What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocation of Sydney clubs

41yearsaint

Juniors
As far as SE QLD goes.
Broncos have 5 feeder clubs, Storm has two and Gold Coast has two.
Ipswich would be a logical choice in the future for a club. Broncs will fight like hell not to lose that nursery.

Dragon for life

Juniors
tuff topic as although almost everyone seems to agree there needs to be relocation from Sydney, no one wants their club relocated.

Given that what criteria should be applied if any. The matching to TV rights will make waiting for financial issues to force it unlikely or at least less practical.

Personally I think the dragons are safe, but if they moved it wouldn’t be the end, (in a large part as I live outside Sydney anyway).

Interested in the thoughts of others who are more affected...
Dragons relocation please. Up to Brissy please.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not to sure to many are actually hearing what is being said.

It won’t be relocation of Sydney clubs based upon anything other than financially falling over. That’s it kaput, final.

That being the case I expect the NRL to look at new teams up to an 18 team comp and that will depend on the television rights and willingness to pay for an extra game each week.

Exactly this:
In fact we can see the same scenario that was played out in the AFL. They have an eighteen team competition, but have used expansion very effectively with 2 teams in QLD, 2 teams in NSW, 2 teams in SA and 2 teams in WA. They play games in TAS, NT and Canberra, so basically covering every State and Territory. NRL on the other hand, is basically restricted to the east coast and NZ.

No matter what people think of the game of AFL the admin side of their sport seems so superior.

I think expansion to 18 teams is inevitable for NRL, I just hope they think about the longevity of the new franchises.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Some years ago, the NRL came up with several criteria that teams had to meet to retain a licence. These criteria related to junior numbers and junior development (eg employment of development officers) ground facilities (lighting etc), sponsorship and income and a few others I don't recall.

I don't know what happened to those criteria which if applied today would immediately signify the death of a team like the Roosters which has a very small junior league- and getting smaller courtesy of the Swans. The preoccupation with finance as the only meaningful criterion is a very short sighted approach and sucks up to the Nick Politises of this world who seem to have inordinate control over key decision making officials.

Personally I would love to stand back and watch the fireworks if Souths and the Roosters were faced with merger, relocation or extinction. I was upset by the Sharks going it alone in 1966 which coincided with the last year of the St George 11 year premiership run. I was also concerned about losing our identity after the merger and still get annoyed whenever the Dragons don't line up in the big Red V jersey. Time for the Soosters or Rouths to go thru the same pain!

Could be worse. The Steelers fans pining for appearances without the red V in a decent homage to the Illawarra would be doing it a lot tougher.

Generalzod

Immortal
Common sense says this would be ideal but shear dislike between the two clubs won't allow any consideration.
I was watching the footy show last night on Fox and again they where on about relocation Kent was on the panel he started that the likes of Bunnies and Roosters are safe, but when it come to the Sharks he said Geography is their problem, with the St George area, so the Sharks have an issue with Geography but the bunnies and Roosters don’t the guy is a hypocrite..

possm

Coach
I was watching the footy show last night on Fox and again they where on about relocation Kent was on the panel he started that the likes of Bunnies and Roosters are safe, but when it come to the Sharks he said Geography is their problem, with the St George area, so the Sharks have an issue with Geography but the bunnies and Roosters don’t the guy is a hypocrite..

I don't rate Kent highly at all.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Could be worse. The Steelers fans pining for appearances without the red V in a decent homage to the Illawarra would be doing it a lot tougher.
Meh..

We’ve been dragons now for longer than there ever was a Steelers side in 1st grade..

So there’s more pride in the red v than many would think..

I just hope when we do a full buyout of the dragons JV licence that St George dont try and hang onto the jersey..

Meh..

We’ve been dragons now for longer than there ever was a Steelers side in 1st grade..

So there’s more pride in the red v than many would think..

I just hope when we do a full buyout of the dragons JV licence that St George dont try and hang onto the jersey..

I have a better chance of buying WIN out than WIN has of buying St George Leagues Club out :))

Gardenia

Juniors
1. Bought out, not sold out

2. If the dragons have “a massive following in Australia” it means they are more ripe for relocation as there are fans in other locations

3. The “new licence” peice he mentioned said nothing about being St George only, so don’t lie. Lies make baby Jesus cry.

4. No Illawarra, no security. The Sydney market is too crowded to stand alone.
Correct a Mundo

The fact the Dragons are so popular makes them an attractive option to sell to another state . From memory there are a lot of mighties fans in QLD. I’m kind of hoping Illawarra connection will save us

Gardenia

Juniors
I believe that relocation is not really on the cards for any of the current 16 clubs. Merge or Joint Venture more probable, with Manly and the Central Coast region being the most likely.

