What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

The Great Dane

First Grade
So why don't Adelaide, Darwin, Wellington or Christchurch have the same setup then?

Simply because they can't f**king afford it!

They don't have sweetheart sponsors like Cash Converters willing to throw stupid money at them to prop up an under 18s team like the NRLWA do, if they did, or they could make it financially feasible in some other way, then I'm sure that they'd love to field teams in every competition available to them, but unfortunately as things stand they can't make it financially feasible.

Now answer me: If the Pirates are a conspiracy by the NRL to get a Perth team into the NRL that they own and operate, why wouldn't they just drop them straight into the NRL instead of having millions of dollars invested into an under 18s team over almost a decade with no path to the NRL in sight?

They are the NRL, if they wanted to manufacture two clubs to join the Telstra Premiership tomorrow they have means and the power to do so. For them the S.G. Ball team would be a waste of time, energy, and money, if the goal was to get them into NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Simply because they can't f**king afford it!

They don't have sweetheart sponsors like Cash Converters willing to throw stupid money at them to prop up an under 18s team like the NRLWA do, if they did, or they could make it financially feasible in some other way, then I'm sure that they'd love to field teams in every competition available to them, but unfortunately as things stand they can't make it financially feasible.

Now answer me: If the Pirates are a conspiracy by the NRL to get a Perth team into the NRL that they own and operate, why wouldn't they just drop them straight into the NRL instead of having millions of dollars invested into an under 18s team over almost a decade with no path to the NRL in sight?

They are the NRL, if they wanted to manufacture two clubs to join the Telstra Premiership tomorrow they have means and the power to do so. For them the S.G. Ball team would be a waste of time, energy, and money, if the goal was to get them into NRL.

Quite simply because they are waiting for TV to foot the bill for the team to play in the NRL. It has been evident from comments coming out of NRL HQ over the last decade or so that expansion will come if TV pay for it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Quite simply because they are waiting for TV to foot the bill for the team to play in the NRL. It has been evident from comments coming out of NRL HQ over the last decade or so that expansion will come if TV pay for it.

If the NRL are waiting for TV to pay for expansion then why would they sink millions of dollars into an S.G. Ball team over a decade with no clear pathway to the NRL?

Why wouldn't they just wait until TV was ready to pay for expansion then drop the team straight into NRL, that way they wouldn't have to throw millions of dollars at an S.G. Ball team for a decade.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If the NRL are waiting for TV to pay for expansion then why would they sink millions of dollars into an S.G. Ball team over a decade with no clear pathway to the NRL?

Because they are going to be the Perth team when the time comes. They are preparing the way for Perth and sponsors are willing to be on board - it is quite obvious.

Why wouldn't they just wait until TV was ready to pay for expansion then drop the team straight into NRL, that way they wouldn't have to throw millions of dollars at an S.G. Ball team for a decade.

I'm not privy to the decision making behind it but there could be a number of reasons; grooming a generation of players, sorting out any logistical issues without having to go through those teething problems in the top flight, giving the people of Perth hope / indication that a moves are afoot to bring them back to the NRL....

Like I said, if the plan wasn't for them to be the Perth NRL team, they would bother existing.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Because they are going to be the Perth team when the time comes. They are preparing the way for Perth and sponsors are willing to be on board - it is quite obvious.
Except that sinking millions of dollars into an S.G. Ball team doesn't bring the NRL any closer to their goal of a Perth NRL team, it's just an expensive tangent from there actual goal.
I'm not privy to the decision making behind it but there could be a number of reasons; grooming a generation of players, sorting out any logistical issues without having to go through those teething problems in the top flight, giving the people of Perth hope / indication that a moves are afoot to bring them back to the NRL....
That is a monumentally f**king bad idea!

If anything changes in the proceeding decade and the NRL decide to go another direction with expansion then they've just set up the people of Perth for a big let down, and those let downs can have major impacts on the sport in the region, namely they lose trust in the organisation that's just promised them the world then let them down.
Like I said, if the plan wasn't for them to be the Perth NRL team, they would bother existing.

Because the NRL had nothing to do with their creation, and only funds them indirectly through grants, and the S.G. Ball teams existence is adjacent to the bid but not really a part of it.

The Pirates were a re-brand of the WARL's teams from the Reds, the bid, S.G. Ball team, and other representative teams, were all created prior to the NRL buying out the WARL, i.e. before the NRL had any direct influence over the WARL.

The S.G. Ball team was as created with the intention to create a more direct pathway to professionalism for juniors from WA, mainly with the goal of making it so that juniors that have a goal of making the NRL don't have to travel to the Eastern states at the age of 13-14 to have any chance of that happening. It also probably had a lot to do with the fact that the WARL had the means to create the S.G. Ball team and it is a good asset to have if you can afford it.

