What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing was appalling

Meth

Staff member
I thought the refs had a fair game....yes they let things go that normally wouldnt go unpenalised, but thats just how it is now
Chocs ptb a big error...thats about it

Warriors had a fair go. That wasn't the case v the Tigers, but it has definitely been the case for the last 2 weeks...and I am not an Archer fan

edabomb

First Grade
Thought it was a pretty blatant strip on Mateo leading up to the Brett Stewart try. They never replayed it though so people probably missed it - Matai has a massive raking motion to pop the ball loose. That and the Watmough were the only blatant ones to me - both massive calls in the context of the game though.

Slackboy72

Coach
Thought it was a pretty blatant strip on Mateo leading up to the Brett Stewart try. They never replayed it though so people probably missed it - Matai has a massive raking motion to pop the ball loose. That and the Watmough were the only blatant ones to me - both massive calls in the context of the game though.

I think this is the problem with the stripping rule.
Tacklers whose first contact with the man carrying the ball is a strike at the ball get away with strips far more often than those who wrestle the ball off the tackled player. It's just too hard for refs to conclusively say what happened.

eozsmiles

Bench
Threads on refereeing should be banned.
There are only about 10 people in the whole world that want to be refs, do we actually expect them to be good at it? Not to mention that the rules set them up to take a beating every week.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I agree with the FoxSports commentators who disagreed with the VR. But it was just another decision against Manly, we are used to it.

Oh yeah, you copped it square and true in the first half...:sarcasm: please. If anyone is used to rubbish refereeing decisions, it is us. We copped it the whole game against the Tigers but were good enough to get up over it, and then got nailed again in the GF (in the first half at least)

By that token, the Foran decision was bullsh*t. Life is not played out in ultra-slow frames, that was a try. But a lot of referees have no feel for the game.

I don't usually use this term, but lol at the guy who said refereeing threads or criticism should be banned. They're professionals (in name at least). The players cop it, so too should the refs.

AuDragon

Juniors
This was not as bad as the Tigers - Warriors or Manly - Broncos, but there were dodgy calls in the first half which influenced the outcome of the game imo.
The Watamong PTB and DCE obstruction as well as a late tackle by DCE on a grubber kick by Johnson which prevented him from chasing his kick in a dangerous position.

The Foran no try is a correct call. There is a replay from behind were the knock-on is clearly visible.

Having said that, Manly was the better team. They were more desperate in defense and the Warriors committed too many mistakes, so as much as I hate them, congrats to the deserved winners...

Cletus

First Grade
This was not as bad as the Tigers - Warriors or Manly - Broncos, but there were dodgy calls in the first half which influenced the outcome of the game imo.
The Watamong PTB and DCE obstruction as well as a late tackle by DCE on a grubber kick by Johnson which prevented him from chasing his kick in a dangerous position.

The Foran no try is a correct call. There is a replay from behind were the knock-on is clearly visible.

Having said that, Manly was the better team. They were more desperate in defense and the Warriors committed too many mistakes, so as much as I hate them, congrats to the deserved winners...

You can't see his other hand in that shot. It was on the ball the whole time. Watmough's PTB should have been a penalty though.

Mr Fourex

Bench

Agreed....clearly bounced the ball, although

put Foran in a spectacular somersault heading over the dead ball line (ala Ben Barba)

and most likely one of Harrigans cronies would have awarded it........

AuDragon

Juniors
Agreed....clearly bounced the ball, although

put Foran in a spectacular somersault heading over the dead ball line (ala Ben Barba)

and most likely one of Harrigans cronies would have awarded it........
Yeah, I think he knocked it on too, but since there were no clear images on that one, I'll accept the BOTD...

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Have they ever had split screen replays ?

For example with foran's no try it would have been good the see both shots at the same time side by side.

Manly were the better team ( the flick pass from hoppa was magic) but I thought the DCE one was an obstruction

Cletus

First Grade
Have they ever had split screen replays ?

For example with foran's no try it would have been good the see both shots at the same time side by side.

Manly were the better team ( the flick pass from hoppa was magic) but I thought the DCE one was an obstruction

You can see it from the first replay that he had both hands on it, it's only the one shot from behind that looks like he might have lost contact with it. It was BOTD at worst, it was like they were looking for a reason not to award it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JucTlT46StQ&feature=player_embedded

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Manly was the better team. They were more desperate in defense and the Warriors committed too many mistakes, so as much as I hate them, congrats to the deserved winners...

They were, I think a lot of people would like to have seen how it would've gone without all the calls going Manly's way in the first half though.

We saw how the Warriors came back in the last 20, what could they have done without Cherry-Evans' try on HT?

Foran's try was BOTD at worst. I was sat in a room of Warriors supporters and not one even considered it wouldn't be given.

AuDragon

Juniors

El Diablo

Post Whore
Manly's first try would not have happened if Matai had been penalised for tackling a Warrior without the ball near Manly's end

so then Manly get possesion and receive a penalty which lead to Brett Stewart's try when the Warrios should have had a fresh set of 6 in Manly's 20

horrible refereeing

AuDragon

Juniors
They were, I think a lot of people would like to have seen how it would've gone without all the calls going Manly's way in the first half though.

We saw how the Warriors came back in the last 20, what could they have done without Cherry-Evans' try on HT?
Yes, agreed. As a Broncos fan, I felt the same way about the QF against Manly.

Fact is, Manly were ruthless, took advantage of that bit of luck with refs calls and the bounce of the ball and rode the wave. Can't really blame them for that...