What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee for Final?

Coastbloke

Bench
Hmmm...

It's between England vs Australia..

So Hayne is Australian..Ganson is a Pom..

I'd say to stay in line with sporting credibility, it could be ummm.....Williamson (NZ) or Alibert (France)

But I'm happy with a PNG ref if you know of one...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ganson works for me. Rather not Hayne, do not want excuses.

Not sure why Hayne was not used for NZ v ENG

But no to the frenchie and kiwi, not up to it.

deluded pom?

Coach
Australia knew what they were doing when they let the RFL have Ganson for the earlier match. They'll now point out that we've played under Ganson so it MUST be Hayne's turn.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
has to be hayne, as much as id rather not have accusations of bias and as much as i dislike hayne, ganson shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a whistle in any professional match ever again.

i actually wouldnt care if they plucked out another SL ref (i know they wont), but i've seen ganson do 2 games and he was terrible in both

Charge

Juniors
The RFL will argue that Hayne is not up to the job as he is used to being 1 part of a 2 ref team. The ARL will argue that it is now his turn as Ganson reffed the last match between Aus and England. I want a neutral, but I don't think we will get it.

typicalfan

Coach
All refs are neutral.

I want the best ref regardless of nationality and despite this I think we will have Ganson anyway. I think Hayne not reffing alone for 12 months hurts his chances.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Australia knew what they were doing when they let the RFL have Ganson for the earlier match. They'll now point out that we've played under Ganson so it MUST be Hayne's turn.

Yeah, 'cause Carr and his mates are so tactically brilliant and it was so obvious to everyone that the Poms would get up over the Kiwis!

Seriously though - I don't think bias actually comes into it (although there's some shocking stories about French officials back in the day).

Even though the game would flow better under an Aussie ref, I'd rather Ganson got the game since:

1) over the years we've had plenty of Aussie refs at Aussie games, and since there is a difference in interpretations between the Aussies and Poms I think it's fair enough that the Poms get more games under the interpretations that their used to

2) dspite being frustrating to watch, I think this would make for a closer result.

3) the Pommy supporters won't be able to blame the Aussie ref for the result.

deluded pom?

Coach
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/nov/08/four-nations-final-england-australia-referee

HG

• England's Steve Ganson expected to be named referee for Four Nations final

• Ganson is right man for the job, says referees controller
• Kangaroos want Shayne Hayne to take charge of showpiece

Steve-Ganson-001.jpg
Steve Ganson is not Australia's favourite referee, but is expected to be in charge when the Kangaroos face England in the Four Nations final. Photograph: Matt King/Getty Images

England are set to win the first battle ahead of Saturday's Four Nations final against Australia with the likely appointment of a home referee. Steve Ganson has perplexed and occasionally infuriated the Kangaroos in controlling their first two matches of the series against New Zealand at the Stoop and England in Wigan, where he sent the scrum-half Johnathan Thurston to the sin-bin, and their coach, Tim Sheens, is understood to have expressed a preference for Shayne Hayne, the tournament's only Australian referee, to be appointed for the final.
But the referees controller for the Rugby Football League, Stuart Cummings, who is also in charge of match officials for the Four Nations, revealed today that he would be arguing strongly that Ganson should be appointed ahead of Hayne partly because Hayne is not used to refereeing matches by himself as a result of the Australian authorities' decision to appoint two referees for all games in the National Rugby League last season.
"It's got to go to the form referee, and for me that's Steve Ganson," said Cummings. "He's the most experienced international referee in the world, and he'll certainly get my vote for the final. We have to remember that the NRL referees are now used to working with somebody else."
The appointment will be announced tomorrow after a decisive vote from Ian Mackintosh, the New Zealand referees coordinator – with Australia's case for Hayne likely to be further undermined as their director of referees, Robert Finch, is on holiday in the US.
England seem to have benefited from home advantage in the refereeing appointments for the Four Nations compared to last year's World Cup in Australia, when each of their four games was controlled by an official from the southern hemisphere. This time they have had Ganson against Australia, followed by Thierry Alibert – a Frenchman who was appointed to the Super League panel last season – in Saturday's game against New Zealand.
However, it is worth noting that Great Britain also had a home referee, Russell Smith, in charge for their last appearance in a major final – when they were beaten 44-4 by Australia in the Tri-Nations series of 2004.
The Kangaroos returned from Paris to Leeds today with Sheens reported to be considering a major selection surprise. Michael Jennings, a Penrith Panthers centre who played for Tonga in last year's World Cup, scored a hat-trick in their patchy 42-4 win against a France side who have battled impressively throughout the tournament, and could now replace Justin Hodges in the final.

ozbash

Referee
like hell he is..

A kickboxing Auckland plumber may be the surprise compromise candidate to referee Saturday's Four Nations final between England and Australia.
Forty-year-old Kiwi Leon Williamson, who trained fulltime in Thailand as a kickboxer before taking up refereeing over a decade ago, could be handed the whistle after a round of political horse trading.

With England and Australia playing to very different interpretations of the game, the appointment of the referee is a crucial call and the balance of power hangs with a New Zealand administrator, Ian Mackintosh.

Williamson refereed Australia against France at the weekend, the first time in five years the Kangaroos have accepted a Kiwi official after criticising Christchurch's Glen Black in the 2004 Tri-Nations.

England are likely to veto Australian referee Shayne Hayne, the Australians have indicated they will block England's Steve Ganson, and neither side is likely to want Frenchman Thierry Alibert roundly criticised after Saturday's New Zealand-England match so unless one backs down, Williamson is last man standing.

The decision lies with the three nations' refereeing bosses, Stuart Cummings (England), Robert Finch (Australia) and Mackintosh (New Zealand), with a tournament bylaw saying a neutral is "preferred".

The debate is so heated that NZRL chairman Scott Carter who backed Williamson indicated the sport's bigwigs were likely to get involved at an International Federation meeting overnight. Mackintosh told Fairfax last night he was voting for Williamson, and said he was disappointed at comments from ARL chief executive Geoff Carr that, as part-time referees, Williamson and Alibert were "amateur Andys".

Williamson runs his own plumbing company and mainly referees in the NRL's reserve grade NSW Cup competition, or in the Auckland Fox premier division, where referees earn $60 per game for their efforts.

But Mackintosh said: "I'm not sure he [Carr] knows who is in the system because Leon has been involved with the NRL system and this is his third trip to the UK. [My vote] is not national patriotism, it's meeting the terms of reference for the appointment.

There are four points one, he has NRL and Super League experience, two he is in very good form, three, he is used to the one-referee system, and four, both teams would get an unbiased referee who will give them the best of both worlds."

Australian coach Tim Sheens said there were a "lot of politics involved" and that opposing teams wanted referees who would allow a slower game, which didn't suit the Kangaroos.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3046926/Kiwi-likely-to-referee-Four-Nations-final

Latest posts