. But this sytem was used by countries, so i guess the overall problem was magnified to an alarming extent.

Personally, i would much rather see some team attempt to beat St George's winning streak of 11 in a row. But its simply impossible now. In the old days you relied on skill in both recruiting and player talent. Now its just a lottery ... how boring :(

At least the AFL has a much fairer system ... i think its great that one team can win three in a row. It makes the other teams rise up without resorting to "gimmes" like the NRL.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
OVP said:
It may be great to see 5 different premiers to you, but i think its overly-manufactured as a whole. Every premier is FORCED to shed players so that another can take its place.

The last system that did that died in the arse ... im sure you know what that system was called. But this sytem was used by countries, so i guess the overall problem was magnified to an alarming extent.

Personally, i would much rather see some team attempt to beat St George's winning streak of 11 in a row. But its simply impossible now. In the old days you relied on skill in both recruiting and player talent. Now its just a lottery ... how boring :(

At least the AFL has a much fairer system ... i think its great that one team can win three in a row. It makes the other teams rise up without resorting to "gimmes" like the NRL.

If Nick Politis gets his way, he may get a tilt at it. Open Cheque books are the norm out bondi way.

No one has noticed as usual, but the roosters have picked up another, yes another 5 Junior Schoolboys. Which they will no doubt claim are there own.

With the amount of money Nick throws at footballers, its a disgrace the roosters have won 1 comp in 27 years.

The dragons, never buy big name players.. Never since I have been following them, have they gone out to get one. and Get him.

The biggest they went after was Kimmorley. Luckily we missed out.

Roosters manly.. Different story.

OVP

Coach
You people seem to think just throwing a bunch of young kids onto a field in a certain clubs jersey is actually junior development.

The reason why these young kids come to the Roosters is because of Gould's program. They are actually taught to utilise their skills to an extent where they will one day be selected for first grade at any given club. Just because your club throws a jersey on a player at a young age, it doesnt mean you've developed them. You need to actually teach these kids how to play in a first grade environment. And quite frankly, ONLY the Roosters and the Broncos do that well.

Ask yourself ... why do these young kids want to leave your club ? Then you'll find the answer.

Anonymous

Juniors
In-goal said:
p.s. this was not aimed at degrading the AFL, it was simply stating that we have had many different premiers in comparison to other competitions.

English P.L. it's been the same 2 over the last 5 years.

IMO that is 'worse' than the AFL situation.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
OVP said:
You people seem to think just throwing a bunch of young kids onto a field in a certain clubs jersey is actually junior development.

The reason why these young kids come to the Roosters is because of Gould's program. They are actually taught to utilise their skills to an extent where they will one day be selected for first grade at any given club. Just because your club throws a jersey on a player at a young age, it doesnt mean you've developed them. You need to actually teach these kids how to play in a first grade environment. And quite frankly, ONLY the Roosters and the Broncos do that well.

Ask yourself ... why do these young kids want to leave your club ? Then you'll find the answer.

That is one of the most Biased, Red white and Blue Posts i have ever read.
You claim they come for the " Gould program ". Is this your pesonal opinion ?...

Mate get a grip on reality, something Roosters fans seem to know nothing about. They go for MONEY.. The Root of all Roosters.

Good luck to the Kids that go for money, im in favour of kids moving for money, if that's what they chose.

But for the Roosters to not try and develope the junior area, but instead take the cream of the Crop from other regions. Players that are , have been developed from other clubs since the age of 12/13.. Is totally arrogant IMHO, and many others share that view.

Your club signed 5 Junior Schoolboys for 2004. Yet these kids are 17 years of age. Your club will claim them as there own.

Just like all kids , you can see the talent from a young age. You then need to give them time, and help them. And you think the Roosters and the Broncos are the only ones that do this well.

Your a Joke Mate.

The panthers Smacked, Wiped the floor with the roosters, with their OWN JUNIORS...

OVP

Coach
Developed by Saints ???

LMAO YOUR the joke ... just because you throw a jersey on a kid's back it doesnt mean you developed them, FOOL !!

Evilgrowler

First Grade
OVP said:
Developed by Saints ???

LMAO YOUR the joke ... just because you throw a jersey on a kid's back it doesnt mean you developed them, FOOL !!

That's funny. :lol: :lol: The Roosters do the same thing and you're quite happy to claim them as player you've developed. Unbelievable. Is it only the Roosters supporters on this forum that are so ignorant and arrogant?

More FOOL you.

OVP

Coach
So tell me captain 14 year old smartarse ... what is the definition of "development". ?

I'm all ears kiddie ... would love to hear your opinion ... surely its NOT because you have a kid, whack a jersey on him, and call him a junior is it ? Well Souths do that superbly, perhaps you should pat them on the back because a "junior" = "developed" huh ?

TRANSLATION

Juniors
OVP said:
Developed by Saints ???

You went to school in Bondi I Bet.

Clubs these days OVP, give out scholarships to young talent. They help them along their way, and if good enough they put them through their junior developement programs. Some come thru, some don't.

You have to throw a Jersey on his back, yeh u do.

And if it's your club that had this kid under wraps from a young age. Congrats to them. Well Done.

The Roosters on the other hand, go and take these Developing kids, and suck them into the Evil world of under the table......... You know what.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
OVP said:

Lets take a Closer look at this ridiculous post, that has had me in stiches the whole night, and im unable to sleep. But at least im being amused.

[b]You people seem to think just throwing a bunch of young kids onto a field in a certain clubs jersey is actually junior development[/b].

Where the hell does anyone imply that ?

The reason why these young kids come to the Roosters is because of Gould's program. They are actually taught to utilise their skills to an extent where they will one day be selected for first grade at any given club

Gould's Program ??...They are actually taught as 17 year olds how to improve. ? Shit, Id better call Brownie
Quickly People, Take this down, and pass it onto your clubs. We are all behind the 8 ball, compared to the Roosters. LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol

You need to actually teach these kids how to play in a first grade environment.

Really ??damn we are so far behind the 8 ball
Again Folks. Write all this down, and pass it onto your clubs.
A) We must teach kids how to develope their Game.
b) We must prepare them for first grade.

Do all the above, and send a thank you letter to Mr Gould.

What a Dunce you are !!![/b]

Stgillaman said:
OVP said:

If Nick Politis gets his way, he may get a tilt at it. Open Cheque books are the norm out bondi way.

No one has noticed as usual, but the roosters have picked up another, yes another 5 Junior Schoolboys. Which they will no doubt claim are there own.

With the amount of money Nick throws at footballers, its a disgrace the roosters have won 1 comp in 27 years.

The dragons, never buy big name players.. Never since I have been following them, have they gone out to get one. and Get him.

The biggest they went after was Kimmorley. Luckily we missed out.

Roosters manly.. Different story.

The Dragons try and buy big name players but in the end the players realise what a crock of a club they are and go elsewhere.