What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment in a position of strength

hellteam

First Grade
Surely Thurston would be on a similar pay to Lockyer, so you would think we have the funds, or near enough, to chase him after Lockyer retires.

I'm not sure I would want it to happen though, I'd be scared we could turn into a one man team, like the Cowboys.

Also, Dazzat, having one feeder club has been damaging to QLD rugby league in the past. It pretty much sent both Wests and Toowoomba broke. The system now is good, although sometimes it would be good if the Broncos had a bit more say in selections, for example Hoffman is playing centre for Redcliffe at the moment, but you can't win them all.

johns_reds

First Grade
I'd prefer a long term solution rather then a bandaid solution, look what happened last time we threw money at quality players on big contracts it meant we had to let one or two players go (didn't help hunt left us in the lurch either...), I don't want to see broncos become a club like roosters were they peak every 4-5 years because they buy known talent, then once that known talent becomes dead wood they are at the bottom of the table for 2-3 year before the next lot of talent is bought.

We need a long term solution and i think that is through the current squad and the under 20's squad. They have the talent and the broncos need to nurture that, We may sit at the bottom/mid table for a couple seasons but at least they'll be setting themselves up for another 10-15 year dynasty at the top with quallity players.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Also, Dazzat, having one feeder club has been damaging to QLD rugby league in the past. It pretty much sent both Wests and Toowoomba broke. The system now is good, although sometimes it would be good if the Broncos had a bit more say in selections, for example Hoffman is playing centre for Redcliffe at the moment, but you can't win them all.

How did the Broncos send Toowoomba and Wests broke? Wests were my favourite team in the Brisbane league.

Big Pete

Referee
I know the Broncos basically pulled the pin on Toowoomba after they were losing money hand over fist.

Really unsure on Wests. This is where Seagulls will come in handy surely.

cornerposter

Juniors
I say throw everthing, even the kitchen sink at Thurston. Would love to see him playing with Hodges, Folou and co every week.

My favourite player and we should have thrown everything at him when his last contract was up. Unfortunately I think the time has past for this legend to play with our great club. His recruitment at this stage would be more short term gain, than long term benefit.

the influence of Wayne Bennett still hangs over the latest generation of Baby Broncos.
He'll forever remain a legend of our club, but I think the journo's can quit giving the great man credit for anything Broncos circa 2010.

Big Pete

Referee
Yep.

The problem with Thurston, unless he WANTED to come back home I doubt he'd come cheap and the club would have to release more players just for his company.

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm not a big fan of one player like Thurston being regarded as the 'silver bullet'.

Great player, but look at the Cowboys' performance.

If Thurston comes, there goes several years of development put into the likes of Ben Hunt.

Last edited:

screeder

Juniors
Thurston's tabled offer from the cowboys is 2.1 mil over 3 years($700 000) i believe. He might want out but i can't see him in our jersey

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I suppose in a nutshell I'm asking who is our next "go to man" when Locky calls it stumps ? If Cullen fails to deliver a very strong platform "forward pack" with a couple of quality signings (Hannant, Tolman, Blair, Tronc etc), can we honestly ask Hunt, Norman or even Wallace to create sufficiently for our talented backline behind our current pack. I think it is essential we recruit ala "Glenn Lazarus" in 92 as it is vital we get a top notch go forward man to lead some of our youngsters and THEN WE'LL BE FINE.
I think this next recruitment drive does not need to be huge, but if it is neglected it could hurt us for some years to come. A strong pack is essential if Norman and Hunt are to get the kind of confidence they need post Locky, otherwise I fear they'll start asking questions of themselves and go into their shells. I'd love to see Thursto at the Broncos but also believe that window has perhaps passed (age and career goals). Civo coming home would be quite nostalgic but I fear he would depart around the same time as Locky and we'd be left with a huge void to fill again to the clubs' detriment. I'd love to see Bulla get his swansong but only if is coupled with Hannant which means Civo would have to come at significantly lower coin.
I honestly believe if Bruno Cullen gets this next one wrong far leaner times are coming fast.

Big Pete

Referee
I've noticed a few forums and threads have been discussing the topic of the club's recruitment history since 2006/07 and I've found it amazing how little everybody remembers.

While none of us here will be able to recount exactly what took place at Red Hill, I feel as if I could definitely write a solid account of what transpired over the past few years to remind you of the players we've lost and how we've lost them...

So without further ado...

The History of the Brisbane Broncos Recruitment (Since their last premiership edition)

The year was 2006, a simple year where folks didn't believe in the word choke, Tame Tupou was destroying fools and a young bludger named Darren stole the ball from Matt King's hands and went onto record Queensland's first State of Origin victory in five years. Ah those were the days.

Now onto recruitment and things weren't too easy for the Broncos. A number of prospects were coming off contract and deserved upgrades as they had since become representative stars since signing their last contracts.

Easing this bid was the retirement of Shane Webcke who had been on pretty good coin. Also supporting them in this bid was the sudden departures of Costigan and Seymour who were released from their contracts.

