What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Canard

Immortal
Kasey Badger continues to prove to be the worst bunker offical in the game with RTS's binning.

May even be worse than the Townsend/Harris Tavita binnings
In the same game there was two clear hip drop tackles (from both sides) that resulted in only a penalty?

Meth

Staff member
In the same game there was two clear hip drop tackles (from both sides) that resulted in only a penalty?

tbh, Martin's 'hip drop' wasn't really a classic hip drop. I think the right call there was to penalise it and then put it on report.

I actually didn't see the Titans one more than once.

Ford's no-try was a try last week. I'm more than comfortable with it being a no-try, but it's consistency you are after. So, I wouldn't hang that on Badger as much as the referees generally needing to get on the same page.

Meth

Staff member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/06/24...tackles-were-trying-to-discourage---annesley/

Thank God for Annesley. He's come out and explained that it was only by the grace of God that Jayden Campbell wasn't paralysed and Kasey Badger was characteristically astute and completely correct in her bunker deliberations.

Its so weird because it basically just looked like a good tackle and that Badger had f**ked up another one.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
"When you break it down and look at it slowly and what could have potentially happened in that tackle had things gone even slightly more awry, you could've had a serious outcome. That's why we take action on this tackle because we don't want players lifted."

Pick the bones out of that, Methy boy.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Feels like Annesley just defends every decision now, publicly this is probably a good thing for referees. However it kinda makes these Monday break downs pointless.

Apey

Staff member
I tend to agree Annesley on a lot of the try rulings but there's no way to dress the RTS sin-bin up as anything but a joke.

"what could have potentially happened in that tackle had things gone even slightly more awry,"

So we're going to start sin-binning any swinging arms that miss?

Frailty

First Grade
I agree with Annesley... To a point.

The tackle technique was poor. He makes contact, has a hand between the legs, lifts, and turns all in separate motions. It's a textbook technique for a dangerous lifting tackle.

Campbell shows self preservation by curling, which is why it didn't look as bad as it was.

That being said, I thought it was penalty sufficient. The sin-bin should reserved for where players end up in actual dangerous positions, and send offs for instances where head is first point of contact in the ground, or the player is driven into the ground in a dangerous position.

Meth

Staff member
That being said, I thought it was penalty sufficient. The sin-bin should reserved for where players end up in actual dangerous positions, and send offs for instances where head is first point of contact in the ground, or the player is driven into the ground in a dangerous position.

Agree. Definitely could have lived with a penalty.

Diesel

Referee
Kasey seems to be getting a free ride compared to others. Wherever the influence she gets is coming from, it’s detrimental to the game

Valheru

Coach
I agree with Annesley... To a point.

The tackle technique was poor. He makes contact, has a hand between the legs, lifts, and turns all in separate motions. It's a textbook technique for a dangerous lifting tackle.

Campbell shows self preservation by curling, which is why it didn't look as bad as it was.

It's a penalty only

They gave the same punishment to RTS that Tuilagi got for his tackle on Collins which is ludicrous. One got a fine from the MRC and the other 5 weeks.

The message Annesley is sending loud and clear is that Badger is exempt from criticism and he will back any decision she makes.

Frailty

First Grade
It's a penalty only

They gave the same punishment to RTS that Tuilagi got for his tackle on Collins which is ludicrous. One got a fine from the MRC and the other 5 weeks.

The message Annesley is sending loud and clear is that Badger is exempt from criticism and he will back any decision she makes.
Is it possible that Badger is simply following the directives from the referees' boss?

I have a lot of issues with how the referees are managed and the Match Review system, but I struggle to blame the officials themselves when the blame lays with management. I have known a number of referees that went through the system as strong referees only to come to NSW Cup and NRL with inconsistent and poor decisions. They didn't suddenly lose their abilities - it's the direction and coaching.