What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reclaiming 'Rugby'

Te Kaha

First Grade
Kingbunny said:
What dribble.

So, what is the offical name of the RFU, NZRFU, ARU, SRU, WRU so on and so on ? What does the U stand for again ? I don't remember.

Maybe you should figure that one out.

Are you really that dumb? the association is a UNION ... RUGBY FOOTBALL Union, NEW ZEALAND RUGBY FOOTBALL Union SOUTH AFRICA RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION.... Seeing the trend...

bobbis

Juniors
Kingbunny said:
What dribble.

So, what is the offical name of the RFU, NZRFU, ARU, SRU, WRU so on and so on ? What does the U stand for again ? I don't remember.

Maybe you should figure that one out.

It stands for union gee your smart, union is merely a word for an organisation.

Now you answer this one for me what does the U in FFR, FIR, IRB, RWC, FER, FRC, FBR, etc, etc stand for? I don't remember.

Figure that 1 out.

taipan

Referee
Te Kaha said:
Are you really that dumb? the association is a UNION ... RUGBY FOOTBALL Union, NEW ZEALAND RUGBY FOOTBALL Union SOUTH AFRICA RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION.... Seeing the trend...

I get it as in National Rugby League,Australian Rugby League,Country Rugby League.
Rugby being the operative word,makes sense to me.

Rugby union is Rugby

Rugby League is FOOTBALL

Bloody soccer is bloody soccer a bloody girlies game

AFL is AFL

And Joey Johns is the greatest footballer ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Te Kaha

First Grade
taipan said:
I get it as in National Rugby League,Australian Rugby League,Country Rugby League.
Rugby being the operative word,makes sense to me.

Exactly my point... Both games are Rugby... both codes have the right to call them selves Rugby

Paley

Juniors
bobbis said:
No im not, in fact if you read a bit more of my post thatd be quite obvious, im saying that if you alter the rules without consulting the official bodies which regulate them you are creating a new sport. By not playing under the official rules of the sport you've in affect created a new sport. Are you arguing a new sport wasn't created?

The rest of your post is prity pathetic. I can't see at all how a sport calling itself by the name it has for well over a century and predating RL is dishonourable.

Theres rugby and theres rugby league, as ive proven beyond any doubt the game the IRB represents is officially rugby, to argue otherwise is stupid and ignorant.

You've failed to actually come up with any proof the official name of the sport is rugby union and not rugby, in fact you've dodged every single point to that effect.

Good luck with your crusade though to get rugby to change its name so that its honourable in your eyes.

The fact that the IRB and the national unions actively discriminated against Rugby League for a century on the basis that it wasn't another sport but just professional rugby is rather dishonourable don't you think? To then claim that professional rugby only came into existence in 1995 is rather dishonourable don't you think?

If the IRB wished to claim "rugby" for itself it should have though twice about the way it acted towards RL and its players for a century.

The above proves beyond any doubt that rugby league is rugby just as rugby union is rugby and any governing body claiming sole right over the word is merely being stupid and ignorant - although in the case of the IRB and the national unions their history over the use of the word also adds dishonourable behaviour into the mix.

Woods99

Juniors
Paley said:
The fact that the IRB and the national unions actively discriminated against Rugby League for a century on the basis that it wasn't another sport but just professional rugby is rather dishonourable don't you think? To then claim that professional rugby only came into existence in 1995 is rather dishonourable don't you think?

"Dishonourable"? Who cares? Does "honour" have any role in today's sporting world? Is there a "Court of Honour"?

Sorry, Paley, not even close.....definitely no cigar.

If the IRB wished to claim "rugby" for itself it should have though twice about the way it acted towards RL and its players for a century.

Given that IRB means International Rugby Board, and the name seems to have been widely accepted in common usage, it looks as though the wish has become the fact.

The above proves beyond any doubt that rugby league is rugby just as rugby union is rugby and any governing body claiming sole right over the word is merely being stupid and ignorant - although in the case of the IRB and the national unions their history over the use of the word also adds dishonourable behaviour into the mix.

Paley, have you ever heard of a logical syllogism? You know, "all fish can swim, I can swim, therefore I am a fish"?

You have proved nothing, other than that you have an unhealthy and unproductive obsession with the name of rugby. Have a look at the legal doctrine res ipsa loquitur.

Why don't you put your efforts into something productive for your code, like the establishment of an impartial, well-funded, and authoritative international body. Ooops. Wait a minute. What on earth would you call it?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
screeny said:
move this to TFC!
Can't say I agree screeny. I just read the last couple of pages and it looks like a fairly robust debate.
For a change, a few of the usual suspects are not neccessarily trolling. Instead it looks like a healthy mix of differing opinions.

griff

Bench
The rugby union authorities for 90 years claimed that anyone playing rugby league (even if they weren't getting paid) was a professional rugby player, and as such was breaching rugby's code of "amateurism". Now they have done a back flip on professionalism and suddenly people playing rugby league aren't playing rugby at all.

It's just a matter of consistency. They are both separate sports, but are both rugby.

terracesider

Juniors
Paley said:
To then claim that professional rugby only came into existence in 1995 is rather dishonourable don't you think?

Dishonourable, yes, but also criminal. For years the only difference was that RL players paid tax. Tax aviodance is a criminal offence and Union is responsible for one of the biggest systematic criminal frauds of the 20th century, to which the Revenue turned a blind eye.

goeagles

Juniors
Why are you only "reclaiming" rugby and not reclaiming football too? Seems like you are all just a bit jealous of the more popular code worldwide.

Paley

Juniors
goeagles said:
Why are you only "reclaiming" rugby and not reclaiming football too? Seems like you are all just a bit jealous of the more popular code worldwide.

Because soccer has never, to the best of my knowledge, used the word "football" in an attempt to harm the sport of rugby league - in that respect soccer is a more honourable sport than union.

taipan

Referee
griff said:
The rugby union authorities for 90 years claimed that anyone playing rugby league (even if they weren't getting paid) was a professional rugby player, and as such was breaching rugby's code of "amateurism". Now they have done a back flip on professionalism and suddenly people playing rugby league aren't playing rugby at all.

It's just a matter of consistency. They are both separate sports, but are both rugby.

I'll second you on those points.

Woods99

Juniors
goeagles said:
That's it, I'm off to get everyone in rugby to reclaim the word football!

While you're away, see if you can find some expert help to assist Paley to reclaim his commonsense. That is, if he ever had any in the first place.:?

Latest posts