What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redevelopment of Jubilee

possm

Coach
If your not in a coalition seat you don't get the chocolates.
I personally don't like politics being brought into our discussions. For years we had a PM as our No. 1 supporter and senior State Government politicians that were at the time Saints supporters. I'd say point the finger at our Board and the NRL. It is that level that we need support.

Whilst it is privately owned its still a community use facility.
Theyll sell it based on that to get the funding and they are in the right place at the right time etc.

Theyll get enough for something but not enough to make it really actually good.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Whilst it is privately owned its still a community use facility.
Theyll sell it based on that to get the funding and they are in the right place at the right time etc.

Theyll get enough for something but not enough to make it really actually good.
If they sell it, do the taxpayers get a cut of the profit?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I personally don't like politics being brought into our discussions. For years we had a PM as our No. 1 supporter and senior State Government politicians that were at the time Saints supporters. I'd say point the finger at our Board and the NRL. It is that level that we need support.
Well possm, you're talking politics right there. The Club board and NRL are steeped in their own politics, plus they frequently rub shoulders with government politicians - you mentioned a former PM.
Fact is, politics and sport are very much linked. Pollies use sport to get votes. For better or worse, athletes often get political.
Rugby League was founded on the rights of working men and born out of the class warfare that existed in Victorian times.
Historically, ancient sporting contests were used to satisfy the masses and avert war, and essentially distract the public from the failings of their leaders.
George Orwell once wrote, "Sport is war minus the shooting."
So I think that horse bolted a long time ago.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Not going to happen and whilst Greene was after it the 40mill price tag was flipped off by the Government with "what , for 6 games a year ? "
The other consideration is that WIN stadium is reportedly in a crook state- concrete cancer-the whole structure may need to be pulled down and replaced. Doubt Kogarah will get much of a look in while that's hanging over any State Government's head.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The other consideration is that WIN stadium is reportedly in a crook state- concrete cancer-the whole structure may need to be pulled down and replaced. Doubt Kogarah will get much of a look in while that's hanging over any State Government's head.
Reportedly where? I only ask because claims of 'concrete cancer' has some significance amongst Saints supporters.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Concrete Cancer - don’t tell me they are pulling that one out again. Dousty’s playbook has resurfaced…..

The original concrete cancer stand at Kogarah is still rock solid. Funny that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Concrete Cancer - don’t tell me they are pulling that one out again. Dousty’s playbook has resurfaced…..

The original concrete cancer stand at Kogarah is still rock solid. Funny that.
Over 20 years ago I was shown the 'concrete cancer' in the western stand at Kogarah. It was dirt on the pillar surface, needed a clean. As you say, it was rock solid. There was no engineer's report to back up the cancer claim, just some silly rumour started from within the JV.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Over 20 years ago I was shown the 'concrete cancer' in the western stand at Kogarah. It was dirt on the pillar surface, needed a clean. As you say, it was rock solid. There was no engineer's report to back up the cancer claim, just some silly rumour started from within the JV.
Yep, just like the resistance to extend the grandstand due to shadows on the school across the road. Another massive red herring from the Dragons resisting returning back to Kogarah. Standard Dragons incompetence.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep, just like the resistance to extend the grandstand due to shadows on the school across the road. Another massive red herring from the Dragons resisting returning back to Kogarah. Standard Dragons incompetence.
It was one of many silly obstacles. Lachlan McLean at R2K and Robert Stone at the Club turned it around.
The fight isn't over.

shiloh dc

Juniors
I have received glowing user reports from the recent modest redevelopment of the northern end of Brookvale Oval ( yes I have sad friends that support those worm eating sea birds). The seating is close to the field and the atmosphere is solid. If you recall Uncle Doust and another undertook a world stadia tour and we ended up with the Siberian Permafrost Stand behind the goals on the north-east end of Kogarah Oval. True Kogarah Council owns the land and wouldn't budge but given our history and importance to the local area - that issue should have been overcome a generation ago.
As other teams benefit both financially and by player retention due to ground development (mainly financed externally???), the Dragons will continue to suffer not just financially but also declining support in real terms. Kogarah Oval in its current shape is not good enough!

FlameThrower

Bench
I have received glowing user reports from the recent modest redevelopment of the northern end of Brookvale Oval ( yes I have sad friends that support those worm eating sea birds). The seating is close to the field and the atmosphere is solid. If you recall Uncle Doust and another undertook a world stadia tour and we ended up with the Siberian Permafrost Stand behind the goals on the north-east end of Kogarah Oval. True Kogarah Council owns the land and wouldn't budge but given our history and importance to the local area - that issue should have been overcome a generation ago.
As other teams benefit both financially and by player retention due to ground development (mainly financed externally???), the Dragons will continue to suffer not just financially but also declining support in real terms. Kogarah Oval in its current shape is not good enough!
Council , has a hair brained idea to convert the stadium to some multipurpose sporting and recreation centre including a pool . But they want the NSW government pay for it! They closed Carrs Park pool - as it had ‘structural issues’ and have been trying to get this Kogarah idea approved ever since…

Latest posts