What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reforming Lane Cove Tigers

girvie

Staff member
Hi all,

We are looking to reform the once mighty Lane Cove Tigers, along with great support from the North Sydney Junior Rugby League, the North Sydney Bears and the Central Coast Bears.

We are looking to create a fun and friendly rugby league environment and provide an opportunity to play rugby league in the Lane Cove area.

We are holding an Information Meeting at Lane Cove Public School (Austin Street) commencing at 7:00pm on Thursday 8th December 2011 and are looking for new players, parents, prospective volunteers and former Lane Cove players and officials to come along.

We are also holding a free Come and Try session for boys and girls aged between 5 and 12 years old.

If you would like further information or to be involved then please send me a private message.

If you know anyone in the Lane Cove area or anyone in general who may be interested may you please pass this message onto them. Thanks!

Coastbloke

Bench
Mate, have you thought about (if funding allows - maybe apply for a grant to the League that runs that grade/comp) a note in the Public Notices in the North Shore Times or maybe through RLW..??

papabear

Juniors
thats brilliant. best of luck with it, i agree that an advert in the north shore times or a big sign to hang up wouldn't go astray if you could get the ARL to pay for it aswell :D

I would like to see a team in the mid north shore, i grew up in lindfield and it always ticked me off that there was no rugby league side anywhere nearby for ages to play for.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks guys. Yes the North Shore Times have been great and will be running an article for us.

There has been some discussion about starting a club in the Ku-ring-gai area... around St Ives or West Pymble. There used to be a club based at West Pymble. Once Lane Cove are up and running they will have another look at further expansion.

papabear

Juniors
Sounds great, turramurra high runs around in school comps every once in a while so I'm sure u could get a team from there, specially since ppl are over soccer by under 12 s

KAB

Juniors
As former Lane Cove Tiger, its great to see a come back in order. I now live up the coast but was excited to hear the news and will be following with interest.

girvie

Staff member
The Lane Cove Tigers club will be holding the following registration days for the 2012 junior rugby league season.

Registration Day: Saturday 4th February at Lane Cove Plaza (timber deck) between 10:00am and 2:00pm

Come and Try clinic plus Registration Day: Monday 13th February at Pottery Green starting at 4:00pm

Registration Day: Saturday 25th February at Lane Cove Plaza (timber deck) between 10:00am and 2:00pm

The Come and Try clinic is a great opportunity for children to try the game and see if they like it.

Registration is FREE for the 2012 season as this is the comeback year for the Lane Cove Tigers after a 10-year absence. This includes jerseys, shorts and socks, plus all children get a free NRL season pass.

Please contact lanecovetigers@gmail.com with an enquiries.

Red Bear

Referee
My dad played for brothers when he played footy up there, Lane Cove were the big rivals at the time so good to see they're reforming

girvie

Staff member
How many teams are you guys hoping for in your first year back?
We have had interest across a range of age groups. Initially we were aiming for 2 teams but the response has been good so now we are hoping for 3 and if we can fill a few more then it will be a great bonus.

girvie

Staff member
Just to give you all an update...

Lane Cove Tigers will be fielding 3 teams in 2012 in the U6s, U7s and U9s age groups.

We have children from 11 different schools and also some pre-schoolers in our U6s team. Only 2 of them have played rugby league before however they are all very enthusiastic to play and are picking up the skills very quickly. We have a couple of girls as well and they are doing just as well as the boys.

We have one or two spots left in our Under-7s team so if anyone within the surrounding area has a child born in 2005 who may be interested in playing then please let me know.

We have training at Tantallon Oval at 4pm on Tuesdays if you want to come down and have a look.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Glad to hear it! I was a Lane Cove resident for about 6-7 months in 2011 and loved the area. Good to see some RL development in the area :)

KAB

Juniors
Well done, go the Tigers. Willoughby did this some years back and now look.

Keep the good work up, I still have my tigers jumper, It a was the team I played for and it was grand final, we went down to Berowa. Good times, good luck

girvie

Staff member
After an outstanding return season in 2012 the Lane Cove Tigers club are preparing for a new season in 2013. The club was delighted last year when George from our Under-7s team had the honour winning the Skins Rugby League season top try scorer award, for most tries throughout all of Australia.

The Lane Cove Tigers will be holding a Come and Try clinic for on Tuesday 19th February on Tantallon Oval starting at 4pm. A great way for boys and girls to give rugby league a go and see if they like it!

We will also be holding registration days in Lane Cove Plaza at the following times:
Sunday 10th February - 9:30am to 2:00pm
Tuesday 12th February - 3:10pm to 5:00pm
Saturday 23rd February - 9:30am to 2:00pm

Please contact lanecovetigers@gmail.com with any enquiries.

Check out some fantastic photos from season 2012 and 'like' our page at https://www.facebook.com/lanecovetigers

girvie

Staff member
Are you guys expecting a jump in team numbers for your 2nd year back?
Yes we will have a couple more sides.

My priority is to see all of last year's players return, and at this stage it looks like they'll all be back, apart from a few who have moved out of the area (I have been referring them to their new local league clubs).

We have also been getting a good amount of interest for new players... looking likely to get a second Under-10s side and we'll be adding a new U6s team as well. We will field as many sides as we can get the numbers for and will be doing a lot of promoting over the next 6 weeks.