What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Vee

First Grade
Can someone tell me why refs call held when the ball carrier is being pushed backwards. The way I see it, if there's not halt in the momentum or the ball carrier is lifted off the ground then as far as I'm concerned he can be pushed backwards from try line to try line. Why is this happening, is there a rule change or an unwritten law in place?
In most cases the runner has submitted and the tackle is over.

Nutz

Bench
In most cases the runner has submitted and the tackle is over.
No i mean the runner has run into the d and is driven back and there is still momentum. In my day you couldn't be picked up and carried and providing the player isn't as you said laying on the groung submitting then you could keep driving him backwards. It happened a few times tonight in the South's game.

gerg

Juniors
No i mean the runner has run into the d and is driven back and there is still momentum. In my day you couldn't be picked up and carried and providing the player isn't as you said laying on the groung submitting then you could keep driving him backwards. It happened a few times tonight in the South's game.

Anything that separates or distinguishes us from that other game is a good thing. We don't want rolling mauls.

Vic Mackey

Referee
21st min, cobbo drops it cold, ruled a knock-on. It was back, not even flat.

i still for the life of me dont understand how the refs rule this a knock on literally every single time, then gave that one random 'knocked back' to tommy talau v panthers for a try

gerg

Juniors
so your saying as soon as he's driven backwards the ref should call held... interesting
If that's what you think I said in that sentence I cannot help you mate. Do you really want our game to descend to 13 blokes grabbing a winger and attempting to push him down the field for 60 metres, and in response the other side pushing back with their 12 players?

gerg

Juniors
argh don't worry about it.
You're giving the coaches in our game far too much 'benefit of the doubt'. You don't think there's a few coaches that would turn it into a regular tactic and it will end up a fiasco because it would be successful?

Latest posts