What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reffing in Golden Point

Meth

Staff member
And yeah- Warriors are certainly not guiltless. Not on Saturday or v Manly at least.

Wizardman

First Grade
The golden point period was shambolic tonight. The ref needs to bite the bullet and penalise for offside in golden point.

aussie7798

First Grade
pathetic players so far offside its a joke
the last play just about the worst defenders where standing 1 metre from Maloney when he got the pass

wittyfan

Referee
Golden Point should be f**ked off altogether, Tedious and ridiculous from the word go.

Wizardman

First Grade
Agree. But they can't now cos they haven't done it ever.
Sadly, I think you are right. The day a ref does it, he'll be the worst person in the world. I do think they need to penalise it though....it is the rules of our game

Vic Mackey

Referee
First GP game...manly v parra..manly penalty...Walker goal =))

Yes but that was when a player picked up a ball from an offside position. Even the refs today would have had to penalise that. Well I think they would..

Wizardman

First Grade
I cannot think of a golden point game determined by an offside penalty. I've never seen a more blatant example of players getting offside in GP than tonight.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I cannot think of a golden point game determined by an offside penalty. I've never seen a more blatant example of players getting offside in GP than tonight.

I'm probably not explaining it right. IIRC a manly player made a break, passed it and was knocked down by a parra player. A parra player who was infront of him the picked up the ball. So it was a blatant offside.

And the dragons won GP in round 26 last year when Farah was called offside after charging down a field goal attempt. However I'm confident that's the only time a penalty for being inside the 10 has been called.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
lol @ the notion that the warriors are playing by the rules in GP and no one else is. I can't remember if it was GP or close to the end of the game but remember when they had a wall if players in front of the play the ball in an attempt to block roosters chasers a couple years back?

Anyways, all teams blatantly break the rules in GP. I remember the roosters/wests 2010 semi, both sides were at least 3m offside for every tackle of extra time.

Lol I remember the wall. Pretty sure it was quickly outlawed after we did it. I think that was last year. It wasn't in GP, but it did tie the game up. We still lost after I think Wright dropped an absolute sitter in the in goal with zero pressure. Rather than having a 7 tackle set from the 20 we had to give the ball back and Roosters scored.

I hate GP, it's a terrible mess. Everyone is offside and pushing the laws as far as they possibly can. Having said that, the Panthers not getting penalised when they tackled Luke was another level that further proved how scared the referee's are to blow a penaly. 3 markers, 2 of them standing side by side. They were a neon sign away from being completely transparent about it and the refs still called it all good.

Wizardman

First Grade
I'm probably not explaining it right. IIRC a manly player made a break, passed it and was knocked down by a parra player. A parra player who was infront of him the picked up the ball. So it was a blatant offside.

And the dragons won GP in round 26 last year when Farah was called offside after charging down a field goal attempt. However I'm confident that's the only time a penalty for being inside the 10 has been called.

I remember that Dragons game. I was gutted after that game but the ref made the right call, albeit the call was a pretty tight one.

I can understand the refs being light on the whistle during golden point but there were some blatant offsides tonight.

Wizardman

First Grade
I can cop the refs not calling marginal calls in gp. But, the offsides were far from marginal tonight.

TheFrog

Coach
And yeah- Warriors are certainly not guiltless. Not on Saturday or v Manly at least.
The article would have had a lot more credibility if it had at least acknowledged that fact. As it stands, it's just another biased rant.

The golden point period was shambolic tonight. The ref needs to bite the bullet and penalise for offside in golden point.

So what happens then is the team that wins the toss and receives the kickoff either gets a nice clean 10 and gets their field goal, or they get a penalty and get into position that way. It would make golden point just a toss of the coin.

Better just to get rid of it altogether.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
The article would have had a lot more credibility if it had at least acknowledged that fact. As it stands, it's just another biased rant.

So what happens then is the team that wins the toss and receives the kickoff either gets a nice clean 10 and gets their field goal, or they get a penalty and get into position that way. It would make golden point just a toss of the coin.

Better just to get rid of it altogether.

I agree with everything you said. I was all for golden point once....I'd rather see it canned as well now.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes but that was when a player picked up a ball from an offside position. Even the refs today would have had to penalise that. Well I think they would..
It was actually a wrong call, I remember there being a big two page story about it in one of the papers with images that showed the player and ball were behind the point of contact so it wasn't offside. It was Matt Petersen though so whatever.

We also won one in maybe 2004 against the Tigers with a Luke Burt penalty goal, can't remember what the penalty was for though. Maybe lying in the ruck?

Anyway topic I don't think either side was onside at any stage in GP tonight. A bit of a farce

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

It's a NZ publication therefore it caters to its audience, just like Sydney and QLD publications do when they largely ignore things like this until it happens to clubs in their area that can get them clicks. The article even says that both sides were blatantly offside in the Warriors V Manly game.

TheDMC

Bench

Jeepers get over your own bias - the point everyone is trying to make is that the refs are pathetic in golden point as so clearly highlighted in this game. Forget about which teams were involved.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Forget which side you support, it's an absolute blight on the game. At least penalty shootouts in football are largely skill and nerve-based. Golden point is a shitfest.

Did we really have an issue with draws before hand? Do either Sharks or Titans fans have an issue with one point from last night? Do they feel cheated?

Latest posts