What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

Perth Red

Post Whore
Suburban Sydney grounds and "expansion" to Brisbane. The game has the visionary leader it deserves lol.

jim_57

Staff member
Suburban Sydney grounds and "expansion" to Brisbane. The game has the visionary leader it deserves lol.

It's like they picked him straight out of a shabby Western Sydney pub on a Thursday arvo 8 beers deep. Next he'll be looking to kick Melbourne and NZ out of "the New South Wales game".

siv

First Grade
Reading that article

After Redcliffe - you expect Ipswich or CC Bears are next cab off the rank

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Dolphins and CC Bears both added.

wouldn't be surprised at all. Theres good reason why after 100 years the code is still tiny, and its nothing to do with the quality of the game on the field.

Marlins

Juniors
wouldn't be surprised at all. Theres good reason why after 100 years the code is still tiny, and its nothing to do with the quality of the game on the field.
Too be fair though, those areas cover well over 500k people who don’t have a Nrl team in the areas. Both areas have more potential then 1/3 of the current Nrl teams. CCB’s addition would sew up north Sydney - Newcastle, which is bigger then Adelaide in terms of population and revenue. Any 2nd Brisbane team would have more potential then most current Nrl clubs and more chance of exceeding then any other option. Do you seriously think a Perth or Adelaide side can do better then a 2nd brissy side? It’s probably the best first option, Brisbane 2.

jim_57

Staff member
Too be fair though, those areas cover well over 500k people who don’t have a Nrl team in the areas. Both areas have more potential then 1/3 of the current Nrl teams. CCB’s addition would sew up north Sydney - Newcastle, which is bigger then Adelaide in terms of population and revenue. Any 2nd Brisbane team would have more potential then most current Nrl clubs and more chance of exceeding then any other option. Do you seriously think a Perth or Adelaide side can do better then a 2nd brissy side? It’s probably the best first option, Brisbane 2.

That's subjective, in my opinion Brisbane 2 could be huge but if they go with 'Redcliffe Dolphins' or something totally isolated like that then I think Perth would be a better option. Any 2nd Brisbane team should aim to represent a large part of Brisbane and surrounding areas, if Redcliffe have no ambition of expanding their reach they are not a good option. In 10 years once the novelty wears off they would be the Brisbane Manly.

Marlins

Juniors
That's subjective, in my opinion Brisbane 2 could be huge but if they go with 'Redcliffe Dolphins' or something totally isolated like that then I think Perth would be a better option. Any 2nd Brisbane team should aim to represent a large part of Brisbane and surrounding areas, if Redcliffe have no ambition of expanding their reach they are not a good option. In 10 years once the novelty wears off they would be the Brisbane Manly.
Redcliffe could be the new parramatta.

jim_57

Staff member
Redcliffe could be the new parramatta.

You'll have to excuse me for being sceptical. We have enough suburban teams we don't need to waste another NRL spot on an isolated suburb that isn't really Brisbane at all.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We can't get people in Sydney to cross two suburbs to attend a game in large numbers, so once the novelty effect wears off I highly doubt that we're going to get many people from North Sydney traveling up to the CC for games on a regular basis.

Besides that Bears fans are way more divided on the CC Bears then people make out, so even if the Bears came back on the CC you wouldn't really be getting the old Bears supporters back anyway, you'd be getting a relatively tiny group of hardcore NS Bears fans.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Yeah for a Redcliffe owned NRL club to have the best chance of meeting the full potential of a second Brisbane club they'd have to have a totally new brand and play all of their games out of a central stadium.

So even if the Dolphins own the club, the NRL club wouldn't be called the Dolphins, they wouldn't be geographically associated with Redcliffe, or wear Dolphins colours, and they'd play out of a stadium in Brisbane, probably Suncorp.

Any other way and it's just a really stupid idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Brisbane 2 has potential there is no doubt and in many ways to have our second largest RL city with only one team is nuts. I don't have any problem with him telling us his opinion that Brisbane should be next, its only his opinion after all, but to sht on Perth's hopes at the same time, that is what shows his insular myopic view of expansion of the game and in the process has managed to pss off the Govt and WA fans and damage the growing good will to RL that has been developing in WA over the last 5 years.

After investing over $10million in the NRL in the last 4 years, and being willing to cop flak from a staunch AFL community here in the process, how do you think the WA govt is feeling about his comments today?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
. CCB’s addition would sew up north Sydney - Newcastle, which is bigger then Adelaide in terms of population and revenue. 2.

not sure about that marlin.

nobody on the north shore gives a toss about RL. I can hardly see the self funded retirees from Killara or Mosman venturing to Gosford
Having played jnr footy in the area I can’t see it ever gaining a presence

typicalfan

Coach
Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 makes sense. Both markets deserve games every week of the season.

It would have been nice to go for both but maybe only one is feasible short term.

Reduce the season to 23 rounds, add two teams, that would still be more games than we have now.

tri_colours

Juniors

The game has teams in, about 12 of the biggest 15 cities in this country.
Brings in tens of $millions each year. What's the problem here? They obviously belief that the East coast and the Pacific have a lot more to offer than Perth or Adelaide do.

This game is based on tribalism. Having 10k at a ground the sits 80k is not a good look, in fact its the biggest negative in our game. I'm glad some people recognise this!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game has teams in, about 12 of the biggest 15 cities in this country.
Brings in tens of $millions each year. What's the problem here? They obviously belief that the East coast and the Pacific have a lot more to offer than Perth or Adelaide do.

This game is based on tribalism. Having 10k at a ground the sits 80k is not a good look, in fact its the biggest negative in our game. I'm glad some people recognise this!

Having only 10k at the game in any stadium is the real problem and shows up the myth of "tribalism"
The two best supported clubs in the NRL have no clubs to be tribal with in their cities, go figure.

tri_colours

Juniors
Having only 10k at the game in any stadium is the real problem and shows up the myth of "tribalism"
The two best supported clubs in the NRL have no clubs to be tribal with in their cities, go figure.

Well if that is the case, and I don't think it is. Introducing a second Brisbane team would mean that he would of solved one of those already. Wow, only in the job 5 minutes and he's already solving some of the games biggest problems. What a visionary. Wow, just wow!!!