The bid was created by the WARL to, well, bid for an NRL license, because they want an NRL team in Perth and at the time nobody was actively bidding for a license in Perth, so they figured if not us then who, but in the last 8 years a lot has changed and it looks like there're going to be at least a couple of bids from Perth when the NRL chooses to expand (unless the bids join forces, which has be talked about a few times), so the Pirates aren't the only kids on the block any more and it's possible that they wont have the best bid on the block any more either.

Again to make it as clear as possible the bid and S.G. Ball team was created prior to the NRL buying out the WARL, so the Pirates S.G. Ball team can't be part of a grand conspiracy by the NRL to create a club in the NRL that they indirectly own and operate, because A. they had no influence over their creation, and B. if they wanted to create NRL clubs that they own and operate they don't need a conspiracy, they could do it tomorrow and nobody could stop them even if they wanted to stop them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Except that sinking millions of dollars into an S.G. Ball team doesn't bring the NRL any closer to their goal of a Perth NRL team, it's just an expensive tangent from there actual goal.

That is a monumentally f**king bad idea!

If anything changes in the proceeding decade and the NRL decide to go another direction with expansion then they've just set up the people of Perth for a big let down, and those let downs can have major impacts on the sport in the region, namely they lose trust in the organisation that's just promised them the world then let them down.

Because the NRL had nothing to do with their creation, and only funds them indirectly through grants, and the S.G. Ball teams existence is adjacent to the bid but not really a part of it.

The Pirates were a re-brand of the WARL's teams from the Reds, the bid, S.G. Ball team, and other representative teams, were all created prior to the NRL buying out the WARL, i.e. before the NRL had any direct influence over the WARL.

The S.G. Ball team was as created with the intention to create a more direct pathway to professionalism for juniors from WA, mainly with the goal of making it so that juniors that have a goal of making the NRL don't have to travel to the Eastern states at the age of 13-14 to have any chance of that happening. It also probably had a lot to do with the fact that the WARL had the means to create the S.G. Ball team and it is a good asset to have if you can afford it.

The bid was created by the WARL to, well, bid for an NRL license, because they want an NRL team in Perth and at the time nobody was actively bidding for a license in Perth, so they figured if not us then who, but in the last 8 years a lot has changed and it looks like there're going to be at least a couple of bids from Perth when the NRL chooses to expand (unless the bids join forces, which has be talked about a few times), so the Pirates aren't the only kids on the block any more and it's possible that they wont have the best bid on the block any more either.

Again to make it as clear as possible the bid and S.G. Ball team was created prior to the NRL buying out the WARL, so the Pirates S.G. Ball team can't be part of a grand conspiracy by the NRL to create a club in the NRL that they indirectly own and operate, because A. they had no influence over their creation, and B. if they wanted to create NRL clubs that they own and operate they don't need a conspiracy, they could do it tomorrow and nobody could stop them even if they wanted to stop them.

We are going around in circles. If there was no plan for the West Coast Pirates to be the Perth NRL team then they wouldn't be playing in the SG Ball Cup. It is a waste of money.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We are going around in circles. If there was no plan for the West Coast Pirates to be the Perth NRL team then they wouldn't be playing in the SG Ball Cup. It is a waste of money.

That would probably be true if it was the NRL that created and funded the S.G. Ball team, but they didn't create the team and they don't directly fund it either.

It's been explained to you multiple times now, but the S.G. Ball team was created by what is now known as the NRLWA before they were bought out by the NRL, with the intention to create a clearer pathway to the NRL for juniors from WA so they don't have to move at the east coast qt 13-15 years old to make that a possibility.

Just like with Redcliffe playing out of Suncorp you have created/heard a scenario and repeated it to yourself so many times that you've accepted it as fact without any actual evidence that it is actually fact.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That would probably be true if it was the NRL that created and funded the S.G. Ball team, but they didn't create the team and they don't directly fund it either.

It's been explained to you multiple times now, but the S.G. Ball team was created by what is now known as the NRLWA before they were bought out by the NRL, with the intention to create a clearer pathway to the NRL for juniors from WA so they don't have to move at the east coast qt 13-15 years old to make that a possibility.

Just like with Redcliffe playing out of Suncorp you have created/heard a scenario and repeated it to yourself so many times that you've accepted it as fact without any actual evidence that it is actually fact.

If the only reason for their continued existence was pathways, then the NRL would have shut them down when they took over NRLWA. There is no reason for their continued existence.

You seem to have taken a hard position on Redcliffe and Perth and closed your mind off to the obvious. I'll let you know when both are playing in the NRL ;)

mongoose

Coach
I noticed the Brisbane Roar are taking games to Dolphin Stadium next season. I guess if the Dolphins are looking for upgrades from the council then this could help them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the only reason for their continued existence was pathways, then the NRL would have shut them down when they took over NRLWA. There is no reason for their continued existence.

