What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins

Have a look at the date of the meeting and try to find out what happened at the meeting and since.
A mate who lives in the area tried to book but did not recieve any acknowledgement or reply.
The Logan council was bought off by the Lions with free corporate boxes and dinners.
There is more chance of a second team at Cronulla than there is of a team based out of Logan.

I realize the dates, I'm just showing smithie that a Logan NRL bid had already been in the pipeline, so he doesn't have to wait until the week to hear of news about them. Logan should be a feeder area to the GCTitans anyway.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Its a double edged sword as outlined.

On one hand, its great to have a team with history. On the other, you have a Port Adelaide scenario. You have no chance of attracting new fans to the club.

I'd like to see them get in on their merits and I'd say that for Perth, Central Coast and whoever else is keen.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Redcliffe are to the Brisbane comp as Manly were in the NSWRL.
I hate those bayside merkins not to mention the fact that areas like Clontarf are little more than Inala or Woodridge with jellyfish.

The real reason that a rail line connecting Redcliffe to civilisation will never be built is because it would then allow the ferals to enter Brisbane.

Sounds like Manly alright.

I'd say the Shire too, but the rail goes down there for some reason.

juanfarkall

Coach
I realize the dates, I'm just showing smithie that a Logan NRL bid had already been in the pipeline, so he doesn't have to wait until the week to hear of news about them. Logan should be a feeder area to the GCTitans anyway.

To call it a "bid" is a massive overstatement.

More like a couple of chancers who were looking to make an easy dollar with no real financial investment of their own.

From what I have seen and heard, at least the Central Coast mob, CQ, Perth and the Bummers have financial backing.

_Johnsy

Referee
Redcliffe Dolphins won't obtain admission. A second brissy side based out of Suncorp will.

Redcliffe Dolphins won't obtain admission. A second brissy side based out of Suncorp will.

Not by themselves any time soon, however they've stated that their open to relocation and the region could be left open for such a move. Geographically there is huge similarities to Cronulla/Manly, however both those clubs have to first focus on their existing areas to solidify their future. However if something happens and a relocation is on the cards, then Redcliffe could solve alot of problems for the NRL.

Broncomum

Juniors
The problem with bringing in the Dolphins or Jets in a way that is closely associated with their existing identity is the same that existed when we had to decide whether to bring the best of the local Brisbane teams into the Sydney comp instead of creating the Broncos. And it's the same that affects support for Port Adelaide in the AFL. That is that local fans have existing prejudices. Avoiding losing potential fans to those prejudices is precisely why a new team needs a so called "artificial" identity.

Sure, there are plenty of fans left from the old Brisbane comp who refused to support the Broncos. But a fan who stayed loyal to Wynnum Manly or to Brisbane Easts is hardly going to get behind the Dolphins or the Jets in the NRL. Those clubs are bitter rivals of their team. Only a new identity that is neutral to existing loyalties has any hope of unifying the large base of anti Bronco support behind it.

That's not to say it has to be the Bombers bid that wins or the team has to be based in Brisbane city instead of in the Western Corridor or on the Sunshine Coast. But any alignment with an existing local club needs to be very carefully managed and not highlighted such that it confines potential support to only fans of that local club (and non aligned fans).

Leigh

I disagree. I think that now the time is right to have an established club enter the comp rather than another short-lived attempt eg Crushers, Giants/Seagulls etc

The comp needs clubs with strong histories and an even stronger history of junior league being promoted. THAT is where most long-lived strong clubs have it all over the others. That club pride is what holds clubs together through the rough times & helps them become stronger.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I disagree. I think that now the time is right to have an established club enter the comp rather than another short-lived attempt eg Crushers, Giants/Seagulls etc

The comp needs clubs with strong histories and an even stronger history of junior league being promoted. THAT is where most long-lived strong clubs have it all over the others. That club pride is what holds clubs together through the rough times & helps them become stronger.

Those strong histories also include a great deal of animosity from supporters of other QRL clubs, severely restricting them from growing their supporter base.

Many Brisbanites would rather follow a Sydney club than bloody Redcliffe.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I'll confess I remain oblivious to the pre-Broncos rivalries that existed up here. I've never been able to ascertain which of the old BRL teams really hated each other. Personally, I follow Easts, but I've never develoepd a hatred for any of the other teams. I'm not surprised to find out there's a bit of Recliffe hate though. Their location (fairly isolated from the rest of the region), the fact they have a large and passionate supporter base, and the fact they've been a successful club, pretty much guarantees they'd be hated.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Haters gonna hate

haters-gonna-hate-monkey-crossed-le.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL doesn't need another struggling suburban based side. It needs a team that can draw 20K+ and has been mentioned the Redcliffe brand will instantly alienate it from a large % of RL supporters in the region. If the Moles inside info about the IC only being interested in regional branded clubs is true they are already dead in the water and no wonder they won't spend any money putting a bid together now.

taipan

Referee
Great to see someone talking sense. Are the sharks listening?

Why should they? Their main objective is to get the development up and running.Perhaps the question can be thrown at Penrith,Manly,Roosters,or even Raiders.
They will pay attention should the development gets knocked back.Until then ......

Brutus

Referee
well wynumn would have definitely showed some form with the roster they had in 87

Wynnum were average in 87. They didn't even make the grand final.

I'm all for an established Brisbane RL club being given the green light. Way better option than the Bombers.

Brisbane Dolphins, Northern Dolphins. Sounds great.

Brutus

Referee
I guess there's 2 trains of thought if Redcliffe get into the comp.

1. you get the strongest QLD Cup team (financially speaking) into the comp with a great original name (for Rugby League)

or

2. You alienate people in Brisbane who hate the Broncos AND hate the Dolphins.

I disagree that people would hate the Dolphins because of existing local prejudices.

I think many local fans have a siege mentality about the way the local comp has been ignored and treated in the post-Broncos era and would love nothing more than to support an NRL team that has a link to the local league.

Wynnum were always the team I liked, but that wouldn't stop me from supporting the Dolphins if they came in.

In saying all of that, my ideal team would be the Brisbane Diehards. How could the Diehards offend anyone?

Last edited:

juanfarkall

Coach
Until the Broncos f**ked the game in Brisbane, Redcliffe were just a shit mob who spent a lot of money for not much in the way of results.
It is most appropriate that their home ground is a rubbish tip.

Brutus

Referee
Until the Broncos f**ked the game in Brisbane, Redcliffe were just a shit mob who spent a lot of money for not much in the way of results.
It is most appropriate that their home ground is a rubbish tip.

It's light years ahead of any other local ground in Brisbane.

Brisbane league grounds were a joke. Brookvale Oval was Wembley Stadium compared to the shit the Brisbane clubs used to play on.

Langlands is a nice little ground now.

juanfarkall

Coach
Do some research.
Prior to playing at the tip, the Clontarf Shellgrit played at the old Redcliffe Showgrounds and their juniors played at Langdon Park.

Brutus

Referee
Do some research.
Prior to playing at the tip, the Clontarf Shellgrit played at the old Redcliffe Showgrounds and their juniors played at Langdon Park.

I'm aware of that.

Dolphin Oval (they moved there in the late 70's) was always the better of the local grounds.

You might as well call Suncorp Stadium "the graveyard".

Latest posts