What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Big Pete

Referee
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow has extended till the end of 2027.

Source

Right on cue, now they can focus on the roster of their roster.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
As far as Sam Walker, he'd would be an exception to what I was saying about Mam. He is a year older, but even then he's got more to his game and I could see him complimenting Katoa. If the Roosters wanted to go in a different direction, the Dolphins shouldn't hesitate at all.

Puff

First Grade
good to see hammer and extend. I would Wayne would definitely be on the phone to someone about Walker.

MugaB

Coach
good to see hammer and extend. I would Wayne would definitely be on the phone to someone about Walker.
I like walker, but he is a huge defensive liability, osullivan is a better all round halfback, and isn't afraid of the traffic that get sent his way..

Big Pete

Referee
The unfortunate issue with O'Sullivan is his body. It's betrayed him on so many occasions and unavailability is the worst trait to have in a player. I don't think the Dolphins should force him out but by the same token they'd be foolish not to consider their halves options.

I thought Walker's defence has improved in recent times. He should be able to put some more muscle on his frame - don't forget he's only 21.

Puff

First Grade
I think we also have the forwards to protect him.

Slot Ray Stone next to him, problem solved

MugaB

Coach
The unfortunate issue with O'Sullivan is his body. It's betrayed him on so many occasions and unavailability is the worst trait to have in a player. I don't think the Dolphins should force him out but by the same token they'd be foolish not to consider their halves options.

I thought Walker's defence has improved in recent times. He should be able to put some more muscle on his frame - don't forget he's only 21.
Walker and Katoa are both young, going to have problems if you have 2 rookies in at such a demanding position, both will be targeted heavily, again OSullivan is a walk in for any team, looking over the fence for a kid like walker, when you already have a rookie superstar in Katoa, is just bad business, it just screams of titans last few seasons with Sexton and Boyd, both are good, but together are not mature enough to handle 25 rounds of footy

Big Pete

Referee
Walker and Katoa are both young, going to have problems if you have 2 rookies in at such a demanding position, both will be targeted heavily, again OSullivan is a walk in for any team, looking over the fence for a kid like walker, when you already have a rookie superstar in Katoa, is just bad business, it just screams of titans last few seasons with Sexton and Boyd, both are good, but together are not mature enough to handle 25 rounds of footy
That's a fair concern, but when you have two highly talented halves they can be the exception to the rule. In all due respect to Boyd and Sexton, neither are on the level of Walker & Katoa.

I wouldn't get too ahead of myself here because it could really just be a small blip on the radar and in a year's time it could be Keary making way for Walker. However I think it boils down to O'Sullivan and clearly you have a bigger rap on him than I do. I think he's a solid back-up option, but I'm not convinced he's anything more at this stage.

MugaB

Coach
That's a fair concern, but when you have two highly talented halves they can be the exception to the rule. In all due respect to Boyd and Sexton, neither are on the level of Walker & Katoa.

I wouldn't get too ahead of myself here because it could really just be a small blip on the radar and in a year's time it could be Keary making way for Walker. However I think it boils down to O'Sullivan and clearly you have a bigger rap on him than I do. I think he's a solid back-up option, but I'm not convinced he's anything more at this stage.
No way, ive followed his stint at warriors and panthers, even tho he was a back up, and he is more kick accurate and as competent as Cleary, the thing i like about him is he efforts off the ball, defensively solid, dont need no backrower protection... and organises well, lets katoa be katoa,
Walker would suffer if he had to do all that, infact the roosters have him playing at 7 when he should be a 6... keary does all the halfback work, walkers the spark... its the problem with a lot of teams, playing two 6s, instead of a 7 and 6, dolphins have it right, 7 directs, 6 sparks... only if injurys occour do you need to mix things up, as in this case with Osullivan and Katoa

Puff

First Grade
Wighton met with Bennett Thursday. Meeting South’s Friday.

Reckon we matched Canberras offer. I think he might sign with South’s.

However, Bennett does have this magic about him.

Puff

First Grade

Same, I am not a massive wrap on O Sullivan.

Big Pete

Referee
Disappointing news in the sense he was the best player on the open market and he's strong on both sides of the footy. Wighton would have fit in nicely at the Dolphins and would have been an upgrade, but they may have dodged a bullet. It sounds like he's willing to sacrifice money in order to win a premiership and wants to do it alongside his mate Latrell.

It's difficult to see where he fits in at Souths, or how Souths could even afford him. I'd imagine he'll replace Tass in the centres, but anything less than $700,000 for his services would be a joke.

The one thing the Dolphins recruitment has largely done a good job of is identifying players who are willing to put in the work. The risk of signing every marquee free agent is that you take on players who treat it as a pension and take the team on a ride. They may have missed out on their target this season, but this squad is only getting stronger and if they can keep rising up the ladder they should secure some big names in the years to come.

I still think in Flegler and Farnworth the Dolphins have gotten enough out of this player market. Anything after that is a bonus, especially with the talent coming through.

Puff

First Grade
Disappointing news in the sense he was the best player on the open market and he's strong on both sides of the footy. Wighton would have fit in nicely at the Dolphins and would have been an upgrade, but they may have dodged a bullet. It sounds like he's willing to sacrifice money in order to win a premiership and wants to do it alongside his mate Latrell.

It's difficult to see where he fits in at Souths, or how Souths could even afford him. I'd imagine he'll replace Tass in the centres, but anything less than $700,000 for his services would be a joke.

The one thing the Dolphins recruitment has largely done a good job of is identifying players who are willing to put in the work. The risk of signing every marquee free agent is that you take on players who treat it as a pension and take the team on a ride. They may have missed out on their target this season, but this squad is only getting stronger and if they can keep rising up the ladder they should secure some big names in the years to come.

I still think in Flegler and Farnworth the Dolphins have gotten enough out of this player market. Anything after that is a bonus, especially with the talent coming through.
Dude we are one marquee away from being legit.

It’s disappointing because that would have shown we mean business.

I live in hope for a marquee half and a centre for next year. And pushing for finals

Big Pete

Referee
Dude we are one marquee away from being legit.

It’s disappointing because that would have shown we mean business.

I live in hope for a marquee half and a centre for next year. And pushing for finals
I disagree, the Dolphins have already shown they're legit.

If you mean a force, I don't think Wighton is the player that gets them there. If he was, why haven't the Raiders dominated every season? It's not like he's a one man team, so often he's just as guilty for their misfortunes as anyone else.

Puff

First Grade
I disagree, the Dolphins have already shown they're legit.

If you mean a force, I don't think Wighton is the player that gets them there. If he was, why haven't the Raiders dominated every season? It's not like he's a one man team, so often he's just as guilty for their misfortunes as anyone else.
Yeah, I mean force (legit). I do think we are the real deal.

Raiders haven't dominated because Ricky is a hoax. And half their team isnt up to it.

We have Wayne, and a lot of good, experienced players, with some good ones coming next year.

Latest posts