What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Bump...

Caught a bit of Payten's presser, all about how Val's wasn't a hip drop and Klemmer's was.

Wasn't watching closely when Val was binned but saw enough to, " Well, that's the rule these days..." Heard K's mentioned but didn't see it or a replay.

Watching them as TP spoke, I can see his point. V was at full stretch and couldn't do much else where K's was much more a classic hip drop the rule is meant for.

I can live with V being binned but K certainly should have. Bad miss by the bunker imo. Thoughts?

And this is not in any way to excuse the Cowboys defence, we've been poor all season and again last night. TBF to TP, maybe he said that in the part I didn't see, I bloody hope so anyway.
Agree with the assessment. We are all searching for answers but more often than not it is about the team leading being penalised for something and the team trailing getting away with it.

Reactions: Vee
On a technical note, and I was at game and havent rewatched, but why was Latrell sin binned last night and the para player not? Looks like ref explained reasoning. Can anyone clarify?

skeepe

Immortal
Agree with the assessment. We are all searching for answers but more often than not it is about the team leading being penalised for something and the team trailing getting away with it.
Unless you’re the Roosters, then it’s penalty tries all day.

Vee

First Grade
Kasey introduced one I hadn't seen before when she tried to give the Drongos the BOD by scrutinising whether the ball had left the hand before the defence touched it.

She eventually settled for the attacker being in the action of passing, which is the interpretation I always applied with the defence having a bit each way.

Any current refs on here? Has the interpretation changed recently?

If so, it sounds like the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

Vee

First Grade
46th minute. Wah held by Hammer and looked to unload, played at by a dolphin and ruled a 2 man strip.

Loose carry?

Valheru

Coach
Unless you’re the Roosters, then it’s penalty tries all day.
Raiders got every advantage possible from the bunker yesterday

First they give a mercy penalty try so as to not have the raiders down a player, then they ignore an obvious knock on in the raiders first try and then they don't even bother reviewing a line drop out call which apparently they review all of them forcing us to challenge it.

gerg

Juniors
Kasey introduced one I hadn't seen before when she tried to give the Drongos the BOD by scrutinising whether the ball had left the hand before the defence touched it.

She eventually settled for the attacker being in the action of passing, which is the interpretation I always applied with the defence having a bit each way.

Any current refs on here? Has the interpretation changed recently?

If so, it sounds like the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

I liked the Brian Kelly one.

Kelly rises to his feet to play the ball but the bunker determines that he commences the 'action' of playing the ball before getting up.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
46th minute. Wah held by Hammer and looked to unload, played at by a dolphin and ruled a 2 man strip.

Loose carry?

I don’t think there’s ever been a rule that explicitly allows a two man strip, “loose carry” just means that the defender gets BOTD if they knock the ball out making a genuine tackle (including trying to wrap up the ball). In this case it was obviously a deliberate strip. I do agree though that in a lot of cases defenders seem to get away with obvious strips just because the attacking player dared to even think about offloading.

tbh though I initially thought it was going to be ruled as a Dolphins knock on which I also could’ve understood.

I don’t think there’s ever been a rule that explicitly allows a two man strip, “loose carry” just means that the defender gets BOTD if they knock the ball out making a genuine tackle (including trying to wrap up the ball). In this case it was obviously a deliberate strip. I do agree though that in a lot of cases defenders seem to get away with obvious strips just because the attacking player dared to even think about offloading.

tbh though I initially thought it was going to be ruled as a Dolphins knock on which I also could’ve understood.

In relation to stealing the ball:

The following is from the NRL's interpretations guide (source: https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl_laws_interpretations_2020.pdf) -

1716787495326.png
This is from the actual Laws of the Game (source: https://www.playrugbyleague.com/media/14513/nrl-international-rules-book-2023_web-version-1.pdf) -

1716787603673.png

1716787647562.png

Hope that clarifies it for you :)

Sime_11

Juniors
speaking of the hip drop - i saw a clip of Sattler's effort on Byrne in the 03 GF again for the millionth time.

would the Bunker today consider that a hip drop tackle? you'd think commonsense says hell no, but some of the decisions made these days make you wonder

Vee

First Grade
It might be the beer but was I the only one who thought Lemuelu touched the ball before averillo's try and therefore a knock-on?

skeepe

Immortal
It might be the beer but was I the only one who thought Lemuelu touched the ball before averillo's try and therefore a knock-on?
I thought he hit it out of Mariota’s hands and it went forward. But I might be biased.

gerg

Juniors
I don't think he touched but it was clear as day a forward pass. Bunker should be able to call on it when it's that obvious. And agree with Skeepe, it was knocked out of Mariotas hands ... directly, so knock on there.

Vee

First Grade
It's important to acknowledge the good calls. Sutton denying joey's try live was terrific.

Vee

First Grade
Maybe I'm just a fatalist maybe I'm looking for any excuse to bag our D, but live, I just shook my head and muttered, " not again..."

Vee

First Grade
48m. I don't envy the bunker's job sometimes, it's amazing the calls it can throw up. You can argue whether Flanagans arm made it to the line but imo the tackle was not complete and the reasoning given was specious.

Meth

Staff member
Pretty bizarre decision to bin Harris-Tavita and Townsend tonight. Ref had 7/8 of a good game, but lost his shit for 10 mad minutes.

Latest posts