What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Simpkins escapes axe

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10453281&pnum=0

SYDNEY - Referee Paul Simpkins won't be dropped this weekend despite National Rugby League (NRL) officials today admitting he blundered in sending off New Zealand Warriors fullback Wade McKinnon.
The NRL's match review committee ruled McKinnon had no case to answer after he was marched by Simpkins for allegedly kneeing Wests Tigers forward Taniela Tuiaki on the ground in the final minute of the Warriors' 28-16 win yesterday.
"Clearly he's made an error, but thankfully that error didn't play any part in the outcome of the game," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.
"He won't be relegated. He's one of our most experienced officials."
But Annesley suggested their stance might change if Simpkins made any further such errors.
Earlier this month, video referee Steve Nash was dropped after his controversial obstruction call denied McKinnon a crucial first half try against North Queensland -- a decision which had a significant bearing on the Warriors' loss.

Annesley admitted there was "conflict" between McKinnon and Simpkins yesterday.
It escalated minutes earlier when McKinnon protested after being penalised for fighting on a touch judge's report when it appeared the Tigers' Chris Heighington threw the first punch.
Simpkins was heard telling McKinnon: "If you want to go on with that again, you'll be sitting on the sideline."
Annesley said there was every chance Simpkins, a test and State of Origin referee, would control a Warriors match again before season's end.
"We don't hide refs from clubs, and clubs can't request which referees they want."
Coach Ivan Cleary also escaped penalty for approaching Simpkins under the Campbelltown Stadium grandstand after the final whistle.
Simpkins told Annesley that Cleary knocked on his door and "cordially" asked for clarification of the McKinnon decision.

"The rules state referees should not be approached after the game but clearly it wasn't a serious incident. I'll be talking to the (Warriors) club and reminding them of the rules," Annesley said.
Cleary said he was very disappointed with the McKinnon decision.
"All I know is he got sent off for a knee when I didn't see a knee. It's an extremely big call to make in any game."
Cleary hoped referees weren't targeting the Warriors.
Simpkins awarded eight consecutive penalties to the Tigers in the second half yesterday.
"It's going to be hard to win games down the track if you're on the end of such a harsh penalty count. Maybe there's some things we need to work on a bit," Cleary told Fox Sports.
"There's always a concern that a ref's decision might influence the game. But I've got confidence in the referees doing the job. There's not much you can do about it."
Warriors centre Jerome Ropati will also escape suspension despite being charged with a grade one dangerous throw on Tuiaki in the 71st minute.
An early guilty plea tomorrow will free him to play Newcastle in Auckland on Saturday.
Meanwhile the Canberra Raiders were today issued with a breach notice recommending a A$10,000 fine after coach Neil Henry said referee Jared Maxwell had a "pre-conceived idea" of how their match against Melbourne would go.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair enough I suppose.

IMO Simpkins should've been dropped, but at the same time NZ and McKinnon need to drop the siege mentality.

RLIF

Juniors
He made a mistake, big deal....he will learn from it. It didnt cost anyone the match so i have no problems with it...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
The guy made mistakes, not just against McKinnon but in the game in general which part of it had some level of effect on the game. and yes because
'he's one of our best referees' they think he's safe enough to keep in the bank.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
Fair enough I suppose.

IMO Simpkins should've been dropped, but at the same time NZ and McKinnon need to drop the siege mentality.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Iafeta

Referee
wittyfan said:
He only survives as the depth of refeering is so poor.

Yep, just goes to show the lack of accountability and credibility in the referee's division.

I mean, it's not like he missed a forward pass, he sent a man off for a knee to the head. He claimed to have seen something that was never, ever the case. In other words, he was blinded by rage and fury and was unable to conceive the truth. And his reprimand, nothing. Annesley states it didn't change the outcome of the game, great, lets look at the result rather than the root cause. The Steve Nash one mightn't have cost a game if was 24-0 with 2 minutes remaining, does that not make that decision a punishable offence? Are officials not accountable when one team has wrapped a game up? Does that mean if a team skips 50 out the referee can send blokes off for serious fouls that don't happen because it doesn't affect the outcome?

That is a very dubious comment.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Aah well if everyone feels this decision to keep Simpkins in 1st grae is fine then good on you. I know I've long lost any hope of having faith in the referees. Now I just hope all teams can play to their absolute potencial and win games because they have the team to win and not because some guy with a whistle and wearing bright highlighter yellow has seen something in his eyes.

Lets not forget a ref is human they should make mistakes.

If they were first year referees sure, I think we can be leniant on them. But if they've got 200+ first grades apperances I'm not so sure. Oh well.

Iafeta

Referee
Mistakes on forward passes? Sure. That's a judgement call. That's a very serious judgement call to accuse and execute a man for kneeing a bloke to the head. That's a very cowardly act, I can only think of one in the NRL currently who was cowardly enough to do it. It goes to show Simpkins is in such poor form he has to make serious judgements without having a clear view of the facts. That's not acceptable for mine.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ian - I'm a nuffy on an internet forum. The Warriors are supposed to be a professional Rugby League organisation with shareholders they're answerable to. Pot/kettle/black doesn't wash buddy.

Iafeta

Referee
When you've got "Don't use your hands with me" Hayne, Steve "I'll blow the god damn pea out of it I want, it's my party fool" Clark and a few others, is that such a big accolade?

Nook

Bench
Can't believe it.

You'd have to go a long way to find a worse performance by a ref.

Simpkins kept both sides back 15 metres all day which in and of itself is a disgrace - completely changes the nature of the game.

The Warriors went 35 mins without giving a penalty away and then after a bit of a boo from the Tigers fans the ref awards 8 penalties against them in the second half. He killed the Tigers in the first half. He killed the Warriors in the second half. And he was clearly influenced by the crowd.

And as if all of that wasn't bad enough - he also sent a bloke off for something he didn't do.

But Finch "he's one of our most experienced officials" so we won't drop him.

Translation: "This merkin is the best we have. I'm f**ked."

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
Ian - I'm a nuffy on an internet forum. The Warriors are supposed to be a professional Rugby League organisation with shareholders they're answerable to. Pot/kettle/black doesn't wash buddy.

I was actually referring to the Bulldogs

I don't see that much, if any of a seige mentality from the Warriors FTR

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Timmah said:

Wow, and we're getting a schooling about how to behave properly from a Dogs fan...:crazy:

Iafeta

Referee
Timmah said:

Agreed.

Latest posts