Perth already has a registered team playing in SG Ball known as the Pirates.

The more interesting scenario is that we now have a Victorian team now playing in JF, known as the Thunderbolts, and obviously aligned with the Storm. Previously I believe they played out of QLD. So, this indicates to me that an expansion team in either Brisbane or Ipswich the most likely outcome. Interestingly they also have a new junior club called the Mustangs. QLD also have the PNG Hunters playing in their ISP and there is also talk of Fiji joining our CC competition.

For me, the most likely outcome here is 2 expansion teams in the short term (making 18) and 2 more in the long term (making 20). My guess would be: Perth and Brisbane/Ipswich as the first 2, with NZ and Pacific Islands (Fiji/PNG) as the long term goals.
I live on the central coast and we have had school visits from the roosters . Last year local junior football clubs had a connection to the roosters also . Manly haven’t had any influence here but the chooks have . Not sure if it’s relevant

BBTB

Juniors
Greenberg has said the main criteria will be a club’s ability to be financially independent....so that means the Roosters, a club with the fewest juniors, mediocre crowds and in an area shared by another club will be safe. Cronulla after their developers’ money are now safe while the NRL will not relocate any regional club, so that means Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle, Gold Coast and North Queensland are safe. The Warriors are safe and with Greenberg running the show, the Bulldogs are hardly going to be in the firing line. The NRL will not endanger league in Western Sydney so at least one of Parramatta or Penrith will be safe, more likely than not, both. The NRL would remember the bloody nose Souths handed out when the League threatened to kick them out of the comp so they would probably be scared to try it again. Essentially the two clubs most in danger are West Tigers and Manly. On one level Manly deserve it for what they did to Norths years ago but the argument will be made that Sydney needs a club north of the harbour so Wests will be heading to Perth or Brisbane. Us? We are not totally safe as Beattie said how national the St George brand is. Thank god for our Illawarra connection....I think it will save us but it is likely that not too long in the future the Sharks will absorb our traditional heartland and we might return to Kogarah only in the heritage round. I fear my crystal ball might be accurate.
Wow, good take.

possm

Coach
I would suggest relocating Scumnulla to somewhere between here and NZ,
but the ocean is already polluted enough.

I'd say most clubs would accept a joint venture over relocation. On paper a joint venture is supposed to produce a more financially successful entity - two or more leagues club supporting the NRL rugby league team.

In the case of Wests and Balmain, a poor fit for two struggling Clubs. Should maybe have been Balmain and Canterbury and Wests and Parramatta at the time. Now a Canterbury / West joint venture covering junior clubs all the way out to Campbelltown seems to be a good fit.

A St George / Cronulla / WIN Corp partnership would be a good idea.

Easts and Souths should be compelled to participate in a joint venture if only for the purpose of releasing a licence to be used interstate.

Parramatta / Penrith and Manly / Central Coast should also be jointed for the same reason.

Surely the extra size in fan base and the addition of junior leage teams would add to the riches of clubs that participate in a joint venture. This along with the addition of additional leagues clubs would go a long way to improve the financial positions of these proposed joint ventures.

Some years ago, the NRL came up with several criteria that teams had to meet to retain a licence. These criteria related to junior numbers and junior development (eg employment of development officers) ground facilities (lighting etc), sponsorship and income and a few others I don't recall.

I don't know what happened to those criteria which if applied today would immediately signify the death of a team like the Roosters which has a very small junior league- and getting smaller courtesy of the Swans. The preoccupation with finance as the only meaningful criterion is a very short sighted approach and sucks up to the Nick Politises of this world who seem to have inordinate control over key decision making officials.

Personally I would love to stand back and watch the fireworks if Souths and the Roosters were faced with merger, relocation or extinction. I was upset by the Sharks going it alone in 1966 which coincided with the last year of the St George 11 year premiership run. I was also concerned about losing our identity after the merger and still get annoyed whenever the Dragons don't line up in the big Red V jersey. Time for the Soosters or Rouths to go thru the same pain!

Or Cronulla.

possm

Coach
Or Cronulla.

Rules were relaxed to accommodate Super League Clubs back into the NRL. It is now time to review this policy with the reduction of 5 licences being the goal. These 5 licences will then be used to expand the reach of rugby league without increasing the number of clubs participating. Under this system current fans can continue to support their local club and gate numbers would increase.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I believe clubs will be offered either
1. Relocation
2. Merger

I would favour mergers as its would keep existing fan base close by.

rednwhites

Juniors
The one and only thing I like about a 12 team competition is that there is no way Paul McGregor gets a run as head coach anywhere.