What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment for 2012

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I see Tupou as a short term winger long term centre, although having said that I can definitely see Fish as a centre if his defense is good. He reminds me more of a 2002/2003 Toopi than an Inglis, deceptively strong with a lot of speed.

Omar played all of last season on the wing. He only moved to fullback when Fish became too old for NYC.

1. Locke
2. Inu/Omar
3. Fish/Tupou
4. Ropati
5. Manu

The options are there, it's just whether or not any of them will work. At this stage centre is wide open. Pre season will be massive for players wanting to get into that backline.

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
I've read talk of people wanting Fish as a centre but to me he's far too small for a top grade centre. Maybe after he's bulked up a bit but unless he's got a ton of strength for his fairly thin frame I think he'll get found out there.
He's got speed and footwork but he's a got a long way to go before being a 3 or 4.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I've read talk of people wanting Fish as a centre but to me he's far too small for a top grade centre. Maybe after he's bulked up a bit but unless he's got a ton of strength for his fairly thin frame I think he'll get found out there.
He's got speed and footwork but he's a got a long way to go before being a 3 or 4.

Similar things have been said about most slight players (Locke, Coote, Johnson, Merritt etc) but most end up bulking up.

Not all kids are 95-100kgs to start with, most of them bulk up, something that is safer to do as their body matures. Fish is at that age where his body could easily handle a bit of extra bulk.

For me size isn't the issue, it's whether or not he has the other skills (In D especially) to make the transition.

Bill "The Forgotten" Tupou should be the Centre we are looking for
He has great skills and seems to be forgotten ALOT around here, the kid is playing great and we should trial him there next year

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
Similar things have been said about most slight players (Locke, Coote, Johnson, Merritt etc) but most end up bulking up.

Not all kids are 95-100kgs to start with, most of them bulk up, something that is safer to do as their body matures. Fish is at that age where his body could easily handle a bit of extra bulk.

For me size isn't the issue, it's whether or not he has the other skills (In D especially) to make the transition.

Yea like I said, if he bulked up a bit then I think he can go well there. He obviously has the skillset.
Those players you noted, although I guess comparably small, play in positions where the demands are different. I get what you're saying but to me your standard centre requires more strength and power than your standard winger/half/fb so I guess his options are to bulk up a bit, work on becoming a winger or be patient and wait for Locke to get injured.

devoid

Juniors
Funnily enough, Tupou played a couple of games at centre for the Vulcans before he came back into first grade for this stint. I don't know - defensively we could be clutching at straws in the centres for a while. Not sure if I like any option other Krisnan and J-Ro at this stage.

hitman82

Bench
^ there ya go. And that leaves us with Tupou and Vatuvei as our wingers...
with zero depth for either position!

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
According to an article from the herald, Bluey sees Inu as a winger more than a centre. If thats the case then we might see the return of Inu on the wing and possible Tupou at centre.
Feel a bit sorry for Inu. Played bloody well on the wing, got switched to centre, got dropped to play centre for the Vulcans then possibly gonna be reinstated on the wing next year. Confused much?

devoid

Juniors
He can swap out to wing on the last - but a lot of crossfield kicks are aimed infield a bit too. I liked him at centre for Parra. Somehow, I don't think he is out of the side because of form, or his lack of ability as a centre.

_addict

Juniors
I'm with those who'd like to see Tupou developed at centre.

I also see Inu as a centre. As good as the guy is at diffusing bombs he really is too slow at wing.

I think Manu should remain on wing for next year, but I have concerns about his longevity there and I'm almost inclined to see him going to the forwards if that should proove to be.

Ropati will hopefully recoup his form on his return and slot back into centre well. Another good centre option apart from those three would be nice.

I don't expect to see Hurrell until 2013 barring disaster in the FG.

The real problem with this (apart from a certain degree of greeness in the centre) is that the wing options are then dilluted. Fish is a bit of a concern to me, he's outstanding with ball in hand, but getting it in them in the first place is the trick, he really needs to spend a lot more practise under the high ball. If he can do that I think he'll be alright at wing, and if he can't he'll get tortured by decent NRL opponents in either FB or wing.

As mentioned Manu still has at least a year of wing left in him.

