What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds target Bulldogs star

Calixte

First Grade
Bring Back the Spliff said:
And you're saying Union DOESN'T do this???

Even before they 'went professional' in 1996 - let me tell you - there were kids' families being paid - and paid not inconsequential sums either - under the guise of 'academic scholarships' to send their kids to high profile Union schools and to shun Rugby League.

Some of these kids barely had to even attend a lesson - as long as they turned out for the XV during the week and especially on the weekend in the big tournaments - the teacheers didn't hassle them to learn or get good marks - it basically didn't matter what else they did - as long as they were producing the goods on the Rugby paddock!

I've seen it happen sooooo many times when I was at school - So don't try and tell me about League 'being prepared to pay players at a young age'!

You're living in fairy floss land, if you think that doesn't cut both ways - and cut DEEP!

'Amateur game' up to 1996 my ARSE!!! :lol: - in name only.

But in the world of Woods, there was no such thing as shamateurism in union pre- 1996.

Or the aforementioned blocking of rugby league in private schools.

Or the pilfering of rugby league juniors to such schools.

To live in such ignorant bliss...

:lol:

Thomas

First Grade
Calixte said:
All it does is highlight the paucity of the union competition.

No, all it is highlighting right now is that RU is a tool for player managers to get more $$$ out of their clients. I still doubt Gasnier will switch.

Calixte said:
Every article in the union sections of the papers deals with potential league converts or someone new pushing for non-Australian players to be allowed to play in the Super8. :lol:

Well, I've got the Courier Mail right here in front of me. Lets have a look shall we.

In the Union section:
S14 Mid season report
Wallaby Coach talks about George Gregan
Article about Campese helping the Springboks
The Cheetahs tactics
Article about Ben Tune and new Reds winger Caleb Brown
Brisbane Club Comp preview
Wendell Sailors column which mentions Gasnier.

and in the League section.
Back Page article entitled "Give up the Jersey" where retired Kangaroos are calling for Gasnier to be dumped from the Kangaroos if he switches codes.

russ13

First Grade
Why not look at Thursday's paper Thomas.

On Thursday's Courier-Mail the back page had a photo of Michael DeVere in a Reds jersey saying something about him being a possible union recruit.

The RU Section has a big photo of Willy Tonga with the major story about him titled 'Reds want ARU to help poach Tonga.' The article & photo took up over three-quarters of the page.

The only other union article on the page is about someone with a stomach bug in SA. It was the minor story of the day despite the Reds having a game in the next couple of days.

Thomas

First Grade
Yes, and the Mick Devere article (written by a RL journo) also had him in a Titans and a Broncos jersey....failed to mention that, didn't you Rusty.

Calixte

First Grade
Well Thomas I suggest you review the following over the last 1.5 - 2 weeks and then come back to us:-

Daily Telegraph
Sydney Morning Herald
Courier Mail
Gold Coast Bulletin
Australian

For a sport that plainly isn't rugby league, there is piles of material devoted to it in the union sections.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Thomas

First Grade
Thanks.

I'll be expecting copies of each paper on my desk by 3pm. Thanks again.

:)

Calixte

First Grade
Thomas said:
Thanks.

Sorry I assumed you'd already read them, given the alacrity with which you claimed my post was wrong.

Come back again next week when you've done your reading.

:lol:

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:
Thanks.

Dont be so demanding Thomas:D ,check them out on the web.NRL is mentioned so monotonously in union stories, in the Sydney papers you wonder whether they take the s14 seriously.

A little off the subject
Every day this week up to and including thursday ,the 2 union buffoons
carlton and fitzsimons, on radio 2UE ,bagged or had a dig at rugby league during the sport's segment.

Thomas

First Grade
taipan said:
Dont be so demanding Thomas:D ,

Hey, I just got promoted at work (don't ask me how) and being demanding is one of my KPI's.

Now, where's my cup of tea?

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:
Hey, I just got promoted at work (don't ask me how) and being demanding is one of my KPI's.

Now, where's my cup of tea?

How the hell did you get promoted either::evil:

1) the CEO is a union devotee
2) there was plenty of folding stuff in the brown paper bag ,handed over to CEO(Qld white shoe brigade style ;-) )
3) He is a former old boy of the Southport school
4) Or maybe just maybe ;you are foreman material-good luck mate:D

Sheesh we will now have Woods69 err 99,saying this proves union people are the highest achievers in the known universe.