What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment for 2012

hitman82

Bench
Well, we have re-signed Likiliki back from the Knights. So I guess that is one (maybe just reserve grade) centre for depth.

slammingsam

Juniors
All it says is the following...

Exciting winger Siuatonga Likiliki has quit the Knights despite having a year to run on his contract. The 21-year-old who has struggled to settle in at Newcastle, has decided to rejoin the Warriors where he starred in the Toyota Cup in 2009-10.

Izz

Bench
All it says is the following...

Exciting winger Siuatonga Likiliki has quit the Knights despite having a year to run on his contract. The 21-year-old who has struggled to settle in at Newcastle, has decided to rejoin the Warriors where he starred in the Toyota Cup in 2009-10.
Thanks.

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
So Hurrell and Likiliki our centre pairing for the Vulcans next year? And what about Metcalf? Atleast it gives us another centre option.

Nothing ive read has convinced me that Fish, Tupou or any other young player is going to kill it at centre next year lets just buy a good one and win the comp next year, Gus Gould says we are way under the salary cap

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's not simply a case of saying 'we have money, let's buy a great centre'.

1) There aren't many off contract, and definitely no 'great' ones. From memory, the best were the likes of Linnett (now a Cowboy), Dean Whare, and the Mad Dog (who is 36)
2) Not all of them would want to come to NZ, even for overs.

I am happy with where we are. I think Tupou could be a very good centre. I rate Ropati (some don't, their call), and I think Inu is more of a centre than a wing under the right coach. Also Hurrell is going to be the goods, just probably not in 2012.

Teams win premierships with less than world class centres. They don't win them without a dominant propping rota, or quality halves. We have both.

Iafeta

Referee
It's not simply a case of saying 'we have money, let's buy a great centre'.

1) There aren't many off contract, and definitely no 'great' ones. From memory, the best were the likes of Linnett (now a Cowboy), Dean Whare, and the Mad Dog (who is 36)
2) Not all of them would want to come to NZ, even for overs.

I am happy with where we are. I think Tupou could be a very good centre. I rate Ropati (some don't, their call), and I think Inu is more of a centre than a wing under the right coach. Also Hurrell is going to be the goods, just probably not in 2012.

Teams win premierships with less than world class centres. They don't win them without a dominant propping rota, or quality halves. We have both.

Linnett is an immense talent. Would have been quite happy to go after him. If he was willing to go Townshole I'm sure we could have accomodated him in AuckVegas.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Linnett is an immense talent. Would have been quite happy to go after him. If he was willing to go Townshole I'm sure we could have accomodated him in AuckVegas.

Agree. Had issues with injuries but got the potential to be one hell of a player. I'd like to think we at least made a play.

Although, it looks like there is more than meets the eye to the Likiliki situation? The Mole (Tony Adams, incidentally) is claiming to have spoken to the Warriors, who said they had snapped him up. Likiliki denying it.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
You gots to be Darins cousin or wannabe player agent, they amount of love you have for this guy exceeds Ozbashs love for Maloney

Mate i do push a couple of locals players who i believe can make the next step.
these are players who I have watched and like what I see.
I have actually watched the vulcans play a few times and a few fox games on tv.
These are players who would cost nothing and will lead to the warriors not having to make purchases such as berrigan and latimore etc.
i.e the future they are heading towards.

I am upfront with some of the players i see with potential:
some of my favourite players and this was prior to the season:

NYC:
Siua Taukieaho
Konrad Hurrell
Adam Henry
Agnatius Paasi

Vulcans:
Kingi
Gelling
Nafetalai (not sure if he is injured)

Others for nyc and maybe vulcans:
Bay Roskill - Patrick Vaivai
Manurewa - Ligi Sao / Jeff Friend / Setefano (sao & setefano have played NYC)
Northcote - Peter Hellesloe
Otahuhu - Sione Feao (plays prems and still under 18)

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Nothing ive read has convinced me that Fish, Tupou or any other young player is going to kill it at centre next year lets just buy a good one and win the comp next year, Gus Gould says we are way under the salary cap

disagree - just buy a good one
How about name a good one?

There aint that many good centre available as previously mentioned.

Everybody is experts these days regarding some of these youngsters.
But with a good off season and good coaching there is nothing to say that some could make the step up.

Hurrell, Slaimankhel will be genuine centre, wing options next year.

Other youngsters who I rate?
Dean Whare and Willie Mataka.
Mataka more a 2nd rower.
But then they have little FG experience so they arent really a better option

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
So Hurrell and Likiliki our centre pairing for the Vulcans next year? And what about Metcalf? Atleast it gives us another centre option.

Metcalf has been hampered by injury the whole year.
He had some issues with his ankles and they found later in the year it was really bad.

so hard to gauge where he is at based on this year form

Rich102

Staff member
Mate i do push a couple of locals players who i believe can make the next step.
these are players who I have watched and like what I see.
I have actually watched the vulcans play a few times and a few fox games on tv.
These are players who would cost nothing and will lead to the warriors not having to make purchases such as berrigan and latimore etc.
i.e the future they are heading towards.

I am upfront with some of the players i see with potential:
some of my favourite players and this was prior to the season:

NYC:
Siua Taukieaho
Konrad Hurrell
Adam Henry
Agnatius Paasi

Vulcans:
Kingi
Gelling
Nafetalai (not sure if he is injured)

Others for nyc and maybe vulcans:
Bay Roskill - Patrick Vaivai
Manurewa - Ligi Sao / Jeff Friend / Setefano (sao & setefano have played NYC)
Northcote - Peter Hellesloe
Otahuhu - Sione Feao (plays prems and still under 18)

Where do you think Adam Henry's best position is?

Latest posts