What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend-a-Band Thread

elyod138

Bench
No one will have any recommendations for me as i doubt anyone would have herd my bands :lol:

1. Danzig
2. Misfits
3. Samhain

elyod138

Bench
Although Glenn Danzig who is the singer and writer for all those bands voice is similar to a hybric of Jim Morrison and Elvis Presley, but the doors are already one of my favourite bands :p

Kakihara

Juniors
warren said:
I looove Deathcab for cutie, any recomendations for other bands sthat are similar?

Try every other indie/emo rock band out there.

Not my style of music but bands that i've heard that sound pretty similar are

The Promise Ring
The Dismemberment Plan
Copeland
Cursive
Armor for Sleep
Minus the Bear
The Appleseed Cast
The One AM Radio
The Get Up Kids
Broken Spindles
Hellogoodbye
Xiu Xiu
The Arcade Fire

Theres shitloads more but these are the ones i can only remember at the moment.

Kakihara

Juniors
elyod138 said:
No one will have any recommendations for me as i doubt anyone would have herd my bands :lol:

1. Danzig
2. Misfits
3. Samhain

There have been heaps of bands that have been influenced by these bands, namely bands in the psychobilly and horror punk genre.

Check out Tiger army, nekromantix, the lillingtons, the cramps, balzac, the damned, horrorpops even Afi have songs thats sound similar to them.

elyod138

Bench
Yeh ive been meaning to check out Tiger Army, The Cramps and The Damned for a couple of years now but havent gotten around to it.

L.P.P

Juniors
Mighty Dragon said:
The idea is, post your 3 or 4 favourite bands or singers and then hopefully someone will reply with a recommendation of a band you should listen to and might suit your tastes.

I'll start it off:

1. The Darkness
2. Green Day
3. Weezer

any recommendations?...

Darkness- Queen

Weezer - Pavement, Rooney, the Thrills

L.P.P

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Oh, and as for me - i'm always looking for modern folky rock music.

In the Vain of guys like Elliot Smith and Damien Rice...

All though classified as Alt country try guys like Josh Rouse and Ryan Adams love is hell. Also the frames, jeff buckley, rufus wainright and even pete yorn but his more rock than folky

Alex28

Coach
L.P.P said:
Balmain_Boy said:
Oh, and as for me - i'm always looking for modern folky rock music.

In the Vain of guys like Elliot Smith and Damien Rice...

All though classified as Alt country try guys like Josh Rouse and Ryan Adams love is hell. Also the frames, jeff buckley, rufus wainright and even pete yorn but his more rock than folky

'Gold' and 'Love Is Hell' are worth listening to - avoid Rock'n'Roll.

I'd also listen to Turin Brakes (The Optimist LP & Ether Song) and Doves (Lost Souls & The Last Broadcast - both outstanding albums) - they don't have the rawness of Smith or Rice, but have the emotion.

At a stretch even take a listen to 'The Bends' by Radiohead, 'Seachange' by Beck, 'You Are Free' by Cat Power and 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' by Wilco.

fosie

Juniors
parra_panther said:
Weezer

Betchadupa
Ash

Legend!!!!.....i just need to know, is it worth it buying the betchadupa cd?
i haven't heard any of their songs but apparently they are good.....help anyone?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I 'd like to recommend Ratt.

Ratt were massive in the US through the early to mid 80's...they never got a big following in OZ as they never toured.....nor did they ever recieve the good publicity down here like Poison or Motely Crue.

Ratt's first album Out of the Cellar wen't triple Platinum in the US alone

Songs to listen to off this album in my order would be.

1. Back for more
2. Scene of the crime
3. Your in trouble
4. Round & Round
5. Wanted Man

Ratts second Album Invasion of your privacy was a great follower up to the Cellar and wen't double platinum, it is regarded by many as Ratts best ever album even though it was as popular.

Songs to listen to of this album in my favourite order are-

1. Lay it down
2. You're in love
3. dangerous
4 Closer to my heart
5. Between the eyes
6. Got me on the line
7. What you give is what you get

Dancing Undercover was released in 85 and it contained the theme song to Eddie Murphys the Golden Child....Body talk.

This album just continued the bands platinum streak and one of the US biggest arena rock groups.

Other songs of this album include-

2. it doesn't matter
3. One good lover
4. enough is enough
5. slip of the lip
6. Dance
7. looking for love

Reach for the sky was released in 88 and it contained two smash hits in " I want a women" which is still a very popular song on MTV and " Way cool Jr"

It too wen't Platinum.

Ratts last album Detonater ( 1991) didn't reach the heights of the previous albums as it was released at the time of when Grunge had arrived yet still was a big success regardless.

It contained " One step away" which is also on the soundtrack to Point break.

Favourite songs of this album include

1. Shame
2. Loving you is a dirty job
3. Given yourself away

Ratt's early stuff is just amazing, hard rock but very distinctive and catchy, wonderful guitar work, drums, back up vocals....and offcourse incredible vocals from lead singer Stephen Pearcy.

I highly recommend for people to listen to particulary the first 2 albums, if you like the first 2 albums and appreciate the distinctive vocals and sound you'll love Ratt heaps.

Latest posts