What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

carcharias

Immortal
Refs only have an option to bin if a try was not scored. They rule on what the greatest advantage is. A try vs 12 men? You'll take the try every day.

In relation to discipline, the only option that the ref has (protocol wise) is a send off, which was not worthy in this case.

Correct call by Cummins

Still a shit call.
Blatant professional foul.
Not to mention a pretty bad dog act.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think you mean wait until 8:01 Saturday night when the first of this year's 999999999999 bad calls against the Raiders occurs
*9:01 NSW/ACT time.
Uniforms are better, with the black in it.

When they finally get rid of the pink, they can be taken seriously.
Really?

Pink makes sense because it's arguably the least used jersey colour in the league (outside Women in League round).

Lucky for you on Saturday the refs in Penrith v Newcastle are wearing yellow so you can respect them more ;-)

Card Shark

Immortal
Lucky for you on Saturday the refs in Penrith v Newcastle are wearing yellow so you can respect them more ;-)

Good choice of colour - fluro yellow is the best, with black stripes.

Current ref uniform is almost like Qantas ;-)

Timmah

Staff member
The reason they're wearing yellow... is because Penrith are wearing Pink. Still ok with it? :p

firechild

First Grade
Refs only have an option to bin if a try was not scored. They rule on what the greatest advantage is. A try vs 12 men? You'll take the try every day.

In relation to discipline, the only option that the ref has (protocol wise) is a send off, which was not worthy in this case.

Correct call by Cummins

I thought that was only the case for a penalty try, i.e. you can't penalise a team twice for the same offense.

I would have been ok with Reynolds being binned for is professional foul even with the try being scored.

Timmah

Staff member
That seems ridiculous to me... he committed a professional foul. Shouldn't matter if the try was scored or not, since when was double jeopardy a thing in the NRL?

BigSteveo

Juniors
That seems ridiculous to me... he committed a professional foul. Shouldn't matter if the try was scored or not, since when was double jeopardy a thing in the NRL?

It's only a professional foul if the foul prevented a try scoring situation. Since a try was scored in the same play it is no longer a professional foul, so the sin bin does not apply. Referee took the advantage.

Had Reynolds did something like knock the attacking player out with an elbow or something as serious then it would be subject to further disaplinary action.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
It's only a professional foul if the foul prevented a try scoring situation. Since a try was scored in the same play it is no longer a professional foul, so the sin bin does not apply. Referee took the advantage.

Had Reynolds did something like knock the attacking player out with an elbow or something as serious then it would be subject to further disaplinary action.

so if you try to cheat but fail at cheating... no penalty?

I bet they fix that rule.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Knock on against Maloney was the only howler I can think of. I don't mind refs missing penalties (seriously if that Teo shouldercharge gets suspended we are in for a LONG season), but seeing things that aren't there are frustrating.

In saying that, I didn't really notice the refs tonight which means they did their job.

If Snowden received 7 weeks for standing there as a bloke ran into his shoulder, then Williams and Teo should have some sleepless nights. Here's the clip that led to 7 weeks being missed as well as being sent off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvCsEVnQCgI

The NRL had a drop in ratings last year. I know the shoulder charge rule affected my interest. It's highly unlikely but I'd love for it to come back. I guess rule changes like these are the results of a banker being in charge, who had little understanding of our great game!

Timmah

Staff member

The foul prevented RTS (I think?) from scoring, did it not? Instead the try was scored by somebody else. Yes - there's advantage applied obviously, but to me the try supercedes a penalty being blown, not the player committing the professional foul being immune from the sin bin.

papabear

Juniors
I agree with timmah, he still stopped a try from being scored even though another try was scored in the same play.

Should have been binned.

BigSteveo

Juniors
The foul prevented RTS (I think?) from scoring, did it not? Instead the try was scored by somebody else. Yes - there's advantage applied obviously, but to me the try supercedes a penalty being blown, not the player committing the professional foul being immune from the sin bin.

You can apply the logic of if a player was taken without the ball outside of a try scoring opportunity (eg on halfway) than a penalty is sufficient. If that player is taken out but his team mate runs away with it and scores, do you go back and award the penalty and send the offending player in the bin? No.

The greater advantage in last night's game was to award to try. A referee cant penalise the same infringement twice and the only way Reynolds would be dismissed was for a send off offence, which this wasn't.

I know this as I used to referee and a current NRL referee (wont mention names) was involved in a mentoring capacity. He gave us a complete rundown on these procedures after one of our first grade refs made a blunder in a try scoring/dismissal situation.

carcharias

Immortal
You can apply the logic of if a player was taken without the ball outside of a try scoring opportunity (eg on halfway) than a penalty is sufficient. If that player is taken out but his team mate runs away with it and scores, do you go back and award the penalty and send the offending player in the bin? No.

The greater advantage in last night's game was to award to try. A referee cant penalise the same infringement twice and the only way Reynolds would be dismissed was for a send off offence, which this wasn't.

I know this as I used to referee and a current NRL referee (wont mention names) was involved in a mentoring capacity. He gave us a complete rundown on these procedures after one of our first grade refs made a blunder in a try scoring/dismissal situation.

I don't think people are saying the ref got it wrong . ..IMO the rule is wrong.
It is a blatant professional foul ..ie tackling a bloke without the ball on purpose so he won't score.
If they'd not scored they would have more than likely been awarded a penalty try and Reynolds would have been sin binned.
So they get the points and get the other team down a player.

Next time Jennings or whoever it is should not score on purpose...then get the points anyway plus have the other team down a player.

BigSteveo

Juniors
I don't think people are saying the ref got it wrong . ..IMO the rule is wrong.
It is a blatant professional foul ..ie tackling a bloke without the ball on purpose so he won't score.
If they'd not scored they would have more than likely been awarded a penalty try and Reynolds would have been sin binned.
So they get the points and get the other team down a player.

Next time Jennings or whoever it is should not score on purpose...then get the points anyway plus have the other team down a player.

I see your point, but as the rules stand (as per the referee guidelines) a player can't be sin binned while you award a penalty try. Has to be a send off or no action on the offender

Latest posts