What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

May have been mentioned before but I’d highly doubt that if they did get in they’d be called Redcliffe. Surely they’d go with a more geographically known name.

It’s not that I don’t who doesn’t know where Redcliffe is but I just can’t see them admitted into the NRL with anything that doesn’t have QLD or Brisbane in their name.

The Great Dane

First Grade
May have been mentioned before but I’d highly doubt that if they did get in they’d be called Redcliffe. Surely they’d go with a more geographically known name.

It’s not that I don’t who doesn’t know where Redcliffe is but I just can’t see them admitted into the NRL with anything that doesn’t have QLD or Brisbane in their name.

Apparently they are just going to be "the Dolphins".

As for whether the NRL team is called the Brisbane Dolphins, Queensland Dolphins or the Redcliffe Dolphins, Jones said that was immaterial.

"It will just be ‘the Dolphins’. I am an old Eastern Suburbs man but no-one calls them that anymore. They are just the Roosters," he said.

"Everyone knows we are from Redcliffe and that is where our training base will be initially.

"After Super League the Sydney clubs went away from marketing themselves after suburbs. You don’t hear Manly Warringah much anymore. They are the Sea Eagles, but we will be known as the Dolphins. That is our brand."

At the bold point he even points out why keeping the Dolphins brand is such a bad idea in his own spiel about why being called the Dolphins is a good idea.

BTW, people still do call Manly "Manly" and the Roosters "Easts" (one of their fans main chants, if you can call it a chant, is to yell out Easts), but it's no wonder that calling the Roosters "Easts" is slowly falling out of favour, they haven't gone by the name Eastern Suburbs Roosters for two decades now!

At the bold point he even points out why keeping the Dolphins brand is such a bad idea in his own spiel about why being called the Dolphins is a good idea.

BTW, people still do call Manly "Manly" and the Roosters "Easts" (one of their fans main chants, if you can call it a chant, is to yell out Easts), but it's no wonder that calling the Roosters "Easts" is slowly falling out of favour, they haven't gone by the name Eastern Suburbs Roosters for two decades now!

So they’re going for a South African Super Rugby team strategy eh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, But if they take on a debt making side at this point in time it could be 40 years, and 50 before there in a position to expand again. So yeah, there covering all bases and there covering them thoroughly. I cant see a problem with that!

a debt club won’t make any difference to the revenue gap lol. Selling a ninth game or using it launch their own digital streaming service will. We are talking revenue gap here, not profit/loss. Nrl has had two years of significant surplus, it could afford expansion with little risk now and use it to boost its revenue significantly. If afl ninth game is worth anything like the stated $52mill a year then you’d hope the same would be true for nrl?

tri_colours

Juniors
a debt club won’t make any difference to the revenue gap lol. Selling a ninth game or using it launch their own digital streaming service will. We are talking revenue gap here, not profit/loss. Nrl has had two years of significant surplus, it could afford expansion with little risk now and use it to boost its revenue significantly. If afl ninth game is worth anything like the stated $52mill a year then you’d hope the same would be true for nrl?

The next rights deal will be with the TV networks , but who knows what the future will hold after that. All the more reason why they have to get as much as they can out of the next one!

We were talking revenue this morning. Nothings changed.

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

Not in the NRL competition but if you look at all their memberships, merchandise and even social media tags it is all “Easts” or #eaststowin

The club still very much goes by Easts, in fact the NRL licence for the roosters is still under Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Club.

Pippen94

First Grade
He also doesn't understand that just because people recognise your brand doesn't mean that they like it or would be inclined to support it.

His study is also 15 years old, the landscape has changed a hell of a lot since then.
Nobody hates them. Qld cup not as big as you think. Even then team is only semi pro outfit from region in any sport & it's hard to imagine most of Morton bay hating them. I played against junior parra eels & there my team.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nobody hates them. Qld cup not as big as you think. Even then team is only semi pro outfit from region in any sport & it's hard to imagine most of Morton bay hating them. I played against junior parra eels & there my team.

LOL, you obviously don't know the first thing about footy outside of Sydney or anything about tribal attitudes and politics.