What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
While there's life there's hope and the Titans certainly appear lively enough to jag a ticket in the finals, if I was religious I'd pray for a Cronulla/GC 'grand' final . . . a result of that would have the last two years seem irrelevant in comparison

Back to reality, the best I can hope for is to admit I misjudged Henry, maybe not having to butt heads with personalities is what the bloke needed all along. If the Titans had got their 10 Million Dollar Man the mild mannered coach could have reverted to Clark Kent instead of now appearing to be a Superman.

As it is now all the Titans need do is not be overwhelmed by success, select overdrive instead of neutral, make their games 80 minutes of the same . . . they need luck and I wish them the best kind

POPEYE

Coach
To retain any sort of sanity we have to imagine the State of Wank will have little effect on this round, or any of the other muddied rounds remaining. So let's follow the example from the World Champion of 'Wink Wink Nod Nod', Kevvie Walters, and pretend most believers are ignorant . . . just as betting agencies do

A virtually unaffected Panthers against a Souths with players in their best positions could result in a good contest. Inglis has never been anything other than a great Centre, Reynolds has to finish every game but none of that matters, all eyes will be on Ivan's boy in this game and beyond

I pity the Knights having to play the Storm slaying Dragons . . . crikey, that sounds back to front

If the Sharks that make the difference are jet lagged and Shaun runs to the gaps the Warriors may cause an upset. There's as much chance of that as there is betting agencies losing either way but stranger things have happened

What do you want first, the good news or the bad. If it's the good there has to be a loser in the Dogs/Broncos game, if it's the bad there has to be a winner . . . just kidding, I'll be on the edge of my seat throughout

The Titans are like selling tickets in a lottery and the Raiders are like waiting for a lottery to be drawn, if enough are sold the winner always comes off second best. I can't wait to see Agnatius play and Taylor was always going to be a better long term proposition than Sezer or DCE . . . don't anyone feel sorry for Henry

If it wasn't for The Wank I'd say you could bet responsibly on Melbourne because the game's not at Leichhardt. Teddy has a point to prove and JAC will have to wait for his date with AAMI . . . strange that

A five day turnaround for Cowboys' heroes should have the Seagles being had for breakfast

Last edited:

Unicorn

Juniors
To retain any sort of sanity we have to imagine the State of Wank will have little effect on this round, or any of the other muddied rounds remaining. So let's follow the example from the World Champion of 'Wink Wink Nod Nod', Kevvie Walters, and pretend most believers are ignorant . . . just as betting agencies do

A virtually unaffected Panthers against a Souths with players in their best positions could result in a good contest. Inglis has never been anything other than a great Centre, Reynolds has to finish every game but none of that matters, all eyes will be on Ivan's boy in this game and beyond

I pity the Knights having to play the Storm slaying Dragons . . . crikey, that sounds back to front

If the Sharks that make the difference are jet lagged and Shaun runs to the gaps the Warriors may cause an upset. There's as much chance of that as there is betting agencies losing either way but stranger things have happened

What do you want first, the good news or the bad. If it's the good there has to be a loser in the Dogs/Broncos game, if it's the bad there has to be a winner . . . just kidding, I'll be on the edge of my seat throughout

The Titans are like selling tickets in a lottery and the Raiders are like waiting for a lottery to be drawn, if enough are sold the winner always comes off second best. I can't wait to see Agnatius play and Taylor was always going to be a better long term proposition than Sezer or DCE . . . don't anyone feel sorry for Henry

If it wasn't for The Wank I'd say you could bet responsibly on Melbourne because the game's not at Leichhardt. Teddy has a point to prove and JAC will have to wait for his date with AAMI . . . strange that

A five day turnaround for Cowboys' heroes should have the Seagles being had for breakfast
I liked that, it reads well, keep up the good work.:)

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i may be getting the wrong messages here but im going to go out on a limb and say the old man isn't a fan of origin?

POPEYE

Coach
What I'm not a fan of is Immortals, Golden Point, Dally M's, the Shield and cup not recognised as separate equal entities and 'try/no try', I'm a big fan of Origin . . . I just detest the part of the year it is played

JamesRustle

First Grade
In keeping with your ethos, will you do a separate post of the SOO matchup?

We know popeye doesn't punt but has anyone been following his tipping guide?

POPEYE

Coach
I did watch Origin and I must say Gus is looking more and more like Jabba and this is the only time of year I see Fatty . . . he's got a head for radio hasn't he

I have a tipping guide?

