What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Valheru

Coach
Is it possible that Badger is simply following the directives from the referees' boss?

I have a lot of issues with how the referees are managed and the Match Review system, but I struggle to blame the officials themselves when the blame lays with management. I have known a number of referees that went through the system as strong referees only to come to NSW Cup and NRL with inconsistent and poor decisions. They didn't suddenly lose their abilities - it's the direction and coaching.
It's possible but they have shown a willingness to 'punish' other refs before (Ashley Klein after the semi last year for example) or at least admit that they got a decision wrong.

Kasey Badger seems impervious to both those things.

yobbo84

Coach
I feel like dangerous throws are about the easiest thing to distinguish/rank too....

Lift and tip past the horizontal = penalty
Land on back = penalty only
Land on shoulder = sin bin
Land on head/neck = send off

Done

Maximus

Coach
It's possible but they have shown a willingness to 'punish' other refs before (Ashley Klein after the semi last year for example) or at least admit that they got a decision wrong.

Kasey Badger seems impervious to both those things.

Klown was in the bunker for the prelim and grand final last year. If that's his punishment, it is completely consistent with Badger.

Is it possible that Badger is simply following the directives from the referees' boss?

I have a lot of issues with how the referees are managed and the Match Review system, but I struggle to blame the officials themselves when the blame lays with management. I have known a number of referees that went through the system as strong referees only to come to NSW Cup and NRL with inconsistent and poor decisions. They didn't suddenly lose their abilities - it's the direction and coaching.

Also, even at NRL level, appointments can be somewhat political. If you are off side with the powers that be, you will often get the worst games. I've seen talented referees get the worst games rep[ewatedy, whilst no talent hacks who are liked by the powers that be get the plumb appointments. It does happen.

Meth

Staff member
Well, either

a) Badger is following the referees directive and Atkins is not

b) Atkins is following the referees directive and Badger is not

c) the officiating is a shit show

personally, I’m going with c.

And Badger sucks, particularly in the bunker.

Meth

Staff member
Pretty bizarre decision to bin Harris-Tavita and Townsend tonight. Ref had 7/8 of a good game, but lost his shit for 10 mad minutes.

On the same night that the officials demonstrated a total inability to be consistent (with the Liam Martin tackle merely penalised for the same tackle that RTS was binned for), they also showed some consistency in sin binning Liam Martin for rubbing Sua's head. Consistently ridiculous, but consistent none the less.

Valheru

Coach
Well, either

a) Badger is following the referees directive and Atkins is not

b) Atkins is following the referees directive and Badger is not

c) the officiating is a shit show

personally, I’m going with c.

And Badger sucks, particularly in the bunker.
Yep

It never takes long for an official to contradict what Annesley says.

Either Badger is wrong or Atkins is wrong.

skeepe

Immortal
One of the most egregious bunker errors last night when Grant Atkins overturned the lost ball call against Dylan Edwards.

Klein told Atkins that he had called "Surrender", and that he believed Edwards was milking. Atkins ignored all that and awarded a penalty anyway. Absolutely, 100% incorrect.

Valheru

Coach
One of the most egregious bunker errors last night when Grant Atkins overturned the lost ball call against Dylan Edwards.

Klein told Atkins that he had called "Surrender", and that he believed Edwards was milking. Atkins ignored all that and awarded a penalty anyway. Absolutely, 100% incorrect.
Agreed

I was just about to hit the post button in the game day thread too.

Very disappointing.

kurt faulk

Coach
Agreed

I was just about to hit the post button in the game day thread too.

Very disappointing.

I don't understand. He was on his feet playing the ball and the defender turned him around. What does it matter if surrender was called. He was on his feet.

I thought the surrender call allows the defenders to lie on the player for a couple of more seconds. Didn't think it allowed them to stop him from playing the ball when he's on his feet.

Maximus

Coach

Atkins was correct. Klown is a blind moron who was trying to manage qld back into the game.

Maximus

Coach
I don't understand. He was on his feet playing the ball and the defender turned him around. What does it matter if surrender was called. He was on his feet.

I thought the surrender call allows the defenders to lie on the player for a couple of more seconds. Didn't think it allowed them to stop him from playing the ball when he's on his feet.

One of the commentators claimed the tackler can do whatever they want, including throwing him back to the ground, right up until the ref calls release.

kurt faulk

Coach
He makes some interesting points which I agree with. It's well worth reading that article.

He's all over the place.

Like I've said many times, you can have the best rules in the world but in the end the referees, and especially the useless ones in the bunker, have the last say.

He's been around more than anyone to know he will never see consistency. Ever.

Saxon

Bench
He makes some interesting points which I agree with. It's well worth reading that article.
He makes some interesting agenda driven points.
Not saying I necessarily disagree with some of them, but it's typical Wayne. Totally intended to manipulate the refs.

Latest posts