Slaimankhel like Hurrell shouldn't be introduced till 2013.

Locke must remain at FB, he might get outleapt in the competition for the high ball but his hands are good, his positioning and anticipation are sharp. He mops up well and his returns and running off shoulders are reasonably impressive too.

Taniwha

Juniors
i agree Hurrell is still a year away from first grade, still got heaps of work to do on his defence.. a couple of months with the Vulcans next year wuldnt hurt, seemed to work out alright for Johnson.

devoid

Juniors
Yeah, there is no point rushing Hurrell. As long as the kid doesn't get depressed at the idea of development, he shouldn't play in the grade until 2013 at least. Defensively he rushes out of the line nigh on every time. It's good to see he is making the effort, but needs to see hundreds more plays unfold to read it better, and learn to trust what others are doing around him. Meanwhile - it's back to the couch with me.

hitman82

Bench
Fullback
Locke
Fish
Slaimankhel (desperation)
Wings
Vatuvei
Tupou
Fish (desperation)
Centres
Inu
Ropati
Penehe (if he is good enough?)
Hurrell (future?)
Halves
Johnson
Maloney
John
Godinet
Second row
Mannering
Mateo
Taylor
Lousi
Ta'ai
Brown
Rapira jr
Robinson (maybe?)
Luck
Henry (maybe?)
Lock
Luck
Mateo
Taylor
Rapira jr
Props
Matulino
Packer
Rapira
Lillyman
Gavet
Houma
Ta'ai
Poching (maybe)
Hooker
Friend
Godinet
Mara

Looks about right to me. Can anyone populate that with juniors and/or likely Vulcans?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Fullback
Locke
Fish
Slaimankhel (desperation)
Wings
Vatuvei
Tupou
Fish (desperation)
Centres
Inu
Ropati
Penehe (if he is good enough?)
Hurrell (future?)
Halves
Johnson
Maloney
John
Godinet
Second row
Mannering
Mateo
Taylor
Lousi
Ta'ai
Brown
Rapira jr
Robinson (maybe?)
Luck
Henry (maybe?)
Lock
Luck
Mateo
Taylor
Rapira jr
Props
Matulino
Packer
Rapira
Lillyman
Gavet
Houma
Ta'ai
Poching (maybe)
Hooker
Friend
Godinet
Mara

Looks about right to me. Can anyone populate that with juniors and/or likely Vulcans?

robinson is no chance?
Lousi x 2 as Sam has signed on full time as of next year.
Houma has resigned - i think.

From the Juniors.
Taukieaho will get made fulltime imo and I think Carlos might already be fulltime.
Agnatius passi might get a 2nd tier contract also.

From the vulcans
Darin Kingi should get a nrl contract somewhere.
I dont care about what people sya - GODIENT IS NOT A HOOKER IMO.

Anthony Gelling is young - good frame can play centre/2nd row.

2012 is looking good for us. We have got a lot of young players who look very promising. The future is looking bright for us. I am so happy that we have a lot of players with potential on board. With the squad that we have for next year, this is what i think every team should look like.

Vodafone Warriors

1. Kevin Locke
2. Bill Tupou
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Jerome Ropati
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. James Maloney
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Sam Rapira
9. Nathan Friend
10. Russell Packer
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Simon Mannering
13. Michael Luck

14. Pita Godinet
15. Ben Matulino
16. Lewis Brown
17. Jacob Lillyman

18th Man: Ukuma Ta'ai

Coach: Brian "Bluey" McClennan

Also, can anybody shed some light on Sio Siua Taukeiaho? I'm not kidding, he looks like a legit beast. He is one massive winger.

robinson is no chance?
Lousi x 2 as Sam has signed on full time as of next year.
Houma has resigned - i think.

From the Juniors.
Taukieaho will get made fulltime imo and I think Carlos might already be fulltime.
Agnatius passi might get a 2nd tier contract also.

From the vulcans
Darin Kingi should get a nrl contract somewhere.
I dont care about what people sya - GODIENT IS NOT A HOOKER IMO.

Anthony Gelling is young - good frame can play centre/2nd row.

You gots to be Darins cousin or wannabe player agent, they amount of love you have for this guy exceeds Ozbashs love for Maloney

Latest posts