What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Puff

First Grade
Tesi Niu re-signs till the end of 2024.

Good move by the Dolphins. Niu has had a checkered career but there's talent there and if he can have a big off-season it'll really bolster the Dolphins backline.
Playing outside proper centres he may shine next year

Puff

First Grade
What's a Marquee? Is that when you pay an overrated player a ton of money for little result. I'm just happy that the Dolphins didn't sign Brandon Smith or Ponga. And as old mate said, Hammer is now a Marquee Player.
What’s a marquee? That’s the conundrum.

Hammer is a marquee.

Ill rephrase it I guess. We need a leader/general to run our side around. Someone that will lead by example in a 7 role who can tactically get us in position to win games. And who is vocal enough to get energy on the field especially early in the game. I am not convinced SOS is that player.

I don’t care what we pay him. However, like you mention no one wants to overpay.

Puff

First Grade
I also think Katoa would benefit from an organising 7. Allowing him to run and create, rather then having him stress about kicking and organising too.

MugaB

Coach
What’s a marquee? That’s the conundrum.

Hammer is a marquee.

Ill rephrase it I guess. We need a leader/general to run our side around. Someone that will lead by example in a 7 role who can tactically get us in position to win games. And who is vocal enough to get energy on the field especially early in the game. I am not convinced SOS is that player.

I don’t care what we pay him. However, like you mention no one wants to overpay.
SOS is that player... he did it at panthers, he'll do it here... let the cobwebs settle... have you forgotten the dolphins start of the year?

Puff

First Grade
SOS is that player... he did it at panthers, he'll do it here... let the cobwebs settle... have you forgotten the dolphins start of the year?
Yeah I’ll wait and see.

Haven’t forgotten our start. By no means.

I just don’t think SOS will win us a comp. Just an opinion.

Puff

First Grade
That kick at the end of the first half sums up SoS. Wrong option, ball needed to go up, he kicks it in to touch.

He might be an okay player, he isn’t at the level we need.

He is steady, we need a game win, someone that can take the game by the scruff of the neck. He was solid for Penrith, with a premiership winning team around him. They made him look better then he is.

Last edited:

Puff

First Grade
In the lead with about 10 to go, looking for a game manager to keep heads in the game, and sail the ship to shore.

Not SoS's fault by any means, definitely not. But that's exactly what we are missing, what you saw tonight.

Galant effort

MugaB

Coach
That kick at the end of the first half sums up SoS. Wrong option, ball needed to go up, he kicks it in to touch.

He might be an okay player, he isn’t at the level we need.

He is steady, we need a game win, someone that can take the game by the scruff of the neck. He was solid for Penrith, with a premiership winning team around him. They made him look better then he is.
Opposite... i reckon he make you look better than what you are... not every half makes the best plays every single kick... how many games you guys win with him controlling the game? Now how many without... the forwards are great, but lack of defensive effort across the board is hurting the dolphins.. a game manager on the front foot wins games...

Colk

First Grade
Opposite... i reckon he make you look better than what you are... not every half makes the best plays every single kick... how many games you guys win with him controlling the game? Now how many without... the forwards are great, but lack of defensive effort across the board is hurting the dolphins.. a game manager on the front foot wins games...

I don’t think it was a lack of game management. It was more some freakish play from Cobbo and some bad calls going against them.

They are building ok

Puff

First Grade

All good, he made errors tonight I wasn't impressed with. The try Val scored, he over ran the hooker, we were lucky the ref had a mare of a game that he missed the forward from JMK to SoS, because he over ran the play, the kick was dumb. The kick into carrigans guts was bad, albeit he knocked it on 5 times for the ref only to miss that as well. He passed it over the sideline on another play, and totally misjudged the Cobbo chip whilst he was behind the line. I actually thought he was not very good tonight. But thats just my opinon. There is no doubt he makes us better, because we have no other option.

However, there are far better options, and we need a 7 that is at a higher level then him. We have a simple game plan, very narrow up the middle, part because I dont think his organisational skill are where they should be, so Bennett has made it easy for him. Bennett did the same for Soward back in the day. He made a very average 6 look a lot better then he was by playing to his strengths.

Tonight confirmed it for me, we need better then SoS if we are goign to make the finals and compete from there.

Its a shame his dad is one of the better recruitment managers. As i think it might have been a package deal of some sort.

Last edited:

Puff

First Grade
I don’t think it was a lack of game management. It was more some freakish play from Cobbo and some bad calls going against them.

They are building ok
Bro SoS was poor, and Nui had a mare against Cobbo. Just call it for what it is.

Oh, and the ref was f**king shocking tonight, for both sides. It wasnt why we lost. But just an added point, they were bad. I think we were out 3 times in one play, and they didnt see one of them, and the touchie was 2m away. WTF

Colk

First Grade
Bro SoS was poor, and Nui had a mare against Cobbo. Just call it for what it is.

Oh, and the ref was f**king shocking tonight, for both sides. It wasnt why we lost. But just an added point, they were bad. I think we were out 3 times in one play, and they didnt see one of them, and the touchie was 2m away. WTF

True. That last penalty was very bad.

My worries about expansion are more about refereeing and coaching. Some of the refereeing in the Raiders and Titans was pretty bad as well

Puff

First Grade
Hoping playing outside Herbie next year will lift him.

Our centres have been the worst in the league.

Big Pete

Referee
One signing that has slipped under the radar but is well worth keeping an eye out for is James Walsh.

Walsh was signed from the Steelers SG Ball side and plays backrow. He's a fairly mobile player and if I was to make a comparison, it'd be Billy Peden. Not the biggest player, but not afraid to rip in.

If you get the opportunity, check out his game against Tweed Heads on 9Now, he was close to the best player on the park which is really impressive for an 18 year old.

Puff

First Grade
Plenty of space in the cap for us to make moves, and next year looks good already with our additions.

Good signs

Latest posts