What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment strategies

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Just some info to add to Storm recruiting...
Last year Storm forged a partnership with the Sunshine Coast Falcons in Qld Intrust Super Cup. Up until this year, with no NRL affiliation for the Falcons, they would regularly get beaten by cricket scores.
However, that changed this year and the Falcons now have Storm coaching staff assigned up here on a full time basis.
To top it off, in a smart recruiting move that will help capture the best of QLD's young guns, the Storm will now be basing their U 20's squad here on the Sunshine Coast on a full time basis. They will travel t all games from here. This helps those youngsters that may shy away from being so far away from home, foreign city, culture etc and still allows them an introduction and experience of NRL life.
Very clever move.

BennyV

Referee
I'm confused....so Storm not playing their back up halfback in first grade for 2 - 3 years is clever, but us not having played Hutchison in first grade for 2 - 3 years before this year is not clever?

I'm not surprised...

This kid is not Storms back up half. That would fall on Ben Hampton, who has filled in for Cronk during origin and would likely continue to do so. Drinkwater is their long term successor. They have recognised that Cronk has probably only got 2-3 good years left so they are planning early. Its highly likely that he will get a bit of a taste off the bench in 2017, despite still being underage then. However, there wont be huge pressure on the kid to fill Cronks boots immediately if he goes down. Ergo, clever.

On the other hand, Hutch IS our back up half, as well as (presumably) our successor in the halves. He is realistically not far from being ready for first grade. But what is not clever is the fact that he had zero experience in first grade by the time he was called upon to start at 7. Was doomed from the get go. That is as much a recruitment issue as it is a development issue. Ergo, not clever.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I'm not surprised...

This kid is not Storms back up half. That would fall on Ben Hampton, who has filled in for Cronk during origin and would likely continue to do so. Drinkwater is their long term successor. They have recognised that Cronk has probably only got 2-3 good years left so they are planning early. Its highly likely that he will get a bit of a taste off the bench in 2017, despite still being underage then. However, there wont be huge pressure on the kid to fill Cronks boots immediately if he goes down. Ergo, clever.

On the other hand, Hutch IS our back up half, as well as (presumably) our successor in the halves. He is realistically not far from being ready for first grade. But what is not clever is the fact that he had zero experience in first grade by the time he was called upon to start at 7. Was doomed from the get go. That is as much a recruitment issue as it is a development issue. Ergo, not clever.

I agree regarding Hutchison, but I have a feeling we will fluff this up somehow; the key issue will be if they decide to extend Marshall or not.

They shouldn't but I still don't see Hutchinson as a 5/8 he's a big boy he might do a sutton and move to lock in the future.

FlameThrower

Bench
I agree regarding Hutchison, but I have a feeling we will fluff this up somehow; the key issue will be if they decide to extend Marshall or not.

That's the worry , the front office and strategy has not been that solid in last few years, Bird, Hastings and Cooke, 3 recent examples of stuff ups - but Hastings was long shot to keep with Roosters powers of persuasion !!

Latest posts