What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing Decisons

Bigfella

Coach
In the Canberra Brisbane game, and the Manly Warriors game, a couple of video ref games had massive, momentum and game-turning results.

The no-try against manly was one of the most astonishing I have ever seen, although I have to say that I have no great sympathy for some of these over-coached sides that rely so heavily on decoy runners (Brisbane, Manly, Melbourne Cronulla etc).

What both games showed though is that if you let the decisions get to you - you will certainly get beaten. Manly seemed to turn it up completely after that decision, and Canberra were a bit the same.

We have to be prepared for some dud calls, and be prepared to win games in the last ten or twenty minutes.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Manly got a try off a 50 metre forward pass I thought I was watching the Dallas Cowboys against the New York Jets

Sorry Big Fella but as soon as I saw the Manly one I though, Nup. The referee went to the video and he agree the decoy runner with out contacting the player impeded the other player. It was an obstruction and I thought a fair call.

The Raiders one on the other hand was not played out. How he got played at out of that astonishes me and that change the momentum of the game. Same as Manly Vs Parra at Brookvale, the Driving tackle on Eric Grothe Jnr, not being penalised and Grothe drops the ball. IF it is seen as a lifting tackle we get the penalty in good position, the way it went they got the scrum in good position and went on with it.

sportsmad

Juniors
didn't Des Hasler have a sook!! never heard a post match conference like it. FFS you scored off a blatant forward pass you muppet, did you forget to mention that one :crazy:.
sorry for that outburst fellow parramattians.
geez i hate Moanly.

The Colonel

Immortal
Titans run the exact same play MITS and and off that play I have seen to tries scored and both have been to the video referee and it was awarded. No player is impeded nor taken out - it is a bad read by the defence. Donnelly scored on the weekend and Bailey has scored on that play in the past as well.

Manly have used that play in the past generally with Stewart running into the gap that Orford creates and it to is awarded a try. The two players that Robertson ran by could have easily made the tackle.

Almost every game this weekend has had a bad call against most sides. Doesn't sit well for tonight.

I generally don't support Manly in most things but that call was blatantly wrong.

Hurriflatch

Referee
the scary thing is based on the games so far this weekend Tony Archer would be my pick for grand final ref

Parra Guru

Coach
Bigfella said:
The no-try against manly was one of the most astonishing I have ever seen, although I have to say that I have no great sympathy for some of these over-coached sides that rely so heavily on decoy runners (Brisbane, Manly, Melbourne Cronulla etc).

Was it similar to the one in Melbourne that got awarded? Even though the decoy runner actually knocked a defender to the ground?

I think Melbourne have a bit of immunity with the video ref. They always seem to benefit from the 50/50 calls?

Hurriflatch said:
the scary thing is based on the games so far this weekend Tony Archer would be my pick for grand final ref

that's because the tigers couldn't help themselves to challange Haveachat

Felt for the Raiders though...they were jipped majorly. The Steve Michaels "try" and the Carney no try....fmd.

The Colonel said:
Titans run the exact same play MITS and and off that play I have seen to tries scored and both have been to the video referee and it was awarded. No player is impeded nor taken out - it is a bad read by the defence. Donnelly scored on the weekend and Bailey has scored on that play in the past as well.

Manly have used that play in the past generally with Stewart running into the gap that Orford creates and it to is awarded a try. The two players that Robertson ran by could have easily made the tackle.

Almost every game this weekend has had a bad call against most sides. Doesn't sit well for tonight.

I generally don't support Manly in most things but that call was blatantly wrong.

If that is the case then I will say all of them should not have scored.

In this case, the Player that supposedly made the bad Read "Witt" Turned to slide with the attack to see Watmough running through in his line. I think it was a fair call and if we have done it. Then we shouldn't have the points either.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
If that is the case then I will say all of them should not have scored.

In this case, the Player that supposedly made the bad Read "Witt" Turned to slide with the attack to see Watmough running through in his line. I think it was a fair call and if we have done it. Then we shouldn't have the points either.

If the player has turned to slide with Watmough then it doesn't automatically make it an obstruction call. If it was then every second man play that teams run on the weekend would have to be called for obstruction. If Witt did slide then it is up to the player on his outside to keep sliding. It was a well worked move and one that should have been awarded.

Fact of the matter is not one referee nor video referee is on the same page when it comes to obstruction plays and they all have different interpretations. If Harrigan had of been video referee then I can almost guarantee that try being awarded.

I have to agree with Hasler in that this finals series hinges on the referees and not about them getting it right.

The Colonel said:
If the player has turned to slide with Watmough then it doesn't automatically make it an obstruction call. If it was then every second man play that teams run on the weekend would have to be called for obstruction. If Witt did slide then it is up to the player on his outside to keep sliding. It was a well worked move and one that should have been awarded.

Sorry what? He didn't slide with Watmough he try to slide and if he did slide he would have Hit Watmough. That is what caused the gap for the player to run through. Watmoughs line running impeded the defence from sliding to tackle the player.

But your of anther opinion. Such is life.

The Colonel

Immortal
Swann could have made the tackle on Robertson but thanks to the video ref the Warriors benefited from poor defence. Witt turned to tackle Watmough but did not tackle him so he was not impeded. The only advantage gained was from the poor defence - Logan Swanns.

If Watmough had the ball and threw a dummy pass to player on Witts right and stepped back inside into the gap if Swann doesn't slide with Witt is that bad defense or an obstruction play? It is the same concept - the dummy runner and dummy pass both create gaps when the outside player doesn't slide.

Hayne was awarded a try when Hindmarsh ran through the line against Manly. Same play. No consistency. Considering it was awarded by the refree co-ordinator it might be time for everyone to be on the same page.

The Colonel said:
If Watmough had the ball and threw a dummy pass to player on Witts right and stepped back inside is that bad defense or an obstruction play? It is the same concept - the dummy runner and dummy pass both create gaps.

Difference would be he had the ball and was finishing his run, not that he was a dummy runner, if that had happened, Witt would have tackled him. But he didn't have a chance cause of the line he ran.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Difference would be he had the ball and was finishing his run, not that he was a dummy runner, if that had happened, Witt would have tackled him. But he didn't have a chance cause of the line he ran.

If Witt falls for the dummy then he doesn't tackle him which funnily enough was what happened in that play yesterday. Witt fell for the dummy and the player receives the ball and runs through the gap. It is bad defence plain and simple.

CharlieF

Juniors
Why should Manly be punished for the Warriors bad sliding defence.

Beside, Ward has already said that it was Orford that was penalised not Robertson. So it wasn't for impedeing the sliding defence, it was for using the gap created by Watmough for getting the pass way. So much for using dummy runners. I thought that was all part of the game.

CrazyEel

Bench
I thought it was a very well executed decoy run by Manly with the Warriors simply making a bad read in defence. No one impeded the defence and TBH I was astonished when the VR denied it.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I would've given it a try if I was the ref BUT

I can see how the video ref did disallow it given other calls this year.

I was not shocked at all when it was denied

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The refs yesterday we're absolutley clueless, huge decisions in the context of the game. Both we're 12 point turn arounds and the game changed straight after them. Hopefully the grand final will not be decided by a referee's stuff up.