What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds target Bulldogs star

aussies1st

Staff member
QUEENSLAND has called on the Australian Rugby Union to help the Reds poach rugby league Test centre Willie Tonga.

The Reds have made contact with leading ARU figures - including Wallabies coach John Connolly - wanting a guaranteed contract top-up if the Bulldogs star agrees to switch codes next season.

"We've got to work together on this," Queensland Rugby Union chief executive Theo Psaros told The Daily Telegraph.

"All four provinces (in Super 14) need to be strong and if we identify opportunities to boost our squad, then that will also enhance the Wallabies."

Negotiations involving the Reds and Tonga's management are still in their infancy after The Daily Telegraph revealed last week that Queensland coach in waiting Eddie Jones was keen to pursue the 22 year old.

But talks will be stepped up with a face-to-face meeting planned this month between Tonga's agent and Jones, who is in the UK coaching the London-based Saracens club but will take over the Reds after this season.

Several high-profile NRL players, including Broncos full back Karmichael Hunt, have confirmed they will listen to rugby union offers.

But Tsaros said Tonga was the No.1 priority for the Reds.

"We haven't progressed with Hunt because my belief is that he's a Bronco through and through," said Psaros.

"But Tonga, and he has played rugby before, is of interest to us."

The ARU has already opened discussions with the world's best rugby league centre Mark Gasnier - through a meeting with Connolly and recruitment officer Michael O'Connor.

But while the parent body is driving those negotiations the Reds have taken the active role in pursuing Tonga.

Queensland could offer him up to $150,000 a season to play Super 14. An ARU top-up would then be required to carry the agreement towards $300,000.

Test incentives would give Tonga a chance to make more than $400,000 - double his Bulldogs salary.

Potential raids on the NRL will also increase with Western Force bosses last night telling The Daily Telegraph they are targeting rugby league in a bid to boost the strike power of their rookie backline.

Australia's newest franchise has unravelled after losing playmaker Lachlan MacKay and centre Junior Pelesasa in the first fortnight of Super 14.

Force chief executive Peter O'Meara revealed the Perth province has identified several NRL players as likely converts after meeting with coach John Mitchell to discuss a recruitment strategy.

New South Wales and the Brumbies have a potent mix of backline matchwinners, but the Force is armed with popguns.

"We haven't made any formal approaches yet," O'Meara said. "But we've pencilled in a few names that we're interested in and we're sounding out player managers. We'll see what they come back with."

The Daily Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18645946-5002381,00.html

I can't see how the Bulldogs will be able to compete with the money. Double that of what the Dogs are paying him! Also seems like the Force will be doing some raiding by the looks of the article.

ucantseeme

Juniors
willie tonga is a quality player but he doesnt have the same marquee value that Gasnier or Johns have so i am wondering why they would throw that much at an NRL player when him switching is unlikely to dominate back pages or be lead bulletin on the news

i suppose next week it will a different player again, last week Gaz, this week Tonga, next week ????

ibeme

First Grade
This is where we need some league journos to come out and absolutely trash RU for their lack of depth and loyalty to up and coming RU players.

poojar

Juniors
hahaha i think its embarrassing for Union to need to constantly poach rugby league players, just shows how strong and world class our club competition is compared to their provincial/state competition.

They could have a backline including Wally Lewis, Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands, Andrew Johns and Jesus Christ, but it wouldn't matter a pinch of poop cause their forward pack is sh*te...

Thats the issue with Australian union...the backs here are good enough, but the fat blokes are nowhere near standard

Dakink

Bench
Seems to me like the ARU are setting themselves up for a fall. They are so top heavy - and this is only making it worse.What happens if their budget drops? Or the NRL's ability to pay their players increases? Short term fix but potentially long term harm..

Special K

Coach
Tonga could make near 400k in league if he whore himself enough and made the rep teams also... I'm shocked he is on so little right now!

bazza

Immortal
Special K said:
Tonga could make near 400k in league if he whore himself enough and made the rep teams also... I'm shocked he is on so little right now!

he was playing reserve grade at parramatta when the dogs signed him - so they wouldn't have had to pay him too much to get him

Estoboy

Juniors
Special K said:

I don't even want to think about what that involves

Paley

Juniors
ibeme said:
This is where we need some league journos to come out and absolutely trash RU for their lack of depth and loyalty to up and coming RU players.

Is that likely? They seem quite a meek bunch.

ucantseeme

Juniors
maybe the ARU realises that at the grassroots level most kids are gonna drift towards NRL or AFL for footy so thats why they're stcking their top deck so heavily. Maybe they've got the idea to get big name players from wherever they can to generate more publicity & make thier comp seem more 'elite'. Kinda like when sydney fc signed that japanese superstar to play 3 games for them i spose...

Sharkie™

Juniors
pretty pathetic, the rah rah always go on about how australian rugby talent is first class and then they go and contridict themselves but not putting their money into the development of their own juniors and prefer to poach established league stars.

if i was a onion junior comming through the ranks i would switch to league because u have more chance of playing professional union comming through the ranks of league

Calixte

First Grade
All this talk of poaching confirms how low the standard of the union Super8 handycam series really is...

And also how little there is to fill rugby union columns in newspapers.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i hope he stays but if he goes I dont give a f**k anymore. league has always produced quality players and if he wants to leave someone will take his place.

is tonga managed by the same person who manages mini? i got the feeling their manager is the one stirring the pot

Special K

Coach
bazza said:
he was playing reserve grade at parramatta when the dogs signed him - so they wouldn't have had to pay him too much to get him
Yeah but he would of got a upgrade and didn't he re-sign for 2006 as his old contract only went to the end of 2005?

Tonga if fit is one of the very best centres in the game. I think a 350k contract wouldn't be out of the question under the current salary cap(if he was willing to leave the dogs and play for a mid to low table team. Hey it would be better then getting flogged each week for the reds) let alone the new one. Plus factor in rep game payments etc... I think Union would have to cough up more then 400k to get him

legend

Coach
He hasn't shown much in the last two games and I don't see him as a major loss to be honest. Karmichael Hunt falls into the same category.

The only real threat is Minichiello.

Where is Greg Wolfgramm these days and I think I saw Bulgarelli's name floating about somewhere the other day.