What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

It's Been Done

Juniors
It’s tough though because especially in Australia I think you’ll find most of the regional grounds that have any sort of spectator capacity will be ovals, do we just brush regional footy entirely? I do think though that not having them as night games would help, night footy on big ovals with small crowds just looks terrible.
It would be because most regional grounds that are ovals host cricket. Bundy's Salter Oval is another NRL ground that's normally a local cricket ground. I'm pretty sure the people of those towns don't care wether it's an oval or not when hosting NRL games as long as they get even just one game. Hell they wouldn't care if the ground has nothing but a cowshed at the ground as long as they get any rare professional sporting event in their town

Iamback

Coach
With the money they’re likely going to pump in to Suncorp they won’t want to lose more Suncorp games from the Dolphins who are the 2nd highest drawing tenant.

Brisbane could do with a 20-25k rectangular stadium though, mainly for Reds & Roar but RL could get some use out of it as well. I doubt it will be Redcliffe though, somewhere more central when/if it happens.

Govt policy is 24 major sports events at Suncorp. 35k or over, Last year there were 20

Iamback

Coach
Link?
That is almost one every 2 weeks over a 12 month period. That ain't going to happen.

Sorry I can't post links off my phone. Article was in Brisbane Times Feb 18 for anyone with access.

Here is one about concerts that ch7 ran. It mentions the same thing. About 24 and them changing it be 45k instead of 35k to get more usage

It isn't as simple as every game can be played at a single venue.

Dolphins will get more popular and hit the threshold. NRLW too,

Attachments

• IMG_2862.png
    IMG_2862.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2861.png
    IMG_2861.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 10

Suitman

Post Whore
Sorry I can't post links off my phone. Article was in Brisbane Times Feb 18 for anyone with access.

Here is one about concerts that ch7 ran. It mentions the same thing. About 24 and them changing it be 45k instead of 35k to get more usage

It isn't as simple as every game can be played at a single venue.

Dolphins will get more popular and hit the threshold. NRLW too,

Thanks for the effort in posting that detail.

Reactions: Vee

Iamback

Coach
Thanks for the effort in posting that detail.

No worries. When you break it down, RL is hamstrung by that rule

You are more a soccer fan than me. What is safe to add in to that 24. 1 x Mens and 1 x Womens test match?

You can probably pencil in a Rugby test match because for some reason people still watch them.

Magic Round - I guess would be a single event not 3.

So there is 4.

Origin x 2 because Womens will be at that number within 5-10 years.

There is 6 gone.

They'd have the Stadium booked all 3 weeks for the finals just incase. Do these count incase they are needed? Like I wouldn't imagine they'd book these outside of the 24 and move something else.

You throw in pretty much every Broncos home game - because only members stop the crowd from being sold out.

No worries. When you break it down, RL is hamstrung by that rule

You are more a soccer fan than me. What is safe to add in to that 24. 1 x Mens and 1 x Womens test match?

You can probably pencil in a Rugby test match because for some reason people still watch them.

Magic Round - I guess would be a single event not 3.

So there is 4.

Origin x 2 because Womens will be at that number within 5-10 years.

There is 6 gone.

They'd have the Stadium booked all 3 weeks for the finals just incase. Do these count incase they are needed? Like I wouldn't imagine they'd book these outside of the 24 and move something else.

You throw in pretty much every Broncos home game - because only members stop the crowd from being sold out.
Women's Origin should be held at Robina, Townsville, Newcastle and Wollongong.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It would be because most regional grounds that are ovals host cricket. Bundy's Salter Oval is another NRL ground that's normally a local cricket ground. I'm pretty sure the people of those towns don't care wether it's an oval or not when hosting NRL games as long as they get even just one game. Hell they wouldn't care if the ground has nothing but a cowshed at the ground as long as they get any rare professional sporting event in their town
Yeah I agree. Should just stick to holding day games at them, in the daylight you get a proper view of everything and they look picturesque but at night they just look empty and cavernous.

jim_57

Staff member
Govt policy is 24 major sports events at Suncorp. 35k or over, Last year there were 20

Yeh I found that, I put it in a post a couple posts after the one you quoted.

Only Dolphins V Broncos will crack that this year in regards to Dolphins’ home games. Broncos have already gone past 35k 8 times with 4 games to go plus any finals. Throw in Magic x 3 & Origin and NRL will use most of that quota themselves.

Hopefully they change it to 40k or 45k soon.

siv

First Grade
This is where RL can benefit regional venues

Coffs is two footy fields side by side with a cricket pitch between them

NRL should work with local governments to get a 5k grandstand built, 4 change rooms and regional CoE. Coffs its something like 500 seat grandstand

Iamback

Coach
Yeh I found that, I put it in a post a couple posts after the one you quoted.

Only Dolphins V Broncos will crack that this year in regards to Dolphins’ home games. Broncos have already gone past 35k 8 times with 4 games to go plus any finals. Throw in Magic x 3 & Origin and NRL will use most of that quota themselves.

Hopefully they change it to 40k or 45k soon.

Even if they change the quota, There would still be a maximum they can use the ground and still be able to maintain it.

The olympics seems like a wasted chance to of built and AAMI Park, CommBank style smaller ground that would take some events away

steeden.

Juniors
Off the top of my head Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Dubbo, Tamworth, Bathurst & Wagga are all rectangular-ish.

It’d be good if some more regional venues were better quality 12-15k grounds but in reality who will pay for it. At least Sunshine Coast & Cairns are getting something from the Olympics budget.
Sunshine Coast lead the way: it was an oval, and they built a grandstand on one side of the oval to make it impossible to play

Latest posts