What is it with you and just asserting shit!

You realise that just because you say it confidently that it doesn't make it true, and this is becoming Stallion level shit, you say something that is untrue or unfalsifiable, it's shown to you that it's untrue, and you double down with some conspiratorial nonsense.

They aren't impacting the NRL's bottom line, they're providing a useful service to the game, creating a new pathway, etc, etc, so why would the NRL shut them down?

It's not the NRL's place, nor their job, to shut them down unless they aren't feasible anymore, and if they ever become unfeasible then you won't have to worry about the NRL shutting them down because the NRLWA will do that because they can't afford to support them by themselves.

You seem to have taken a hard position on Redcliffe and Perth and closed your mind off to the obvious. I'll let you know when both are playing in the NRL ;)

And what exactly is my "hard position"?

Because where I'm standing it seems to me that my hard position is that in a perfect world a Perth and Brisbane would get the next two clubs.

That the Pirates would be a perfectly good club to take up the Perth license, but that doesn't/shouldn't mean that they necessarily should get the license if a better option comes along, or that they are destine to pick up the license as part of some convoluted conspiracy.

My position on Brisbane and Redcliffe is a little more nuanced, but put simply Redcliffe (and the rest of the Brisbane bids for that matter) shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the NRL in their current forms because they're all deeply flawed ideas that would alienate large parts of their potential fan base before ever kicking a ball in anger.
However, in Redcliffe's case at least, if they are willing to make some concessions such as relocating to Suncorp full time and a totally new and more importantly neutral brand for their NRL team, then great, the license should be theirs tomorrow.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What is it with you and just asserting shit!

You realise that just because you say it confidently that it doesn't make it true, and this is becoming Stallion level shit, you say something that is untrue or unfalsifiable, it's shown to you that it's untrue, and you double down with some conspiratorial nonsense.

They aren't impacting the NRL's bottom line, they're providing a useful service to the game, creating a new pathway, etc, etc, so why would the NRL shut them down?

It's not the NRL's place, nor their job, to shut them down unless they aren't feasible anymore, and if they ever become unfeasible then you won't have to worry about the NRL shutting them down because the NRLWA will do that because they can't afford to support them by themselves.

And what exactly is my "hard position"?

Because where I'm standing it seems to me that my hard position is that in a perfect world a Perth and Brisbane would get the next two clubs.

That the Pirates would be a perfectly good club to take up the Perth license, but that doesn't/shouldn't mean that they necessarily should get the license if a better option comes along, or that they are destine to pick up the license as part of some convoluted conspiracy.

My position on Brisbane and Redcliffe is a little more nuanced, but put simply Redcliffe (and the rest of the Brisbane bids for that matter) shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the NRL in their current forms because they're all deeply flawed ideas that would alienate large parts of their potential fan base before ever kicking a ball in anger.
However, in Redcliffe's case at least, if they are willing to make some concessions such as relocating to Suncorp full time and a totally new and more importantly neutral brand for their NRL team, then great, the license should be theirs tomorrow.

Relax mate - it's all good. Let's just finally get a Brisbane and Perth team so the game can move forward. I think it's Redcliffe and Perth, you think better bids will come up. No worries - I'm sure if both are admitted and make a success of themselves we would both be happy to have been proven wrong.

flippikat

Bench
I saw a post on Facebook today of a rejected jersey concept for the Crushers that was maroon, dark green (darker than the green Souths use) and white.

That would actually work well IMO for a 2nd Brisbane team, and be pretty distinctive in the competition.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I saw a post on Facebook today of a rejected jersey concept for the Crushers that was maroon, dark green (darker than the green Souths use) and white.

That would actually work well IMO for a 2nd Brisbane team, and be pretty distinctive in the competition.
Got a link or able to upload a screenshot of that? Would be interesting to see.

flippikat

Bench
Got a link or able to upload a screenshot of that? Would be interesting to see.

https://pasteboard.co/IsacjsM.jpg
dm1SMBM

flippikat

Bench
Ha

Have to admit, I don’t like it. It looks pretty shit..... like slot of average park football teams kind of shit.

There's two decent jerseys in that design (a V, and a stripes design), but they've been frankensteined together into a mess. But I maintain that the colours (green, white, maroon) would be spot-on for a 2nd Brisbane team.

Maybe long term, Brisbane jets in green, white, maroon & Brisbane Dolphins in orange, white & teal (the original Gold Coast Dolphins bid colours)?

MugaB

Coach
So? U think people from Granville say they're from Parramatta?
Smarter folks in that area wouldn't, only coz no one who lives in the parra area follow the eels, i live in north parramatta, and i support the panthers, but Granville is right next door to parra, so yeah, most fans of parra would

Latest posts