POPEYE

Coach
'Lean' is an apt description of my posture ol' mate, my arthritic demeanor may be a result of self infliction but I can sympathise with Jack Bird. Most comments I make on anything are designed to create a reaction, not to be recorded for posterity

If you must have me say something about Origin all I can come up with is the team that has had the superior players in positions that matter for many years has won again. As has been proven time and again it needs a bus driver more than a coach and only a broken arm has provided an interval in proceedings

Like I've said many times the results could have been different if this now insidious 'series' was played after the cup was decided, when form and longevity matter. As it is now not only is RL in general being f**ked over but NSW have the hide to cry after they allow established Qld players to cruise through only half a season

I could best sum up Origin in the time frame it is played as 'Dearie f**king me'

POPEYE

Coach
I've never looked at the dedicated 'Origin' forums so I don't know any of the discussions, what I'm about to fill in time with is something that could have been to and froed ad nauseum. Kevin Walters might not be a surprise to people who know him well but look out to those that don't.

I pride myself on quickly realising I was mistaken thinking he was just along for the ride with the success he had on the field. The bloke is at least equal to Meninga as a coach which may be no great feat but I reckon Kevvy by association is the one responsible for perfecting Mal's demeanor.

Kevvy is a twin of Cool Hand Luke, it's impossible who know who benefited most by association, Bellamy, Meninga or Walters. One thing is certain, Kevvy is capable of borrowing the Harbour Bridge from Sydney and selling it to NSW.

Every time the bloke opens his mouth I take notes, he has a footy brain the equal of any and is an extraordinarily gifted mathematician of words. My bet is as Walters was praising Smith as the 'greatest ever leader' Cam was secretly pissing himself with laughter

POPEYE

Coach
We saw polar opposites last night, Souths overflowing with stupidity and Penrith almost f**king themselves with science. Hook's charter is not only to put the jigsaw of players together but to get them on the same board, a true embarrassment of riches had the Panthers trying to throw bullseyes instead of concentrating on triple 20's

The only 'brain' Souths had was Walker while Penrith had Cartwright, Cleary, Wallace, Moylan and Latu with an IQ above donkey, ably assisted by my favourite go-getter Peachey. All Penrith has to do is concentrate on cohesion, make opportunism a slave to enterprise

As it was we had Souths an unlucky bounce away from Penrith worn out by failing to co-ordinate their desires. Best news of the night was Mansour not going to the Dogs, he's the sort of player Penrith need to look for each set instead of riding the playmaker merry-go-round

Jason Maher

Immortal
Look out other teams if Penrith ever manage to nail that cohesion. So much raw talent in that side. And fun to watch, especially after the slog that is enduring my team bore for 80 minutes each week.

POPEYE

Coach
Having read little but a couple of headlines it's still not hard to imagine the media will do their darnedest to pull the public pud, make the most out of the current RL 'situation'.

I didn't watch the Dragons/Knights game but my missus did and she always cheers for the underdog, I could hear 'bullshit' reverberating through the joint most of the game. When I came in to watch the next game she was giggling over Benji being lauded as reincarnated. Sure enough, a headline this morning has him playing his way into a contract . . . against the Knights . . . that'll f**king do me

I wasn't surprised Flanno's mob were lethargic, they were as dull as the lighting on Shark Park, must be a new experience for Cronulla to be expected to beat everyone. Undoubtedly made harder when the Warriors supposedly play better during the Origin Menstruation but the scoreboard doesn't differentiate between good and bad

Must say the Warriors did surprise a little, they went well against a team that usually saves their best for last and there are signs of better things to come . . . a part time one man band may become an orchestra yet

As soon as the vibes told me the Dogs were in the mood I switched over to a recording of 'Rake', sometime this morning I must have a look at what Benny had to say, he can be even more sarcastic than Cleaver

POPEYE

Coach
I want Melbourne to win every game they play but I couldn't help feel for Jason Taylor during the first half, no way did he tell the Tigers to play the way they did. If they'd played the way he obviously reminded them to at the break for the entire game the Storm without Munster calling the defence would've had no chance

The sign of a great coach is the adjustments he makes at half time when things are going pear shaped, anyone who thinks the Tigers need Farah is a f**kwit, all they need is 50% of the ball and listen to the bloke with his head on the chopping block if they don't

lynx000

Juniors
Good read as usual Pops, I agree with your comments about the Tigers. I wish someone could figure out where my team's respective heads are at given their recent form.

POPEYE

Coach
Tigers still fighting their inner demons should have been easy meat for Melbourne, given the form the Storm are in when allowed to fairly demonstrate it, as a supporter I'm getting off lightly this year . . . so far. The State Wank has been far harder on Bennett and almost brought Green undone last night

In the scheme of things with Union making an ass of RL it is probably better the scoreboard/table gives the impression of a competitive NRL. People like to live in a fairytale world in the belief the Salary Cap Saviour and a Prematurely Ejaculated Origin will keep the boogeymen away

I'm comforted for the time being by the Sharks not being affected, if more of their gun players had of been enlisted in The Wank as most people wanted the comp could be even more depressing for the purists. As it is I'll join the fairytale brigade in the hope that Flanno meets Arthur in the cup final . . . wish I had a common sense wand to wave

POPEYE

Coach
Time to move on, do a Monty Python and look on the bright side, the Forum's reading more and more like the f**king Smellygraph and I'm one of the worst offenders. With the NRL mindset of treading water the only preventative against drowning let's see within reason what positive can be found amid the negative

Eastwood returning is a big plus for the Dogs, he is to them what SKD is to the Roosters imo, neither player is fashionable but they are still indispensable. The best Robbo's mob can hope for is a successful practice session for '17, they need to become 'Maloneyised' once more and the search is on.

