What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ref's calls

decent game from hampstead.... but nobody's perfect

1. storm's first try - wasn't covell tackled without the ball by scott hill. you'll never see that given but that's exactly what happened

2. sully's try - i think the pass leading up to nigel's kick was forward. actually a few forward passes were missed last night.

3. simmon's tackle - if that wasn't a headslam then i don't know squat. slater may or may not go on report but i don't think we even got apenalty, and then had to use up an interchange to cover his loss. simmo was going ok too

4. grapple tackle - storm seemed to be up to their old tricks on numerous occassions. no notice taken despite repeated complaints. smith almost crushed stevo's windpipe at one stage. that's dangerous.

roboshark

Coach
Agree with all except maybe no 1- would have to have another look. What about tackle on stevo when they wouldnt get off him- stevo goyt up blowing up- no penalty- it seemed obvious that it shoud of been

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
Agree totally, especially in regards to your first point! Although they could argue he had posession for like .00001 of a second, still it was an interesting decision

sublimeshark

Juniors
What about Stevo's no try.. Dykes looked to have his hands on the ball the whole time and there was no knock on, in fact it was brilliant that he managed to get it to Kimmorley.. Should've got that one

And we did get a lucky call from the ref with what was a knock on later in the second half, but we were allowed to continue. Goes both ways, well done Sharkies!

Foz

Bench
Would of liked to of seen the head slam tackle a few more times.
Couldn't make my mind up.
Why only the 1 replay?
Got to see a good run from Hutch again.
Strange.

Jimbo

Immortal
sublimeshark said:
What about Stevo's no try.. Dykes looked to have his hands on the ball the whole time and there was no knock on, in fact it was brilliant that he managed to get it to Kimmorley.. Should've got that one

Incidentally, that try would have put us on top of the table.

With a kick to come...

Yeah was watching game with Nulla we thought the same thing about Covell being taken before the ball with Melbourne's first try. Nothing was said by commentators or ref though.

I was ok with the no try for dykes' knock on. I though it would go that way from the first replay.

I thought Hampstead didnt control the ruck area very well tonight.There were times when both teams easily could have been penalised, especially the first 20mins of the second half.

fatshark

Bench
decent game from hampstead.... but nobody's perfect

Dude that was one of the worst refereed games Ive seen all year, hardly decent.
It did play in our favour though as the slow play the balls destroyed the rolling Storm attack. He hammered us in the first 50 minutes with rough penalties and gave us non in return but in the last twenty gave us three bullshit calls against the Storm. Shocking !

gunnamatta bay

Referee
It's been discussed a million times on the nrl forum but I want to know what ever happened to the 'benefit of the doubt'? Two weeks in a row. Vagana last week. Stevo this week. A bloody premiership could hinge on this!!!

metalshark

Juniors
i thought stevens try was too hard to call, therefore benefit of the doubt should give us the try, that wasnt to be. Then for the storm first try, i thought he had his foot out, then covell was tackled without the ball and i thought surely, we were not given the last try so the storm should not get this try. Not to be.

Also i agree with fatshark, first 60 mins went storms way, after that everything went our way.

Overall, poor performance by ref and 3rd ref

The Stevens try showed an obvious problem with the video ref system. If Stevens had been tackled and the Sharks had scored from the next tackle, it would have been a try. Hampstead and his touch judges need to make up their mind on things like that. He saw the incident enough to call play on - but he also needed another look. It's a couple of bob each way.

For the record I dont think it was a knock on.

imasharkie

Coach
Actually a few things came into being this week.
1)Refs call
2)Video ref got a call changed in the Panthers v Warriors game
3) Benefit of the doubt

Maybe the referrees brigade noticed the ref errors from our game against the Broncs and decided they would put things in place unfortunately came too late for us.

i feel weird defending a ref, but no way that was one of the worst controled games. not clamping down o the grapple was abig mistake but apart from that seemd to apply his interpretations fairly and consistently.

kept control and let the game flow. you going to mark hampstead's performance below what we've had in recent memory from the likes of archer, hayne, simpkins, clark, etc ?

Latest posts