What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Puff

First Grade
Opposite... i reckon he make you look better than what you are... not every half makes the best plays every single kick... how many games you guys win with him controlling the game? Now how many without... the forwards are great, but lack of defensive effort across the board is hurting the dolphins.. a game manager on the front foot wins games...
BHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

That should signal the end of SoS and half for the Dolphins.

I thought he was an okay player, but today confirmed for me he isnt even just okay, he is a reserve grader at best.

We need a new 7 for next year, with MILF being the back up rather then SoS.

PhinsUp889

Juniors
SOS isn’t a starting 7 in this league. He’s a back up half that can be thrown in to cover injuries and/or origin time but you aren’t playing finals with him as the main shot caller. Not that we were expected to do that this year, but I was hopeful of a change there next year. Wont happen though with dad in charge of recruitment.

edit. Long term lurker, first poster etc. Grew up supporting Phins in Q cup. 3rd generation supporter, was so pumped when we finally got the licence.

Puff

First Grade
SOS isn’t a starting 7 in this league. He’s a back up half that can be thrown in to cover injuries and/or origin time but you aren’t playing finals with him as the main shot caller. Not that we were expected to do that this year, but I was hopeful of a change there next year. Wont happen though with dad in charge of recruitment.

edit. Long term lurker, first poster etc. Grew up supporting Phins in Q cup. 3rd generation supporter, was so pumped when we finally got the licence.
Welcome bro, post more.

Dad in recruitment shouldn’t be an issue. Having 2 in the family out of work isn’t good. Being in football both need to be honest with themselves, they otherwise they would be where they are at.

SOS knows his level, and so does his dad. Just like I know my kids level in their chosen sport. And I tell them as much having coached it at a high level.

Also no coach would die on that hill. Not Bennett, or even Wolff who seems to have done well oversea.

Puff

First Grade
I have no doubt we will have a new 7 new year. Whether we recruit or not.

Kodi/Katoa - Katoa/Milf - milf/kodi. All better then. Having SoS there

PhinsUp889

Juniors
I did see Buzz say we are playing $2m under the cap this year and as such was able to bring some contracts “forward”.

Obviously we’ve already got Herbie, Flegler and Averillo coming next year, but Reader did say the other day there is still “a lot of time until round 1, 2024”. Makes me think we aren’t done yet for next season 🙏🤞.

Puff

First Grade
I did see Buzz say we are playing $2m under the cap this year and as such was able to bring some contracts “forward”.

Obviously we’ve already got Herbie, Flegler and Averillo coming next year, but Reader did say the other day there is still “a lot of time until round 1, 2024”. Makes me think we aren’t done yet for next season 🙏🤞.
Yeah I have seen we are 2 mil under from other sources.

Prop and 7 should be our targets.

Puff

First Grade
Dolphins signed both Katoa and SOS to play halfback from Penrith. Plus Milf and Kodi also, why the need for a 7.
Katoa has been playing 6

SoS is f**king dogs balls

Kodi is an ideal 14.

Milf is backup level.

And we don’t want to finish out of the 8 every year.

Black Panther

Juniors
Katoa has been playing 6

SoS is f**king dogs balls

Kodi is an ideal 14.

Milf is backup level.

And we don’t want to finish out of the 8 every year.
Seems like the Dolphins made some panic signings then. You don’t think Katoa is a 7 or SOS he proved he had it last year. Maybe he is just playing in a shit team this year.

Puff

First Grade
Seems like the Dolphins made some panic signings then. You don’t think Katoa is a 7 or SOS he proved he had it last year. Maybe he is just playing in a shit team this year.
Nah SoS isnt that good, and it's made more obvious playing in a new team.

Playing in the Panthers line up masked his ability due to the talent around him.

Dolphins didn't make panic signings, it's the nature of a new team, players not liking the unknown and not wanting to come. It's totally normal. In fact, with Wolff to be our coach in the future, there is even more unknown. So, I think we will find it hard to attract top line players for next year too. it's the nature of the beast.

Katoa is still young with plenty of development left in him. He was touted as a 7, playing at 6. However, just watching him I'd imagine 6 might be better for him with his running and ability to step sharply at the line. However, he is still an unknown for the amateur eye like mine. I have enjoyed watching him, and I think he is a keeper long term.

SoS even at the Panthers looked pedestrian. Just moving the ball on. When we signed him, I was concerned, and nothing since then has changed my mind.

Even as a backup, Id be praying for no injuries.

Big Pete

Referee
Hahahahahaha too funny, there you go @Big Pete
According to the article Pangai Jr has no interest in playing for the Dolphins.

I don't necessarily believe him, but thinking on it some more, I don't think Pangai Jr fits the culture of the club. He'd be handy in the short-term signing but I doubt he'd played as well under Woolf and the Dolphins is all about pride in the jersey and not letting your mates down.

As talented as Pangai is, he plays for himself.

Puff

First Grade
According to the article Pangai Jr has no interest in playing for the Dolphins.

I don't necessarily believe him, but thinking on it some more, I don't think Pangai Jr fits the culture of the club. He'd be handy in the short-term signing but I doubt he'd played as well under Woolf and the Dolphins is all about pride in the jersey and not letting your mates down.

As talented as Pangai is, he plays for himself.
Yeah.

I believe at top level it’s all about man management and what a coach can get out of their players. I don’t think many coaches can do that like Wayne.

however, Wayne is only here next year. So not sure about TPJ. I reckon he performs under Wayne. Not sure about anyone else.

50/50 for mine. We are cutting a few dead wood style players like Lee, Milf and the like. So we are going to need a few more bodies for next year in a squad that was missing one from memory.

Next few months will be interesting.

Jason Maher

Immortal
My xmas wish for the offseason, is a leader in the halves.

Can you please buy me one Uncle Wayne.
Same. Not sure who is available for next year though.

We also need another young prop or two. Bromwich x2, GOAT, Wallace are all the wrong side of 30. JJ Collins and Kerr both turn 28 in February (not even sure if Collins is staying on next year).

The 3 big signings we've made for next year are exactly what we needed. Flegler is a gun, and at 24 is just coming into his prime. The exact sort of prop we needed. Farnworth showed this year just how good he is, and centre was very much a weakness for us this year. I'm sure the donkeys are fuming about losing both of them. Averillo gives us some genuine pace out wide, whether at centre or wing, and can also cover the spine in a pinch.

Next year we will obviously have Isaako and Herbie as locks, with the other centre and wing positions up for grabs. With Averillo the question is whether to play him centre or use his pace on the wing, and who gets the remaining sport out of Niu or Te Whare. I think I'd go with Tessi at centre and Averillo on the wing. I don't think Te Whare is up to first grade standard, at least not yet. And Tessi is much better at centre than on the wing. But perhaps Averillo is wasted on the flank. Wayne will figure it out anyway.

Puff

First Grade
Yeah I think Averillo will play centre. I thought he performed well in a poor bulldogs team his year. I think he will surprise. Don’t forget he can play FB too. Not that I would do it. But hammer to the centres with Averillo to FB might be their thought as well.

we signed a young forward the other day. And escapes me. So I think Flegler will be our main guy up front l, with a mix of old heads and young dudes. I think Flegler was the best forward on the park in the gf. He will make everyone better next year.

we need a half. Mam off contract. We should go hard, worst case broncos do their ass on him.

Puff

First Grade
Oryn Keeley from the knights.

Had a bad neck injury. But was considered one of the gun forward coming up the youth ranks.

Last edited: