What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee's and Robert Finch

sando88

Not a Moderator
sharks got good chance of knockin off souths. they will be more hungry then sum teams in the top 8

mickdo

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/56500/douglas-send-off-the-wrong-call-finch/default.aspx

NRL.com said:
Douglas send-off the 'wrong call': Finch

National Rugby League Referees Coach Robert Finch has conceded that the actions of Sharks player Luke Douglas at Brookvale Oval on Sunday did not warrant a “send-off” despite the forward today being charged with a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle.

Mr Finch has said that the consistency of rulings by referees this year should have seen the matter placed on report and a penalty awarded on-field.

“It was a harsh decision in the circumstances and you can understand the Sharks being upset,” Mr Finch said.

“Having reviewed all the vision and audio, it is clear that the video referee, Phil Cooley, suggested the matter certainly deserved being put on report and that the referee made his own decision from there in terms of the send-off, which he is entitled to do.

“I respect the fact that Phil Haines is prepared to make decisions but we also have to accept when they are wrong.

“He’s a good referee who will learn from the experience and this won’t have any impact on future decisions by other referees.

“Send-offs remain there for an important reason and if the referee has a clear view of an illegal act that warrants a send-off then he should use the send-off rule.

“If he is in doubt as to either the circumstances or severity of the offence then he has the option of placing a player on report.

“These are options that the referees have used extremely well for the most part of the season and there won’t be any change to their approach going forward.”

Finch, just piss off. Please.

beave

Coach
"You really think the Roosters can beat the Cowboys?? I doubt it..."

Don't be suprised Mickdo.........we've won once against the chooks in sydney, and that was 10 years ago.

beave

Coach
this is what should have happened.

Haines should have blown the whistle for the penalty and indicated time off then asked for advice from the video ref as to what action should be taken out following the VR viewing multi angles.

Whilst the review is being carried on upstairs, he should have brought both touchies in and the other ref, got all their opinions on it, so as to get some 'real time' opinion (which also makes them feel all warm and fuzzy as they think they are somehow involved in the decision making process).

once the VR had seen multi angles, HIS advice should have taken by Haines. Cooley had the opportunity to see the incident from far better angles and would have made a fair better call on the whole situation than the on field ref.

If it is true that Haines made the decision on his own and upgraded the severity of the punishment after Cooley said 'put it on report" then he needs his a$$ kicked royally.

Now we all know that Cronulla are down the bottom and this decision didn't cost them a GF or a top 8 spot. HOWEVER, this is all a dress rehearsal for what it about to happen over the next month, if this is the type of mind set these guys have then something needs to be done now.

Cronulla regardless of their position on the ladder deserve the same level of professional officiating (and I use that term very loosely) as any of the top teams. Sending a player off these days pretty much commits a team to a loss. The actions of one player can severely jeopardize a victory on the day, and I don't want to see players get away with cheap and high shots, this is the last thing anyone wants to see, but what I would like to see is some common sense displayed by all involved at the game. Benefit of the doubt is another area that needs to be over hauled. We have gone from one extreme to the other these days, not long ago you just about had to sell your mother in order to prove you had scored, now, all you have to do is sneeze on the try line and you are awarded 4 points.

I loathe baggin out refs as I ref sport myself, but the stupidity these guys in pink display at times makes me furious and I really think it is time for Finch to p!ss off and get someone else in charge of these guys who will instill a bit of common sense into the reffing ranks. It is getting f#$king ridiculous.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Thing is the more refs they add the greater the expectation they will get it right and the greater the frustration when they don't. Not to mention the extra refs are probably costing close to $1million a year extra!

My answers to the problems:

1. Get back to one ref and two linesman
2. Discourage TV replays of every decision by the ref
3. Encourage commentators to adopt the attitude that they are human and will make mistakes but it is a part of the game just as a ayer dropping a ball or fluffing a try is.
4. Stop them coaching players and let them get on with concentrating on decisions
5. Get rid of "interpretations" and make the rules obvious, clear cut and easy to decide on.

Exactly what i have thought for ages. Plenty people say get rid of the 2nd ref and video ref and if the referees make a mistake we will accept it. Stop kidding yourself people. As long as channel 9 and Foxtel show the replays and as long as their commentators whinge, then everyone will complain, video ref or not.

Only way to fix the problem with the referees is with a new coach and a change to the laws of the game.

Iafeta

Referee
The referees are diabolical. Yesterday Gavin Badger and the left wing touch judge had painted their a'holes blue and white and they were aiming diarrhoea all over Auckland from a great distance. They destroyed any momentum they had when Tuimavave was ruled to knock on when it clearly was passed backwards into a Bulldog and back into Tuimavave's hands. It was a foolish pass, but from there the Bulldogs got a penalty and got a glut of possession. The left touchie called the first forward pass of the evening right on Goodwin to Morris but missed at least 3 others down that side.

On the Cronulla/Manly game, Cronulla were robbed. Straight up. I'm not a fan of Cronulla, never have been and probably never will be. But I was very sympathetic to them yesterday because of what the referees were doing to them. THat send off was insane. Of course, Finch will back them up for sending him, that's his go, completely incompetence. No matter which way you paint it but 50/50s, 60/40s, 70/30s always go against teams in the bottom 4 and from there the good teams take control of momentum and within 10-15 minutes have usually destroyed the also rans, thanks often to one or two unbelievable blunders.

roboshark

Coach
The refs have ruined the game its simple. Its a joke. Besides my mob I also feel sorry for teams such as the tigers who were also screwed yesterday by those amatuers at brookvale. They can't make it now. Also what about the teams that fall behind manly in the 8. Yesterdays game affected more than just my sharks

I am still pissed off

Iafeta

Referee
"The decision has been made. I can't go back and change it now", Badger. Even he knew he got it horrifically wrong.

squiddy

Juniors
yeh i agree refs cost cronulla the premiership lol
build a bridge

Not the point Sando - Not the point mate . I want the players to decide the results not the idiots with the whistle .

Sure us Sharks fans are pretty pissed off but it may have cost the Sharks the wooden spoon and it may have also cost the Tigers a semi's spot , and may have also got a team into the semi's that perhaps shouldn't have.

The ramifications are huge mate

sando88

Not a Moderator
yeh i agree squidy u missed my follow up post
i would feel exactly the same as u
and as u point out if manly lost tigers wud have small chance still.. it disgraceful decision

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
If the Sharks get the wooden spoon and i was Ricky Stuart. I would march up to the NRL headquarters carrying that wooden spoon...... WITH SODOMY ON MY MIND!

skeepe

Immortal
If the Sharks get the wooden spoon and i was Ricky Stuart. I would march up to the NRL headquarters carrying that wooden spoon...... WITH SODOMY ON MY MIND!

The Sharks don't deserve it. They give 110% every game. The Roosters walk out and salute the white flag.

Latest posts