The bookies say they will and Benny says they must, it would be more than the usual embarrassment if this group of Stormers win at Suncorp. Allegiance aside, no harm done if the Broncos win and no-one needs it more than the NRL atm

More badly needed optimism making the Warriors favourites to beat the Titans, most of us would rather be in Henry's shoes than McFadden's, no lay down misere in this game so with a little luck footy will be the winner

Crikey, Tigers/Panthers has to be match of the round, Fox the winner yet again. RL is drowning in 'structure', maybe these two coming together will showcase 'opportunism'. Beer for the boys, softy for the kids, wine for the ladies and chips'n'cheese to go with cheering for the unpredictable game we love and need

Sharks v Eels, my Holy Grail . . . if ever there was two more unlikely vying for Coach of The Year it was outside my 50+ surveillance. Good luck to both

It's a Knights' game so who do we declare the most likely to read about on Monday as the latest 'Resurrection' . . . who will join Benji. Is Austin more in need of it than Sezer, with the rest of Sticky's mob doing well one of the halves will have to rekindle a name for himself surely. No mention of the referees for this one . . . no negativity

Like the Roosters, practicing cohesion and stability should be game plan for the Rabbitohs, wishing for miracles totally counterproductive. Stranger things have happened but I can't imagine the Cowboys letting Barlow Park be the place

The Seagles/Dragons game should be the epitome of optimism for all concerned, both are showing signs of worthiness . . . another game hopefully observed from the edge of a seat

POPEYE

Coach
Trying to appear serious and positive at the same time is not easy, maybe a few home truths are in order. If anyone gives a shit what I think let me assure them I find it impossible to sit through a game of Rugby Union . . . it took me too long to shake the need for depression medication to take such a risk

Still, having said that I urge the NRL to think carefully about the difference between the archaic Union and the present Super rugby. It's the euphoria of the change that concerns me, not the need for RL to follow the exact same process but merely try and keep up with the times

Rugby League is not anything like a horse race, although the bookies would have us believe differently, clubs don't need to be handicapped to make the game appear fair. If there is a need to regiment the clubs let it be by what they offer, not by what they take

For any club to be allowed to participate in the NRL it must guarantee to produce enough new talent to be competitive, extraneous players necessary to complete teams added with no hindrance to other clubs. There must be a bag limit to inhibit stock piling but clubs be allowed to keep their limited catch by way of wages deserved.

Hiring adequate scouts/coaches should be the key to unlocking inequality, if highly prized players want to leave the haven a club created that club should be compensated. Super Rugby is all about playing the game where it does most good, RL needs to follow the same pathway but at the same time produce as many one-club players in the process as possible

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Seems the Titans are stepping up off the field as well as on, great to see all players are being sent the message that optimum performances will be the norm from now on. No more malingering or irresponsibility accepted.

Goes against reason that a satellite club, one that owes little to location or doesn't need to appease local talent, should have to kowtow to players not fully committed. If Perth are admitted to the NRL they would be wise to follow the Titans realisation that a franchise is just that, a destination for players with only one thing on their mind . . . excellence over survival

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure who is in line for ESL's Man Of steel but there is mention of Gidley and maybe even Sandow, someone said Stewart was a standout. If the title is apt I can't wait to see Zak in action, not because I take any notice of people in golden boots or imaginary English cyborgs but because even a fool knows we are badly in need of a distraction

I have a feeling, not quite a vibe, that Zak will do better than the latest Burgess or the now defunct Tomkins. Can't imagine him coming within a cooee of the great Gareth Ellis, who's still playing, but it would be good to see the bloke go gangbusters in NRL footy

I've said tongue-in-cheek that Semi's just a Winger and why the fuss when of course he's a character and RL is badly in need of character. What I don't understand is why do we want a bloke that's been turned into a human shemozzle, rightly or wrongly, by people who pretend to love RL

I suppose he could be as determined as SKD or Pearce, he may even be completely innocent of all innuendo, the fact remains however than unlike them he doesn't want to play the f**king game we want him to. Is it the child's pastime of pulling wings off flies or the desperation to keep a Sydney 'icon' like the Eels from dying that drives us to insanity

If the Eels where they stand are really necessary, like some other obsolete Sydneyites, all that has to be done is leave Arthur to solve the problem. Why is there a reason not to let the bloke try and emulate Bellamy, dismiss any player not on board the good ship Parramatta . . . if Melbourne can do it . . . wtf