What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment strategies

SaintPeter

Juniors
Quote from the SMH today.

Melbourne have secured the services of outstanding Australian Schoolboys half-back Scott Drinkwater with the hope he will take over play making duties from Cooper Cronk.

Why arent we recruiting youngsters like this?? The bloody Storm do it brilliantly.

Very frustrating. I know we try to look after our own juniors but its disappointing reading this type of article.

rainman44

Bench
Quote from the SMH today.

Melbourne have secured the services of outstanding Australian Schoolboys half-back Scott Drinkwater with the hope he will take over play making duties from Cooper Cronk.

Why arent we recruiting youngsters like this?? The bloody Storm do it brilliantly.

Very frustrating. I know we try to look after our own juniors but its disappointing reading this type of article.

I think they get first pick at the Australian schoolboys because they do not have much of a jr system. Its a massive addvantage. Nrl looking after the Storm from day dot.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I think they get first pick at the Australian schoolboys because they do not have much of a jr system. Its a massive addvantage. Nrl looking after the Storm from day dot.

No, just the way it panned out with this player

BennyV

Referee

Noone gets first pick at anyone! They have identified talent, made an offer and devised a plan for him to learn from, and eventually succeed, one of the premier halfbacks in the game. Good strategy.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Isn't Hutch in the NSW team and didn't he get Man on the Match last origin game. I would say Saints have a pretty handy junior half already. Pretty sure Crook was also is the Aust schoolboy teams.

rainman44

Bench
Noone gets first pick at anyone! They have identified talent, made an offer and devised a plan for him to learn from, and eventually succeed, one of the premier halfbacks in the game. Good strategy.

Fair enough mixed up like always. Cheers.

BennyV

Referee
Isn't Hutch in the NSW team and didn't he get Man on the Match last origin game. I would say Saints have a pretty handy junior half already. Pretty sure Crook was also is the Aust schoolboy teams.

Hutch also played junior Kangaroos.

Problem is, I think, that theres no planning for a pathway for these guys. If it wasnt for injury, Hutch wouldn't have seen first grade. Crook hasnt. Theu should have a handful of games to get a feel for what is expected so that we dont end up with another 7.JDB situation...

Mr Red

First Grade
because we have barge Ass, and want McCrone.
probably asking Fien to make a comeback as well...

we are sorted for a good few years with that lot.

FlameThrower

Bench

Problem is, I think, that theres no planning for a pathway for these guys. If it wasnt for injury, Hutch wouldn't have seen first grade. Crook hasnt. Theu should have a handful of games to get a feel for what is expected so that we dont end up with another 7.JDB situation...

Well stated, as for all of this talk of the south coast junior nursery, we either don't keep the good ones or the ones we do keep we struggle to give them any form of 1st grade experience and development path? I'm still confused on the Clubs strategy ie junior development or just go out and buy the best we can afford, as it seems to suggest our juniors are not good enough?

Forster Dragon

Juniors
We really do need a fair dinkum recruitment team if Mulholland is in fact gone.The guy at the Roosters is a Dragons junior and has a proven record.

DragonsBlood

Juniors
Remember a bloke called Damian Chapman? Wasnt he supposed to be the gun half of his generation??

Also, Troy Perkins played Australian Schoolboys in 1994. He want on to play A first grade game for us. He now coaches in the UK, I told him recently he is next in line for the Dragons coaching gig being an old boy and all :sarcasm:

The Nick

Bench
That was a long time ago. These days the majority of players who play Aus Schoolboys will go on to play NRL.

The pick of the bunch this year is Tre Williams (5/8th) down at the Raiders - keep an eye on him cos boy can he play! Hopefully he ends up on the roof with some Breezers at some stage cos I'd love to see him in the Red V.

DragonsBlood

Juniors
I actually disagree The Nick, sure there is some talent but if you have a look at the teams over the last 5yrs sure there are maybe 2/3rds that have had a taste of first grade but I dont think more than 1/3-1/2 have actually established themselves as a week in week out first grader. I not overly fussed on our recruitment not picking up Drinkwater, maybe they were put off by the Josh experiment. :)

Wont let me post the link as I dont have enough posts :eek: but check it out on wikipedia, they are all listed.

Just my opinion though and the whole reason emphasis should be taken off the 20's, half of them turn 20 and end up on the scrap heap.

BennyV

Referee
I actually disagree The Nick, sure there is some talent but if you have a look at the teams over the last 5yrs sure there are maybe 2/3rds that have had a taste of first grade but I dont think more than 1/3-1/2 have actually established themselves as a week in week out first grader. I not overly fussed on our recruitment not picking up Drinkwater, maybe they were put off by the Josh experiment. :)

Wont let me post the link as I dont have enough posts :eek: but check it out on wikipedia, they are all listed.

Just my opinion though and the whole reason emphasis should be taken off the 20's, half of them turn 20 and end up on the scrap heap.

A big problem with this is the 20s system and not having a proper reserve grade. When kids graduate from NYC, very few are up to NRL standard straight away. So many won't out the rest of their life on hold to toil away in NSW or QLD Cup while they bide their time. Of those that do, a lot won't have access to the proper training and development resources. It's a tough road.

Fingerbang

Bench

So....with Storm's planning for a pathway for Drinkwater, how much 1st grade do you reckon he is gonna see next year? My guess is none.

BennyV

Referee
So....with Storm's planning for a pathway for Drinkwater, how much 1st grade do you reckon he is gonna see next year? My guess is none.

Which is kind of the point. He is very young, easily 2-3 years off first grade. They have bought him in with a long term plan. They currently have his who can cover for Cronk in case of injury, but they also have a succession plan. It's very clever recruitment.

Fingerbang

Bench
Which is kind of the point. He is very young, easily 2-3 years off first grade. They have bought him in with a long term plan. They currently have his who can cover for Cronk in case of injury, but they also have a succession plan. It's very clever recruitment.
I'm confused....so Storm not playing their back up halfback in first grade for 2 - 3 years is clever, but us not having played Hutchison in first grade for 2 - 3 years before this year is not clever?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Storms halves have been kimmorley, Orford and Cronk? They know how to find one. Don't worry about the storm, they can take care of themselves.