What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref argument

roopy

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
Welcome to the world of rugby league. When you start bitching about referees and their possible/perceived biases you know you've made it.

Let's all sing (to the tune of My Darling Clementine)

Who's your father,
Who's your father,
Who's your father referee,
Haven't got one,
Never had one,
You're a bastard referee.

roopy said:
Let's all sing (to the tune of My Darling Clementine)

Who's your father,
Who's your father,
Who's your father referee,
Haven't got one,
Never had one,
You're a bastard referee.

No, lets not. I realise that wherever rugby league is played there will be people giving refs grief, it's part of our game, but that doesn't make it right. Refs need encouragement and if there are people in the US willing to do the job they should be congratulated. It's great that there are more and more players getting involved overseas but just like here in the heartlands there is no game without refs and other officials.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
ALL Axemen players are American Citizens except 2. Those 2 are myself and Ricky Brown and both of us live and work here. I have been in the States for 10 years now. We have NO imported players.

Loser

Juniors
Do the warriors have any americans at all?
check there website & it looks like an all kiwi side with a couple of aussies.
Big strong side not to mention a little scary. They took 2 knights players out for the season last time the knights played them including captain/coach Matt Astill with a broken arm & co-coach Gilam with a neck injury. I'm sure this week match will be another bruiser.

IrishRugby420

Juniors
I read this forum often as I am an avid AMNRL fan, but never posted. I must comment on this particular argument though, I have watched this league since they played all games at Northeast High in Philadelphia and the reason there are not that many refs isn't training them and willing people its the fact that EVERY team in the league cries and whines all game long about every call the refs make or miss. The game will improve when the attitudes do !!

Screech

Juniors
Honestly who cares!!! The players in the NRL give it to the refs, Premier League give it to the refs, QLD Cup give it to the refs, Im sure I heard the ref at the Under 8's game copping it too. The team that plays the best footy will win 99 out of 100 games, so play footy and dont worry about where the ref works, a try is a try at the end of the day and they will have to rule that way. Love your passion though boys, there are some really intense rivalries starting to form and it makes for great watching/reading when two teams hate each other that much they will do anything to win. Yip Yah its finals time....

Skinner

Coach
Loser said:
Do the warriors have any americans at all?
check there website & it looks like an all kiwi side with a couple of aussies.
Big strong side not to mention a little scary. They took 2 knights players out for the season last time the knights played them including captain/coach Matt Astill with a broken arm & co-coach Gilam with a neck injury. I'm sure this week match will be another bruiser.

Do you have a link to their site please Loser - keen to have a look at them.

Cheers
Skinner

Skinner

Coach
Screech said:
Honestly who cares!!! The players in the NRL give it to the refs, Premier League give it to the refs, QLD Cup give it to the refs, Im sure I heard the ref at the Under 8's game copping it too. The team that plays the best footy will win 99 out of 100 games, so play footy and dont worry about where the ref works, a try is a try at the end of the day and they will have to rule that way. Love your passion though boys, there are some really intense rivalries starting to form and it makes for great watching/reading when two teams hate each other that much they will do anything to win. Yip Yah its finals time....

Bang on Screech,

The referees are as much a part of the game as the ground condition,
the weather, the amount of air in the football. They're just another factor
in the game.

Enjoy it and get on with it - it ain't gonna change.

roopy

Referee
refs are a different breed. They love the power of ordering guys around - and they pretend to hate being booed, but they love getting up people's noses.
They are the guys you picked on at school - giving it back to you in spades.

IrishRugby420

Juniors
Nice link Screech.............and great comments about refs being just another part of game like field conditions, interchange and weather. Is there any type of rules in the NRL about players bitchin at ref's? penalty or sin bin actions perhaps AMNRL ref's should enforce those if there are ? Skinner great job with JAX this year, looking forward to your growth and developement.

Tomahawk

Staff member
I think every team in the AMNRL bitches about the referees call during every match. However, I think there are some teams who just try to bully the referee, and are good at doing it.

I myself have bitched at a referee because I think he made the wrong call, or that he missed a call. Hey we all do it. If you are a competitive person you do it. However, some teams have every person on the field, and bench bitching at the referee. This gets out of hand. There should only be one person talking to the referee during the game, and that player is the captain.

Screech

Juniors
IrishRugby420 said:
Nice link Screech.............and great comments about refs being just another part of game like field conditions, interchange and weather. Is there any type of rules in the NRL about players bitchin at ref's? penalty or sin bin actions perhaps AMNRL ref's should enforce those if there are ? Skinner great job with JAX this year, looking forward to your growth and developement.
The NRL refs are a protected species, if a player or coach openly critises a ref they are hit with a big fine. On the field all the players bitch and whinge but it gets them nowhere, all the bitching and whinging in the world will ever get a ref to change their decesion but players still do it, the better refs deal with it and the game continues.