What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reffing in Golden Point

no name

Coach
Forget which side you support, it's an absolute blight on the game. At least penalty shootouts in football are largely skill and nerve-based. Golden point is a shitfest.

Did we really have an issue with draws before hand? Do either Sharks or Titans fans have an issue with one point from last night? Do they feel cheated?
As a Titans fan I feel a bit ripped off about the fact that an extra 10 minutes was played for the same result anyway.
Puts a dent into next week's preparation.
I was always a fan of golden point, but the fact it has just become 10 minutes of who can get away with the most infringements without getting penalised has changed my attitude towards it.

JJ

Immortal
Agree. But they can't now cos they haven't done it ever.
This is the NRL, stupid as it would be they could well suddenly crack down in golden point - consistency is what's needed, and more than a cursory glance at the rules - but the whole format is flawed, and that's what we're seeing on field.

Did we really have an issue with draws before hand? Do either Sharks or Titans fans have an issue with one point from last night? Do they feel cheated?

Pretty sure they are happier than Penrith fans, or Warriors fans from the weeks prior... 1 point is great, if teams can't separate themselves after 80 mins why have a sham game?

Play-offs are different, but still should be a true extra time, not this shit-fest

GW.

Juniors
for 80 minute teams battle and hit eachother with the forces of fridges.

then its a 1 point shootout, despite never obtaining the ball in golden point from the kickoff, youve found yourself lost all that hard work.
OUTRAGE.

Incorrect

Coach
Nothing wrong with a draw at the end of normal time for regular season games. Goldent Point is a farce and should be scrapped IMO. Imagine if a team is playing in Round 26 and 1 competition point is all they need to secure a finals berth, the game goes to golden point... they set up in front of the sticks 15 metres out ready to go for a field goal but some merkin standing 8 metres offside charges it down and then another merkin from the defending team manages to pick up the ricochet and run the length to score and win the game.... Farce Farce Farce.... Get rid of it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If there has to be Golden Point, you should get the "right to reply" similar to the NFL

Meth

Staff member
The article would have had a lot more credibility if it had at least acknowledged that fact. As it stands, it's just another biased rant.

Again, nobody on here (apart from the OP) is claiming the Warriors are saints in GP

Bronxnation

Juniors
on the other hand. what game would take out game of the season so far if golden point didnt exist? Because IMO all the games that can be considered "game of the season" (so far) have gone to golden point

JJ

Immortal
Yep, exactly - close games tend to be exciting... but to be blunt the quality in many of them has been low - thinking Warriors games as a start - exciting and tense, but not exactly premiership challenging football

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
As a Titans fan I feel a bit ripped off about the fact that an extra 10 minutes was played for the same result anyway.
Puts a dent into next week's preparation.
I was always a fan of golden point, but the fact it has just become 10 minutes of who can get away with the most infringements without getting penalised has changed my attitude towards it.

Funnily enough I've got no issue with the extra 10 minutes, ha!

I can't see how they're going to ref GP differently. It's human nature to avoid blowing a penalty that ultimately costs the game, that's not limited to the ineptness of these referees. So something else needs to be done. I just can't stress enough how much I hate golden point after my side has been in 4 of them. Not because we lost 3, but because I just don't enjoy it one bit. I didn't enjoy Saturday's extra 10 when we won. It's mickey mouse.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They all would still have been considered "game of the season" contenders without golden point.

That's a fair point too. Not that I think our game was worthy of that sort of ranking, but it does reduce a magnificent contest to a food fight at the end. Leaves you walking away thinking 'that was kinda crap in the end'.

some11

Referee
Agree, if anything both sets of players and fans walk away after a draw with more respect for each other.

GW.

Juniors
would there be any merit in still awarding the loser team 1 point?

it just seems weird that the panthas on the weekend got the same amount of points than the souths who were thumped by 50?

Nuts

Juniors
Last night had to some of the worst I have seen regards offsides by both teams. Why the F**k doesn't Tony Archer have to come out and explain why not one offside penalty was blown!! It's an absolute disgrace and such a blight on our game!

GW.

Juniors
Last night had to some of the worst I have seen regards offsides by both teams. Why the F**k doesn't Tony Archer have to come out and explain why not one offside penalty was blown!! It's an absolute disgrace and such a blight on our game!

Thats just dragging him through the coals.

We all know why he didnt blow.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
would there be any merit in still awarding the loser team 1 point?

it just seems weird that the panthas on the weekend got the same amount of points than the souths who were thumped by 50?

Yeah but so do a side who lose by 2 points in regular time. It doesn't eliminate the issue of golden point being awful. Honestly, if they want to increase the spectacle - they should have Benny Hill music playing throughout the extra 10 minutes. Only way I could bear it.

Nuts

Juniors
Thats just dragging him through the coals.

We all know why he didnt blow.

Shouldn't he be dragged through the coals though? We all sit here and complain about it, all the commentators complain about it, everyone complains about, but we hear nothing from the NRL about it???

Latest posts