In doing this the Broncos were able to upgrade the contracts of Hunt, Stagg and keep Ennis, Hannant, Lacey and Moon.

However in 2007 it became apparent the club was in desperate need of a halfback after experimenting with five players in that position. The club sourced out young Peter Wallace who at this time was apart of a struggling Panthers outfit who did little to keep him. It's safe to say, the Broncos picked up a bargain and had found their half for at least the next two years.

Now this is where the recruitment began to grow weird.

Along with signing Wallace, the club announced they had signed his team mate Joel Clinton to very good coin believing he would partner Civoniceiva upfront and rebuild his floundering career.

Well...it didn't happen like that.

Camp Civoniceiva took their team sorting out a deal with the Broncos, so in their infinite wisdom the Broncos took back their contract to Petero and instead signed young prospect Ashton Sims with apart of the money and told Civoniceiva he was no longer wanted.

So Civoniceiva left as the club upgraded the contracts of Hodges (substantially, remembering of course he basically came crawling back on little coin and had since become the best centre in the game), Thaiday, Eastwood and they signed the Gold Coast connection (Kemp, Boyd and Michaels) to extensions.

Now if the Civoniceiva mess wasn't weird enough, that the club basically gave him up for Sims and a few prospects in the squad, the club finished the month of October by announcing the signing of Marsh to an alluring contract that would extend to 2010.

If you were to get my opinion, aside from Wallace the rest of these signings were touch and go. Now I can understand the signing of Clinton, he was a guy who could essentially replace the void left by Thorn, Carlaw and co. and give us that experience. Okay, I understand that...but signing both given both had been anything but sure things over the past couple of years was really silly, ditto Marsh who was more or less a novelty hooker from Parra who occasionally put on a big shot from dummy half. Really, Civoniceiva should never of left and only one of Sims/Clinton should've been signed and if the club was desperate for a back up hooker, Riley Brown should've been looked into.

Things move on and 2008 begins with the announcement Bennett is out. However to take the sting out of that announcement, Bruno announces the signing of Folau to a very handsome contract. How handsome? Well, handsome enough that a few players were going to have to leave.

Wallace had his contract substantially upgraded and Te'o is also scouted on big money. Meanwhile, half the squad is basically told to leave with only Rod Davies, Tonie Carroll and Eastwood leaving on their own accord.

Mind you, that last one could've been avoided with better management. The club just decided to be Greg's financial advisor instead of their boss and allowed him to walk out on his final year of his contract, to attempt to go overseas...when they should've known full well that he would have difficulty with his Visa.

Setu signs cheaply, wanting to return home to his large family while Gorrell is scouted from France when it's realised our stocks at No. 9 are short.

Six NYC players have their contracts upgraded.

The Broncos now have a squad made up of 7 debutants...

Te'o has his contract extended before the season begins.

Thaiday, Parker, Glenn and Kenny all re-sign to upgraded contracts.

Six NYC players are signed to two year deals.

Hunt walks out on a 400K deal. A deal that had been tabled as early as April and laid dormant until August when he made his announcement.

A QRL restricted Taylor chases the money.

Hewitt and Gorrell get a tap on the shoulder. Tupou takes a good offer from North Queensland.

Lockyer accepts less money.

Kemp comes back cheaply.

Ahern and Gillett are secured cheaply.

Clinton surprise surprise leaves.

Broncos then sign up Anderson with some of the dosh left behind.

All in all, it's just been silly. Due to the club's reckless spending, they've lost a ton of experience and damaged the culture of the Broncos by chasing after prospects instead of securing their own representative players who have since gone onto make names for themselves at other clubs.

I just hope the club learns from this period and shows more faith in their own juniors. I thought 2009 had signs of that...I hope to see it continue and improve.

Big Pete

Referee
Oh another moment I forgot.

After the announcement of Folau's signing the club looks to secure Michaels' future with an upgraded contract. Instead of signing right away, Michaels contemplates his future citing he'd rather be a centre than playing on the wing and chases a contract elsewhere.

Unfortunately for him, he suffers a major knee injury and is forced on the sidelines for a LONG time.

However the Broncos being the good Samaritans that they are offered Michaels the exact same deal as he had been offered when he was a top prospect. Michaels signs and well...the rest is history.

Dazzat

First Grade
And since 2006 who is the key talent from within the club's recruitment and development that has risen to become a top first grade player, and stayed with the club?

I can think of Thaiday, and possibly Kenny (not a top player really).

applesauce

Bench
Kenny was a very solid player when playing with Petro and Thaiday and Hannant back in 08. he looked to be a real good prop once he had the experience but now he is our no.1 prop (earlier than he should of been).

He has come out and said how he is doesn't need another big name prop and anderson and himself will get the job done, but he just is struggling having all the weight of the teams go forward on his shoulders. It's hard in that situation to set the world on fire, especially when he gets no real help from the bench.

Latest posts