What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment

Green Evil

Juniors
I just read the following article in the Canberra Times

Moon sizes up move to Raiders

BY LEE GASKIN
02 Jun, 2011 08:49 AM
Off-contract Warriors utility Joel Moon is open to an offer from the Canberra Raiders, but his manager admits centre isn't his favoured position.
Moon has been touted as one of the Raiders' main recruiting targets as the club looks to sign an experienced centre for next season.
Right centre is an area in which the Raiders lack depth.
Joel Thompson has filled the role during the past two seasons, but he is just as damaging as a wide-running back-rower.
Moon has spent the bulk of his six NRL seasons shuffled between the centres, lock and halves.
His manager, Daryl Mather, said lock was the 23-year-old's best position.
''That's part of the Joel Moon dilemma,'' Mather said. ''He's a prodigious talent, on his day he's phenomenal. But he's a manufactured centre.
''At five-eighth he's failed to dictate the terms of a game like [Terry] Campese does for the full 80 minutes.
''At lock he gives a nice balance. He plays a quasi lock/five-eighth role and he can express himself in attack and he's an aggressive defender.
''Lock is ultimately where he'll play his best football.''
Moon's opportunities in the No13 jersey would be limited in Canberra, with Shaun Fensom earmarked as the Raiders' long-term lock forward.
''That could make it difficult, because [the Raiders] probably see [Moon] as one of the other two positions and [Moon] may have to play there,'' Mather said.
''But I think long-term lock is probably his best outcome.''
Since joining the Warriors in 2009 Moon has played mostly in the centres. He played the first three rounds of this season in that position before being dropped.
New Zealand's stellar form since has made it difficult for Moon to regain his place in the top grade.
In 2008 Moon rejected an offer to join the Raiders from the Broncos, instead joining the Warriors on a three-year deal.
Mather insisted his client would listen to another approach, but the Raiders were yet to make contact.
''Canberra haven't rung me to date,'' Mather said. ''He [Moon] is probably feeling it's not working out at the Warriors, so we are endeavouring to bring him back to Australia. ''We're in the process now of looking at potential suitors for him and I'd like to hear from everybody that is interested.''

I think we need to be looking at who is available in the outside backs following the whole Monaghan saga. We do have Vidot (who is a centre in my opinion) and a couple of guys in the Under 20s who we seem to be grooming for centre like Haydon Hodge but we lack a bit of depth.

This article is an attempt by Moons manager to get people interested in him cause he has been forgotten about a little butu if he isnt a better centre than berrigan and the second rowers the warriors are playing in the centres we dont want him. He says lock is his position anyway and in my eyes we are well served in that area. I would have been trying to get Esi Tonga before he signed with the Eels or maybe having a crack at Joseph Tomane who is off contract and the Titans have already signed up their centres for next year.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on who we could be looking at to supplement the people we currently have?

supera

Juniors
outside backs is obviously the area that we're lacking depth in. Thompson shouldve been in the back row this season IMO, but without robbing Peter to pay Paul (moving ferguson, thus creating another hole) we haven't really got another centre. as good as croker has been recently, I'm not sure he'll make it as a centre either - compared to other nrl centres, he might be too small.

I doubt moon is the man - we've shown this season that packing the whole team full of huge bodies isn't necessarily beneficial.

Timbo

Staff member
No thanks to Moon.

How's Vidot going in the Q-Cup? He could come onto the wing for Fergs who moves to centre.

Only centres we need is for depth. Nothing else.

Much prefer we stuck to this:

1. Dugan
2. Ferguson
3. Croker
4. Vidot
5. Robinson

Robinson has more than proven that he is worth a first grade spot.

aussies1st

Staff member
Much rather we looked at our u20 guys, the fact he can't get past 2 backrowers playing in his position says all you need to know.

Signing Moon would be a poor decision.

We went after him a few years ago and he went to the Warriors instead , there he hasnt lived up to his potential , nor did he at the Broncos.

Id rather get a younger player , who would be cheaper because I would see Moon as nothing but a depth signing who would be playing in our reggies.

Vidot when back from injury should be our centre and JT to the backrow

Green Evil

Juniors
Wes Naiqama could be an option as he is off contract and playing well for the knights at centre. Although he has done nothing for the last 2 years for them. Probably injury related as much as anything but might only have a go when his contract is up.

aussies1st

Staff member
Main reason why Wes hasn't shinned previously is because he has struggled to get past the incumbents.

Latest posts