What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds snare Raiders skipper

Wests is Best

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
mate do you know anything about this whole scenario? Im not angry he's leaving. Im angry he lied to us and cost us a chance to get another player for next season.

if he comes out and says "Im going to Union" I would have said "best of luck thanks for the memories" and he would have left a raiders legend. His reputation and status amongst the radiers club is forever tarnished

Fair enough. I do see your point now. sorry mate!

skeepe

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
Fair enough, if you can cop being stabbed in the back and blatantly lied to by a supposed club legend, thats your choice, but please don't blame the rest of us for being angry at him

God forbid my opinion be different from yours.

I do not believe he stabbed anybody in the back. He did what is best for him and good on him. Schif owes us nothing.

Snoop

Coach
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Given a chance at State level, he has never let his state down, but never seems to get recalled.

His one SoO game prior to this year was not his best. He was playing out of position but that is why he never got recalled until now.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
At least in Union he will be recognised as one of the games best fullbacks in the country and can play at a higher level constantly.

While playing on the wing.

skeepe said:

I do not believe he stabbed anybody in the back. He did what is best for him and good on him. Schif owes us nothing.

I know he owes us nothing, but anyone who comes out with a statement about thier commitment and passion for for the club, and then renigs 2 days later is not worthy of any respect.

As the old saying goes- A man is only as good as his word. Shif has been a great player and servant to the club, there is no denying that, but this is a display of a bloke with a distinct lack of class.

Chachi

Bench
skeepe said:

As you said - that's your opinion.

Yeah, good on him for stuffing our recruitment this year. What a champ.

Oh well, sh!t happens - I just refer to Laurie Daley's quote below. Bring on Zilly I say.

For those who aren't familiar with the siuation, this is a letter Shif wrote in the canberra times a week ago

There’s been a fair amount of talk this week about my commitment with the Raiders, and a lot of speculation about what my future is and where I’ll be playing next year.​
I like to think that I am the type of bloke who makes a decision quickly and does the best thing by his family, so I am pleased to announce that I will be remaining in Canberra next year.
The thought of leaving Canberra and heading back to Queensland was obviously something that I looked at very seriously, not only from a football perspective but also a family one.
It’s been ten years since I left my home north of the border, and it’s somewhere that my family will probably end up eventually when my playing career comes to an end.
Both mine and my wife Niomi’s families are from up that way, and returning to them with our young family has a lot of positives for us, in respects to raising our children and settling down long term.
The talk and speculation of me playing for the Reds in the Super 14 was just an option I had explored through my player manager, and as my manager he was only checking out suitable alternatives that would best suit the needs of me and my family.
Having said that I would like to reassure everyone here in Canberra that I genuinely want to stay and play for the Raiders, and that I am still 100 per cent committed to a team that I love playing for.
As I have been saying for some time now Canberra is a great place to live and play footy, and an even better place to raise a family and meet new people.
I have been here for six years now and I love the place, I love the people, the lifestyle and especially the Raiders, and captaining the side is something that I hold in a very high regard.
There is no better feeling than walking of Canberra Stadium with a cheering crowd after a win, and I have shown publicly this year after some of these victories how good that feeling is.
I just hope that everyone understands that the move to Queensland was only ever an option for me, and it would have taken a fair amount of persuading for me to head that way.
Obviously Rugby Union would be a huge challenge, and it’s something that a lot of Rugby League players have decided to take on over the past few years.
Seeing guys like Matt Rogers, Lote Tuquiri and now Ryan Cross make the move makes you wonder if you could also cross codes, and it is something that I would really have to think hard about before making a change.
In the same respects any move oversees to England would be an equally hard challenge and a huge lifestyle change for my family and my football, so it was only an outside chance that either change would happen.
[I]There was one constant that always remained in the equation though, and that was the support and encouragement I have received from people in and around the Raiders community.[/i]
I would like to thank those of you who have supported me over the last week, and in particular the people who took the time to write to me with there best wishes and support.
It’s the supporters like yourselves who make decisions like this a lot easier, and I just hope I can repay your faith in me with some good performances on the field for the rest of my time in the lime green.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Living in Brisbane v Canberra
2 year NRL career v 6 year RU one
Bigger salary in RU
Higher profile and opportunities for endorsement sponsorship
Likelihood of playing International v no chance of being a Kangaroo
Small fish in big pond v big fish in small pond

Nah, I can't understand why he'd go either!??

Perth Red said:
Bigger salary in RU

No need to lie about it to the club and fans and f**k up our recrutiment either

next year we are gong to be running around with a side worth about $2mill. Admittedly its also to do with poor management, but Shif has screwed us over royally

reptar

Juniors
1. I'd prefer Canberra over Brisbane - at least it's closer to Sydney.
2. 3 year offer, so dunno where you get 6 years from.
3. No, it's for less money
4. Yes, possibly.
5. Yes, possibly.
6. And?

I don't think anyone is begrudging him leaving, more the manner in which he's communicated this to the club and the club's fans.

Perth Red said:
Bigger salary in RU

Higher profile?

Name one high profile Union player who doesn't play any more.

Shifcofske was watched by more people in SOO 3 than any Union player has been seen in any two Union International games this year in Australia.

The Reds ratings are abysmal on Foxtel.

If he plays for the Wallabies, that will be exceptionally embarrassing for Rugby Union.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Living in Brisbane v Canberra - Fair point. Brisbane is far better.
2 year NRL career v 6 year RU one - I think that is over stating it a bit... He misses out on opportunities with RL after footy such as commentary ect.
Bigger salary in RU - Didn't someone say he signed for less???
Higher profile and opportunities for endorsement sponsorship - You are kidding aren't you? He won't be a blip on the endorsement side. Hardly a high profile footballer.
Likelihood of playing International v no chance of being a Kangaroo - Likelihood is probably nil on both. Face it, who is he is ahead of him in RU? Plenty of better RL converts than him for starters...
Small fish in big pond v big fish in small pond.... Hardly big fish in any pond. Remember he hasn't been playing in QLD as he has been in Canberra.

thickos

First Grade
Very disappointing news, I'm expecting the official announcement is coming later this afternoon.

Some Raiders fans may consider him a turncoat but while I'm gutted all I can say is thank you Schif for being such a shining light during the worst period in the Raiders history over the past few years, the passion you played with and for all the memories you leave us with. A true champion of the Raiders.

Mr Saab

Referee
I can understand Waltzing Meningas stance on this. Think about a star player at your own club who come out with such a letter to the local paper and then some weeks later it is shown that it was a waste of ink to print it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Good decision in my opinion.
Such a good consistant footballer who is so underated. He is Hidden behind a mortifying breed of talented fullbacks leading the new generation. Given a chance at State level, he has never let his state down, but never seems to get recalled.

At least in Union he will be recognised as one of the games best fullbacks in the country and can play at a higher level constantly.

dribble dribble

he wont play fullback with Larkam in the team,

he'll be an outside back