What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins

Jason Maher

Immortal
I like it a lot. A team with a long, proud and successful history up here, and a good local support base to build on. Much prefer them or the Jets to get up over the artificial bombers. The fact they're willing to embrace a partnership with a relocated Sydney team is a big plus. Ideally, if they were to enter the NRL, they should be looking to include the Sunshine Coast as part of their area as well.

beads6

First Grade
It makes more sense than having a second Brisbane team IMO. Dolphins have a long proud history with plenty of fans and plenty of dollars... I would be all for it.

ash the bash

Juniors
The history is great, good colours and a strong leagues club... would prefer it to the Brisbane Bombers.

Quidgybo

Bench
I like it a lot. A team with a long, proud and successful history up here, and a good local support base to build on. Much prefer them or the Jets to get up over the artificial bombers.
The problem with bringing in the Dolphins or Jets in a way that is closely associated with their existing identity is the same that existed when we had to decide whether to bring the best of the local Brisbane teams into the Sydney comp instead of creating the Broncos. And it's the same that affects support for Port Adelaide in the AFL. That is that local fans have existing prejudices. Avoiding losing potential fans to those prejudices is precisely why a new team needs a so called "artificial" identity.

Sure, there are plenty of fans left from the old Brisbane comp who refused to support the Broncos. But a fan who stayed loyal to Wynnum Manly or to Brisbane Easts is hardly going to get behind the Dolphins or the Jets in the NRL. Those clubs are bitter rivals of their team. Only a new identity that is neutral to existing loyalties has any hope of unifying the large base of anti Bronco support behind it.

That's not to say it has to be the Bombers bid that wins or the team has to be based in Brisbane city instead of in the Western Corridor or on the Sunshine Coast. But any alignment with an existing local club needs to be very carefully managed and not highlighted such that it confines potential support to only fans of that local club (and non aligned fans).

Leigh

bobmar28

Bench
The problem with bringing in the Dolphins or Jets in a way that is closely associated with their existing identity is the same that existed when we had to decide whether to bring the best of the local Brisbane teams into the Sydney comp instead of creating the Broncos. And it's the same that affects support for Port Adelaide in the AFL. That is that local fans have existing prejudices. Avoiding losing potential fans to those prejudices is precisely why a new team needs a so called "artificial" identity.

Sure, there are plenty of fans left from the old Brisbane comp who refused to support the Broncos. But a fan who stayed loyal to Wynnum Manly or to Brisbane Easts is hardly going to get behind the Dolphins or the Jets in the NRL. Those clubs are bitter rivals of their team. Only a new identity that is neutral to existing loyalties has any hope of unifying the large base of anti Bronco support behind it.

That's not to say it has to be the Bombers bid that wins or the team has to be based in Brisbane city instead of in the Western Corridor or on the Sunshine Coast. But any alignment with an existing local club needs to be very carefully managed and not highlighted such that it confines potential support to only fans of that local club (and non aligned fans).

Leigh

But teams like the Jets or dolphins come with great names that are not 'borrowed' from AFL.

Teddyboy

First Grade

Leigh

So do you think the the better of the game the NRL had the Bronco's or merge the strongest clubs of the BRL with the NSWRL.

beave

Coach
I guess there's 2 trains of thought if Redcliffe get into the comp.

1. you get the strongest QLD Cup team (financially speaking) into the comp with a great original name (for Rugby League)

or

2. You alienate people in Brisbane who hate the Broncos AND hate the Dolphins.

Noa

First Grade
East Coast Tiger proves Quidgybo' correct point. On the surface it seems like a good idea but youve started off immediately alienating a large section of your potential audience. Maybe they could strike some sort of partnership with the Bombers but as a stand alone entity I wouldnt consider them.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Not a chance in hell would they get my support. Redcliffe are like mortal enemies.

I come from a line of Easts and Wynnum supporters and the very idea of them being in the comp is abhorrent to me.

Such a shame the bombers bid has gone down the path they've chosen. None of the SEQ bids appeal to me now.

docbrown

Coach
Weren't Redcliffe alligned to the Bombers consortium previously?

Was there a falling out or did Redcliffe not want to play 2nd fiddle?

Interesting given that both are targetting similar territory...

Mr Fourex

Bench
As a Redcliffe old boy .......born and bred

I say

BRING IT ON !!!!

PDT_002.gif

juanfarkall

Coach
Redcliffe are to the Brisbane comp as Manly were in the NSWRL.
I hate those bayside merkins not to mention the fact that areas like Clontarf are little more than Inala or Woodridge with jellyfish.

The real reason that a rail line connecting Redcliffe to civilisation will never be built is because it would then allow the ferals to enter Brisbane.

smithie

Juniors
This is a joke. Redcliffe only has a population of about 50,000.

This once again highlights the need for a second Brisbane to be a straight up second Brisbane team, permanently playing at Suncorp Stadium, that anyone in the greater Brisbane area can support including Redcliffe and Ipswich, not just for them exclusively. All this will do is strengthen the Bombers bid and weaken the Western Corridor bid at the same time.

I look forward to reading an article about a Logan bid next week and maybe a Caboolture bid the week after.

jk13

First Grade
Can't stand the dolphins. Though I support wynnum, I would support any other old team over the dolphins

This is a joke. Redcliffe only has a population of about 50,000.

I look forward to reading an article about a Logan bid next week and maybe a
http://www.logannrlbid.com/

---

Considering how open they are to operating with a relocated Sydney side and the fact that they are strong about community engagement (they're the first QLD mob to acknowledge the CCBears strengths in this regard). This could work out well for everyone.:p

juanfarkall

Coach
http://www.logannrlbid.com/

---

Considering how open they are to operating with a relocated Sydney side and the fact that they are strong about community engagement (they're the first QLD mob to acknowledge the CCBears strengths in this regard). This could work out well for everyone.:p

Have a look at the date of the meeting and try to find out what happened at the meeting and since.
A mate who lives in the area tried to book but did not recieve any acknowledgement or reply.
The Logan council was bought off by the Lions with free corporate boxes and dinners.
There is more chance of a second team at Cronulla than there is of a team based out of Logan.